In Need Of Advice. Please.

29 replies to this topic

#1 Khazad Boom

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 11:15 AM

I set this account up to build an IS FP deck and branch out from QP and clan mechs.

I bought 2 Warhammers already. The 6R and 6D. I want them to be my core mechs. I havent bought any mechs besides those. I havent even touched them yet. Ive used the Warhammer trial mech almost exclusively and saved an additional 11 million cbills.

I am torn between buying another Warhammer and a 55 tonner (Shadow Hawk or Bushwacker) OR buying either the Battlemaster 1G or 2C and buying an Assassin for that deck.

I will play whichever I pick in QP until I have them all skilled and upgraded and ready for FP.

I hate to make a bad decision on this and regret it later. Im open to any advice or criticism because I know I havent looked at all the options and need help. Please.

#2 Jaster Me Reel

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 11:47 AM

I think either would be fine. If you want the best FP deck for normal Invasion, I would go with the battlemaster and the assassin because the assassin has some of the best hitboxes and is fast enough to handle any objectives you may need to take. The battlemaster would be a great first drop with the additional armor.

The mediums would be better if you want something you could use for both Invasion and Scouting. The bushwacker is one of the best mechs for scouting with a great balance between, armor, hitboxes and firepower. So the choice for you is this: do you want a better Invasion only deck (go with option 1) or a decent Invasion deck with a couple you mediums you can also use for Scouting (option 2). Hope this helps.

#3 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 21 December 2017 - 12:00 PM

That is fairly sound advice, but also, don't beat yourself up, until you build up a good stable of mechs you will almost always find yourself wishing you have the ones you didn't buy....

#4 Khazad Boom

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 02:36 PM

Thank you both very much. I just have a couple more questions if you dont mind.

1.) Is the Assassin a good mech for Scouting? Im really leaning toward Option 1 and I only have 4 mechbays so far.

2.) Which Battlemaster is more useful for Invasion, 1G or 2C? I noticed the survivability quirks on the 2C but the 1G has offensive quirks.

#5 pheeere

• PipPipPip
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in a non-euclidean corner of the map

Posted 21 December 2017 - 03:07 PM

View PostKhazad Boom, on 21 December 2017 - 02:36 PM, said:

Thank you both very much. I just have a couple more questions if you dont mind.

1.) Is the Assassin a good mech for Scouting? Im really leaning toward Option 1 and I only have 4 mechbays so far.

2.) Which Battlemaster is more useful for Invasion, 1G or 2C? I noticed the survivability quirks on the 2C but the 1G has offensive quirks.

1. Depends on what role you want to play, or what role you are more comfortable with. Do you like backstabbing or tanking damage? If you like to go for the latter, then get a Griffin-2N with ECM and 4x ASRM6. Or the Bushwacker (P1?) with 6 missile hardpoints. Load up 4 ARSM6 and deadside with the other. But prepare for Clanner tears if you choose any of these, you are supposed to pick a Spider with 1 MedPulse and just die and be laughed at and told "git gud boi" ;) A scouting team with 3 Bushwackers/Griffins and an Assassin is really strong. But you need to play out the Assassins strengths, a legged Assassin is not going to help anyone.

2. Both are totally viable and very good. You could build the one with structure quirks with LargePulses and MedLasers for a brawl job, but the Warhammer 6D does that just fine. I would recommend the Battlemaster as your ERLargeLaser platform. I think the 1G has an Energy Range Quirk, but the 2C has 2 AMS. Pick as you prefer, there are units out there who actually use Clan LRMs. You can't go wrong with these mechs!

A Shadow Hawk is also a good choice, it provides a good sniper with 3 ERLargeLasers on high hardpoints and good brawler builds for both Scouting and Invasion. I just never felt comfortable in them, but that's just me. Might revisit them at some point, though. A Crab is also worth considering, it can tank a lot and spread the damage well due to it's design. I think the guys from MS do Crab rushes regularlry, going for legs of heavier mechs and/or objectives (with 5 MedPulse setups and 100+ kph speed).

Long story short: Warhammer 6R, Warhammer 6D, Battlemaster 2C/1G and an Assassin is really good deck. You can build around it and add more mechs for variability. Another 6R with 2x Gauss for hot maps, or a Cyclops with 6x ASRM6 (highly recommended) for brawly maps and light mech to complement the tonnage.

#6 Khazad Boom

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:03 PM

I appreciate the feedback on this. Thank you.

#7 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 11:41 PM

BLR-1G is more flexible than the 2C. It is a top-rate ERLL carrier and, with the Medium Laser Range and Heat quirks (which work with ERML), it can pack a bigger mid-range punch than the BLR-2C can and from further away.

Edited by Yeonne Greene, 21 December 2017 - 11:41 PM.

#8 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:14 AM

BLR-1G and ASN-21 make for the better drop deck.

#9 dominikabra

• PipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:36 AM

In my opinion, stick to the BLR-2C and never look at the 1G. The 1G feels like it's made of tinfoil paper instead of armor. Dies by just looking at it. It's the only mech I've ever sold out of 92 I currently own. With the 2C things are completely different. Just my 2c.

#10 GweNTLeR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 583 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:37 AM

A shadow hawk is a really nice option for both scouting and big FW. 2H/2D with AC-20+3SRM 4 simply does the job right. 2K with 3xMRM20 is a very nice damage dealer once you get used to MRM. 2D2 with lbx and srm's might be a little outdated but still dangerous.
A bushie is also a nice option. A very strong mech with virtually no drawbacks.
Assasin is not a strong damage dealer. It is durable as hell, but it is actually the only pro of it.
Battlemaster is a very nice long range mech, but nothing really special on medium range.
If I were you, I'd get a medium range deck (a hawk and CTF-3D w 2x UAC10/vomit grasshopper). It would grant you fine scores on virtually every map.

#11 Khazad Boom

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 05:48 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice.

#12 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:12 AM

You'll notice there are a lot of different opinions, which is because people play differently. Think about how you play and go with that.

Also, please consider joining a unit that drops FP, it makes it MUCH easier/more fun to drop FP in a group. Additionally, they may have deck "recommendations" so that everyone is running similar builds... giving you an idea of how to flesh out your deck.

#13 Khazad Boom

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 02:51 PM

I do appreciate all of the help.

After reading your advice, and tossing it all around my head over the last couple of days, For my first deck I went the 3 x Warhammer/ Bushwacker P2 route. I bought one of each Warhammer besides the hero. Im comfortable in the Warhammer chassis and fought enough Bushwackers to respect their toughness and damage outpoot.

To edit, I just realized I said "outpoot" instead of "output". Dang.

Edited by Khazad Boom, 22 December 2017 - 03:06 PM.

#14 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 22 December 2017 - 04:25 PM

View PostKhazad Boom, on 22 December 2017 - 02:51 PM, said:

I do appreciate all of the help.

After reading your advice, and tossing it all around my head over the last couple of days, For my first deck I went the 3 x Warhammer/ Bushwacker P2 route. I bought one of each Warhammer besides the hero. Im comfortable in the Warhammer chassis and fought enough Bushwackers to respect their toughness and damage outpoot.

To edit, I just realized I said "outpoot" instead of "output". Dang.

Nothing wrong with a whammer/whacker deck. Starting off with a deck that has a little bit of everything is probably a good way to make sure you always have 1-2 mechs suited to the map mode as opposed to being stuck with all brawlers and getting Polar/Alpine/Boreal over and over due to bad RNG...

Outpoot is fine. Sounds canadian...

Edited by MovinTarget, 22 December 2017 - 05:14 PM.

#15 Khazad Boom

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 08:16 AM

To start ive been running and upgrading my 7S with 1 erppc in each side torso and an mrm30 in solo queue. A loadout that I can use on any of my WHRs to skill them up.

Should I go more with erll long range type builds or keep it mid range since I only have the four mechs to start with?

#16 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 23 December 2017 - 08:46 AM

View PostKhazad Boom, on 23 December 2017 - 08:16 AM, said:

To start ive been running and upgrading my 7S with 1 erppc in each side torso and an mrm30 in solo queue. A loadout that I can use on any of my WHRs to skill them up.

Should I go more with erll long range type builds or keep it mid range since I only have the four mechs to start with?

Again, with your limited resources, my preference would be to bring 4 mechs with different loadouts so you have at least 1-2 mechs that are viable for any map/mode until you have more mechs to pick from.

If you were to go mid-long range as a rule and leave out brawlers, that's also sound if you are pugging it... It gets mighty lonely if you are dressed to brawl and no one else comes with you...

#17 pheeere

• PipPipPip
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in a non-euclidean corner of the map

Posted 23 December 2017 - 09:29 AM

View PostKhazad Boom, on 23 December 2017 - 08:16 AM, said:

Try it with 2x MRM30 and 4x ERSmallLasers with an LFE, you're going to love it ;) Currently my favourite mech with many 650+ dmg matches in QP. It sounds odd and the MRMs are not regarded as good these days, but boated as MRM60 and higher they really shine. The high mounts really help, too. Just obliterates components, the bigger the target, the better. And the Small Lasers complement the build well and function as Backup weapons in the torso. The arms are entirely for shielding. ERPPCs are way too hot, imho. And the Warhammer loves to be in close combat. Let it rain, twist, and let it rain again. As a Marik loyalist, my MRM60 Warhammer is of course named "Purple Rain" :D

#18 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 02:54 PM

With only 1 deck you'll need to be set for all situations. Do the 2C with larges or LPLs and the Assassin. Do mid range loadouts on the Whammies.

Until you've got 6-8 mechs to draw from and have the long range deck and the short range deck you need a set if 4 strong performers who will get you paid regardless.

Oh, and get the Bushie. No question. Either snub and AC20 or ann srm build, Bushie is a great performer.

Edited by MischiefSC, 23 December 2017 - 02:56 PM.

#19 naterist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts
  • Location7th circle of hell

Posted 23 December 2017 - 03:54 PM

tbh man, id hold off on fw IS side until you can get 4 decks ready, a brawl deck, an erll deck, a midrange vomit deck, and a midrange dakka deck. before doing all that though, get a group and find what their running, so you dont have to rebuy everything to match what they have.

clan mechs have a lot more room for user error, so switching to IS is going to hurt if you arent used to it, and you need to be running the mech as efficiently as possible, since your putting out less damage, and moving generally much slower than your enemies are. you gotta make every shot count, and every time you expose yourself has to be for a reason. due to all that noise, you need a team that already understands those principles, and you should build to match them, since any personal deck, no matter how op it is, will still get stomped if your teammates are potatoe. one mech can not stop a genrush from even a crappy clan team, and it sure as **** cant stop a push from a decent or good team.

#20 Khazad Boom

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 05:44 PM

View Postpheeere, on 23 December 2017 - 09:29 AM, said:

Try it with 2x MRM30 and 4x ERSmallLasers with an LFE, you're going to love it ;) Currently my favourite mech with many 650+ dmg matches in QP. It sounds odd and the MRMs are not regarded as good these days, but boated as MRM60 and higher they really shine. The high mounts really help, too. Just obliterates components, the bigger the target, the better. And the Small Lasers complement the build well and function as Backup weapons in the torso. The arms are entirely for shielding. ERPPCs are way too hot, imho. And the Warhammer loves to be in close combat. Let it rain, twist, and let it rain again. As a Marik loyalist, my MRM60 Warhammer is of course named "Purple Rain" :D

I did this but with the ST280 default engine. First match: 3 kills, 863 damage. Thanks for the tip! :D

I just wanted to say THANK YOU ALL again for the helpful advice.

Edited by Khazad Boom, 24 December 2017 - 07:11 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users