- - - - -

Returning Player Looking For Help.

37 replies to this topic

#1 saagri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 04:21 PM

Hello, I played some time ago and want to return to the game however I have a problem.

I can't load into a match at all. After queuing up and going through the map/mode selection I get a lengthy black screen. Next I get the screen where it shows the map/mode. This can last up to 5 minutes. I once joined in a match where the time was 5:32 and it was over...

Using WIndows 10 Home
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 980
Tried DX9, 11

On a side note, how do you use the search function? Nothing ever shows up.

#2 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 27 December 2017 - 12:33 AM

View Postsaagri, on 26 December 2017 - 04:21 PM, said:

Using WIndows 10 Home
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 980
Tried DX9, 11
You're forgetting the most important part of the equation when it comes to loading... what's your storage?

#3 saagri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 11:00 AM

View PostHorseman, on 27 December 2017 - 12:33 AM, said:

You're forgetting the most important part of the equation when it comes to loading... what's your storage?

I'm using a Samsung 950 NVMe

#4 Broganos

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 128 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 27 December 2017 - 11:32 AM

The forum search is broken and has been for a while I'm afraid. Searching on Google seems the best way to find things on the forum.

Not sure on the other issues though :(

Edited by Broganos, 27 December 2017 - 11:37 AM.

#5 saagri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:26 PM

View PostBroganos, on 27 December 2017 - 11:32 AM, said:

The forum search is broken and has been for a while I'm afraid. Searching on Google seems the best way to find things on the forum.

Not sure on the other issues though Posted Image

Thank you.

Update: Reinstalling the game after updating my gpu's drivers did not help.

#6 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:29 PM

How much RAM do you have, and what kind?

Edited by BTGbullseye, 27 December 2017 - 06:29 PM.

#7 saagri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:16 PM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 27 December 2017 - 06:29 PM, said:

How much RAM do you have, and what kind?

I have 16gb of ddr4 ram

Edited by saagri, 27 December 2017 - 07:17 PM.

#8 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:55 AM

Are you using an SSD or a regular HDD? Do you have a 3rd party antivirus installed? Have you scanned your system for viruses?

#9 saagri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 05:14 PM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 29 December 2017 - 12:55 AM, said:

Are you using an SSD or a regular HDD? Do you have a 3rd party antivirus installed? Have you scanned your system for viruses?

I have a SSD and using Avast! as my AV.

#10 saagri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 05:19 PM

Problem is solved. I deleted the attributes.xml file and load properly now.

#11 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 02:21 AM

Glad you found a solution. Posted Image (and good choice on AV, I use Avast as well)

Also, sorry for asking about SSD/HDD... Somehow I skipped right over your NVMe comment.

Edited by BTGbullseye, 31 December 2017 - 02:23 AM.

#12 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:48 PM

I'm having a semi-similar problem, and I wonder (yes, hijacking your thread; same topic, more or less) if this is a good solution. Here's the deal:

Intel Core i7-7700
Nvidia GTX 1060 (3GB)
16 GB DDR4/2400

Two hard drives; C: is a 128GB SSD (System and Destiny 2 only; everything else goes to ...) and D: is a 1TB 7200 rpm SATA HDD (where MWO has been installed 3 times now).

So, at first all goes well. After 1-3 days of playing MWO, though, I'll suddenly get LONG loading screens, completely miss the voting page, completely miss the pre-drop ready screen, and see a consistent 20-30 FPS MAX (Normally keeps 60+ on all HIGH or VERY HIGH). Worse, this translates to other games too. Destiny 2? Once this crap starts with MWO, D2 gets laggy to 22-30 FPS, with rare spikes back up to the normal 55-60. Plays like absolute crap. Same for Borderlands 2. And so on.

So, attributes.xml you say? Any other ideas? Anything I should be doing differently? I'm 100% positive that this is related to installation of MWO and regular use of it; this is a new machine that did not have this problem until MWO, and nothing else changed. I did a wipe/reset, reinstalled just MWO and D2, and MWO started this junk again a few days later (last night). Wiped/reinstalled again. Problem fixed again. I don't expect it to stay fixed for long...

#13 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,659 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:02 PM

New machine, how new? Can of compressed air, clear out the heatsinks. Check that fans are not only operating but running and base or higher RPMs.
Not mentioned of what OS? If windows 10, did you double check that all updates had been installed? Check windows update history to see if any drivers were installed, and disable that feature.

#14 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:10 AM

If it's a prebuilt machine, meaning one you didn't build yourself, it might be going slow because of heat. If it starts to overheat and the system throttles you, it could be something as simple as needing to replace the thermal compound on the heatsinks. It's really not hard to do, there are tons of videos that show how to do it. Prolimatech PK-1, PK-2, or PK-3 are the best thermal compounds available, and they're also the least expensive. (less than $3 for a decent sized tube)

#15 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:20 AM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 03 January 2018 - 12:10 AM, said:

If it's a prebuilt machine, meaning one you didn't build yourself, it might be going slow because of heat. If it starts to overheat and the system throttles you, it could be something as simple as needing to replace the thermal compound on the heatsinks. It's really not hard to do, there are tons of videos that show how to do it. Prolimatech PK-1, PK-2, or PK-3 are the best thermal compounds available, and they're also the least expensive. (less than $3 for a decent sized tube)

In fact, a prebuilt bought on sale on Amazon. HP Pavilion. I think I read something somewhere about the fans being basically junk, so I may just open her up with some fresh thermal compound and new fans. See where that gets us.

Thanks for the feedback, you and Tarl Cabot!

#16 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,659 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 03 January 2018 - 03:35 PM

Okay so with it being a prebuild, definitely open it up as well as installing and running HWMonitor. Besides new paste (do not smother it!!! ) it would be a good time to check that the heatsinks are actually attached correctly. Something may not have been seated properly or came loose. Once that has been doubled checked, take control of the fans.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

#17 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:21 PM

So. Got a HW monitor. But it's weak. Won't give me CPU temps, but *does* give GPU temps.

Can I assume that 59.0C is too hot for a GTX1060 (not overclocked)?

#18 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:30 PM

59°c Is actually well within tolerances for any of the GTX10xx series.

#19 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:54 PM

View PostNot A Real RAbbi, on 14 January 2018 - 03:21 PM, said:

So. Got a HW monitor. But it's weak. Won't give me CPU temps, but *does* give GPU temps.
Check the settings, maybe you need to set some options to get CPU temps in there (or use MSI Afterburner, which can give you a lot more stats).

Can I assume that 59.0C is too hot for a GTX1060 (not overclocked)?
59 under load? That's fairly cool, anything under 80 is a non-concern.

59 idle? You have a problem.

#20 zzoxx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 133 posts
  • LocationGermany - Eifel

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:47 PM

View PostNot A Real RAbbi, on 02 January 2018 - 04:48 PM, said:

I'm having a semi-similar problem, and I wonder (yes, hijacking your thread; same topic, more or less) if this is a good solution. Here's the deal:

Intel Core i7-7700
Nvidia GTX 1060 (3GB)
16 GB DDR4/2400

Two hard drives; C: is a 128GB SSD (System and Destiny 2 only; everything else goes to ...) and D: is a 1TB 7200 rpm SATA HDD (where MWO has been installed 3 times now).

So, at first all goes well. After 1-3 days of playing MWO, though, I'll suddenly get LONG loading screens, completely miss the voting page, completely miss the pre-drop ready screen, and see a consistent 20-30 FPS MAX (Normally keeps 60+ on all HIGH or VERY HIGH). Worse, this translates to other games too. Destiny 2? Once this crap starts with MWO, D2 gets laggy to 22-30 FPS, with rare spikes back up to the normal 55-60. Plays like absolute crap. Same for Borderlands 2. And so on.

So, attributes.xml you say? Any other ideas? Anything I should be doing differently? I'm 100% positive that this is related to installation of MWO and regular use of it; this is a new machine that did not have this problem until MWO, and nothing else changed. I did a wipe/reset, reinstalled just MWO and D2, and MWO started this junk again a few days later (last night). Wiped/reinstalled again. Problem fixed again. I don't expect it to stay fixed for long...

I had pretty much the same configuration of SSD and HDD and the same problems (immense loading times and frame drops). GPU was my favourite suspect, but in fact it was my Windows 7 System Recovery and in the first place Windows Data index function that messed up my SSD performance to that certain point. I don't know the exact english terms (German > Dateiindizierung und Systemwiederherstellung). Most embarrassing was finding the bug AFTER buying a new GPU Posted Image There are plenty of tutorials about getting to the safe side with the issue. Again i only know some in german.

http://praxistipps.c...-so-gehts_28503
http://www.systemwie.../windows-7.html

Important: If you turn off the Windows backup / rescue functions, make sure you get an alternative instead.

EDIT: Have you checked your windows ressource overview (task manager) for excessive SSD / HDD usage? You can run it simultaneoulsly to MWO running in windowed mode. That's how i noticed.

Edited by zzoxx, 15 January 2018 - 12:10 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users