Where Does The Nascar Come From.

78 replies to this topic

#1 IL MECHWARRIOR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 02:36 AM

Someone suggested it comes from map design: the central object (hpg, river..) creates it. I disagree cause people nascar even on polar.

When we played peeking stalkers, peeking hgn and jumping cataphracts 5-6 years ago there was no nascar.
When clans got released there was no nascar.

Nascar comes from:
-overnerf of assault mechs: if i can take a cheetah or an assassin, nascar all around and kill a direwolf there is something wrong in game balance, people get bored of being nerfed on assaults and so go on lighter and faster mechs.

-overnerf of accell-decell rate. This is a tragedy. Many mechs just don't peek. People feel they can not front peek the enemy team because their mech does not peek, so they think "let's go on flanks".

Edited by anonymous223, 26 December 2017 - 02:37 AM.

#2 lazorbeamz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 02:45 AM

You dont want to be left behind Thats why you nascar.

#3 UnofficialOperator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 26 December 2017 - 02:48 AM

Because nascar is best car...

And peek on right because weapons on right, shield arms on left.

#4 Troa Barton

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 356 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUS

Posted 26 December 2017 - 02:52 AM

Posted Image

#5 UnKnownPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 266 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 02:57 AM

So nascar makes it harder to peek along with accel / decel alterations.

You can still do it but only with heavies.

This makes it harder to play one particular play style with assaults rather than other mech types. It could still be done if you got a team organised enough to produce an exposed firing line which then all fired at once at approaching mechs, place the heavy brawlers on the left flank to hold the nascar and you can still probably do it.

Alternatively get a brawl setup and push left instead of right. Most people instinctively turn right on entering an area (it's why supermarkets put more profitable items on the right) which might be a contributing factor as to why nascar happens this way.

The main thing ins that this isn't broken or undesirable it just affects a particular play style, don't like it? counter the meta.

#6 MarsThunder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 237 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 26 December 2017 - 02:58 AM

because ppl follow scouts

#7 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 26 December 2017 - 03:09 AM

View Postanonymous223, on 26 December 2017 - 02:36 AM, said:

Someone suggested it comes from map design: the central object (hpg, river..) creates it. I disagree cause people nascar even on polar.

That's cause Polar's center lack any sort of cover, which means people have to nascar if they wish to stay in the trenches.

When we played peeking stalkers, peeking hgn and jumping cataphracts 5-6 years ago there was no nascar.

Nascar comes from:
-overnerf of assault mechs: if i can take a cheetah or an assassin, nascar all around and kill a direwolf there is something wrong in game balance, people get bored of being nerfed on assaults and so go on lighter and faster mechs.

-overnerf of accell-decell rate. This is a tragedy. Many mechs just don't peek. People feel they can not front peek the enemy team because their mech does not peek, so they think "let's go on flanks".

Wrong. We had nascar on maps such as Canyon, and Caustic, way back in 2013. The phenomenon stems from the fact that back then most of the mechs had their big weapons on the right side of the mech, which favored rotating to the right.

Edited by El Bandito, 26 December 2017 - 03:11 AM.

#8 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 26 December 2017 - 03:30 AM

I think rotating to the right has less to do with where the weapons are mounted but more that human are wired to go counter clockwise (e.g. running on the track). Looking at it differently, because of right handedness everything is on the right or go to the right.

#9 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 03:35 AM

On polar it is the open ground, the People nascar around.

#10 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 26 December 2017 - 03:40 AM

NASCAR is both teams attempting to outflank one another, in a limited space. I think this happens because it's a super simple tactic, which is however generally better than the other super simple tactic, which is to stay put. So it's really, really easy to do, and it kinda works, and that's basically why it's well suited for pug queue purposes.

As far as going CCW vs. CW, yeah, when it comes to pug queue, I'm not sure it's based on weapon placement, or any elaborate thinking like that. I think we're just wired to go that way.

#11 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 26 December 2017 - 03:50 AM

Nascar comes from:

Nascar comes from nothing you present as a reason for it.

Nascar Happens Due to

The mechs hard points

Nearly every mech that doesn't have a symmetrical build, has more hard points on the right, and those that are symmetrical, when sword and board builds are made, players mostly chose right side because they're right handed.

Poor play.

People charge off, abandoning the mediums and slow, the slows get abandoned by the mediums in an effort to keep up. so the teams get strung out, and those with the faster assaults usually win. This isn't nerfs, this isn't game design this is purely the players being ignorant and using zero sense.

In some cases poor map design, though even in cases where the maps don't promote this people always go right out of habit.

This happens even in games like world of warships where it's flat with a few islands because it's natural for most people the favour the right hand side.

Because Murder ball is the only tactic Pugs can sometimes get right, a firing line the counter to murder ball is beyond most Q.P capability.

Starting positions.
While this isn't a cause, it can reduce the symptoms of the piss poor situation awareness the average Pug in QP uses.

Have all the assaults set up on a right to left leaving the lights always on the left hand side.

Ignoring the old ways. Posted Image

Only Kings at coronations, are allowed to walk in a circle counter clockwise, your being cursed by the old Gods Posted Image

Edited by Cathy, 26 December 2017 - 03:53 AM.

#12 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 04:05 AM

I won't pretend like I know where it comes from.

#13 Kinski Orlawisch

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationHH

Posted 26 December 2017 - 04:19 AM

WOW..I googeled Nascar..even the direction is on the track..wtf. Its just a circel...they drive fast in a circel and call it Motorsport in the USA....So NASCAR comes from the US players. Never heard about it before.

Edited by Kinski Orlawisch, 26 December 2017 - 04:20 AM.

#14 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,982 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 26 December 2017 - 04:19 AM

Nascar comes from:

1. One reason is that lights and fast mediums do what they are supposed to do: they try to flank or fire in the back of the enemy. With the current alphas slung around you do not want to stare in the assault's guns as a light mech. Therefore they run off to get a different angle on the enemy mechs.The problem starts when heavies and assaults run after the light - which results in a NASCAR

2. A light cannot kill a DW when he parks his arse in front of an obstacle. However, you sound as if assaults (or all heavier mechs for that matter) should kill a light by default. Do you think that is balanced?

Last but not least...locusts and commandos aside lights have hardly a chance to stay out of the firing arc of a heavy or faster assaults for a meaningful time which is hilarious considering how much alphas a light mechs needs to kill an assault. Example: I needed 8 X 5 MPL into the CT back of a Gladiator until it went up (that potato never turned to shoot me because of typical Assault-Tunnel-Kill-Vision)

Edited by Bush Hopper, 26 December 2017 - 04:22 AM.

#15 Yanlowen Cage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 26 December 2017 - 04:24 AM

Human nature.

1. Humans tend to follow thier dominate side. Which by numbers is the right hand. This phenomenon is taught on all compass navigation courses in the military.
2. Humans tend to group together. This is reinforced by the shouts of "group up" in chat. And since the faster lights tend to go right so does the rest.
3. No one takes charge. So without a lead the players do the easiest thing, grouping up and following.

Ever notice that the nascar is normally to the right?

Edited by Yanlowen Cage, 26 December 2017 - 04:26 AM.

#16 SOL Ranger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 232 posts
  • LocationEndor, exterminating little evil bear people for the Empire.

Posted 26 December 2017 - 06:36 AM

Gleeful tunnel vision.

#17 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 26 December 2017 - 06:43 AM

Nascar comes from:

I agree with you but would add this

Posted Image

NASCAR (or {Godwin's Law} car to car people) can also be called terrain masking
you rotate in away as to only expose yourself to one Mech at a time

in the picture above if I came over the top I would have all number of Mechs shooting at me

the death of battle field radar also caused NASCAR to be more prominent

Edited by Davegt27, 26 December 2017 - 06:47 AM.

#18 Siegegun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 424 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 06:44 AM

Nascar happens mainly because it is the most simple, easiest, tactic 12 random people can use to win without much communication.

Teams are constrained by- 1. random builds that do not synergize
2. troll builds (the single lrm20 stalker is real)
3. lack of communication, not everyone is on VOIP, not everyone speaks the same language
4. varying skill level of the pilots (I see people not pressing R, people in assaults not joining the deathball,, etc.)

With those constraints and others I am sure I missed, Nascar is simply the best method of winning. Add in some other points like map design, human nature, etc and we see the Nascar on most maps in most modes.

#19 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 26 December 2017 - 06:53 AM

It's an infinite flank on each other.

#20 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:50 AM