#21 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 20 January 2018 - 03:10 PM

View PostSilentScreamer, on 20 January 2018 - 10:54 AM, said:

Both the LFE and XL engine can be used. Voidangel's build or Roughnech's second suggestion should work well.

Oh, It Does. =)

#22 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:36 PM

View PostRoughneck45, on 01 January 2018 - 08:14 PM, said:

That build isn't going to be very deadly.

Your best bet with a cent is to load up on SRMs and a big engine or a big ballistic and lasers for backup. Standard or Light engine, whichever you prefer.

In this video, there's a zombie loaded up with SRMs and Artemis.
It's slaughtered by a stock Centurion CN9-D in a point blank fight, by the use of 2 medium lasers and an LB-10X.
And stock CN9-Ds have around half armor compared to a fully kitted out Centurion.

I'm leading the group, and I recall a solo fight against one such Centurion. Another solo fight occurs within the video's montage of footage, too.

My point is just because meta preaches how great it is... doesn't mean it is 'always' worth something.

Just like if you think a build won't be worth anything... you'll sometimes be surprised.

#23 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 565 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:51 PM

Oh man, I remember that UI.

Nice music.

#24 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 20 January 2018 - 06:49 PM

I prefer something less orthodox:
CN9-A(NCIX)-TechTip

#25 Silas7

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 130 posts
  • Location'Mechbay

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:30 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3031bec497bb46f

Is my little LFE brawler, try not to poke so you can save your armor for when you need it. With good twisting and leftside armor skills it really is a sturdy mech even with a LFE.

#26 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:46 AM

CN9-A(NCIX)

That is the Centurion 9A that I use in game, when I don't feel like using my Bushwacker, I find it offers a good balance between kill ability and survivability. Anyone telling you that "Zombie" is the way to go, is living in 2013, the Centurion is one of the few mediums that is good with all three engine types (STD/LFE/XL) provided you know how to twist and present shield sides. I say this as someone with close to 900 drops in the Centurion chassis (A, D and YLW)

#27 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 28 January 2018 - 02:04 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 02 January 2018 - 07:55 AM, said:

You'll want to try and play this build in a style I like to call the Hunchbuddy. Pick a large 'mech, preferably something that wants to fight at close to medium range, and follow them around engaging what they do. Stand behind them and to the side (to not block) and peek around corners just after they do; when they engage, go with them and flank their target if you can; punish any 'mechs who attempt to focus on your Big, particularly lights. If you can get a good Big, the Hunchbuddy will dramatically increase their effectiveness.

I just wanted to thank you for using the term "Hunchbuddy"! I used to see it more but it's fallen out of use like the mech of it's namesake. This is an essential skill for any slower high firepower medium or light. I usually use the term Urbiebuddy because it firs the role too. Definitely pley this mech as a Centbuddy!

As for STD vs. LFE in a Centurian I'd always go with the LFE. I changed all mine over. Zombieing isn't a very good tactic any more. You just can't load enough firepower in a Head or CT to make much of a difference in today PUG games. You are better off having the extra speed, weapons, or heat management at the beginning of a game that you can get with a LFE.

Edited by Zookeeper Dan, 28 January 2018 - 02:05 PM.

#28 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 28 January 2018 - 02:23 PM

I'm the first person I know of to use the term, so I may have actually started it - not that it might not be the obvious play on words to other people. =)

#29 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 04 February 2018 - 10:24 AM

Inspired by this thread I rebuilt my Yen-Lo-Wang into the AC20 Snub-nose PPC 250 LFE build. What a fun mech! It snaps and twists like a dream and I'm normally awful at shielding! 300 - 400 multiple kill games going after heavies and making them back down! And this is unskilled! I can just imagine how it will play once I reach 91!

#30 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:22 AM

Generally, you are almost always better off with a LFE over a Standard Engine.

Sure you get hit with speed and heat penalties when you lose a side torso, but you'll probably still be faster than if you were running a standard engine, and if you've lost a side torso you've probably lost a chunk of your heat generating weapons too.

It's the same reason Clan mechs only rarely bother with Standard Engines; the disadvantages of the lighter weight XL are relatively minor compared to the advantages.

If were running a CN9-A, I'd probably try something like an AC10 with triple SRM4, or triple SRM6 with Artemis and twin Medium Pulse Lasers.

To be fair, the second build can easily drop to a standard engine too, losing only 2.2 kph of top speed, by changing the Medium Pulse Lasers to standard Medium Lasers.
That's a minor enough downgrade in speed and firepower that a Standard Engine might be a worthwhile trade.

The first build though? It'd lose 14.6 kph of top speed and 2 valuable engine heatsinks to swap to a Standard. In that case, the LFE is definitely worth it.

Edited by Zergling, 14 February 2018 - 02:38 AM.

#31 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:56 AM

View PostKoniving, on 20 January 2018 - 04:36 PM, said:

In this video, there's a zombie loaded up with SRMs and Artemis.
It's slaughtered by a stock Centurion CN9-D in a point blank fight, by the use of 2 medium lasers and an LB-10X.
And stock CN9-Ds have around half armor compared to a fully kitted out Centurion.

Well builds don't account for pilot skill, its more about the math and the potential the mech brings, you still need a good pilot to make it work. There is a meta for a reason, but if you cant land shots it doesn't matter what you pilot.

#32 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:12 AM

View PostRoughneck45, on 14 February 2018 - 10:56 AM, said:

Well builds don't account for pilot skill, its more about the math and the potential the mech brings, you still need a good pilot to make it work. There is a meta for a reason, but if you cant land shots it doesn't matter what you pilot.

How very true, it's why I recommend very specific mechs for pilot training, as they offer skill training that really isn't taught in other chassis as well... I found that going through those mechs, made me a more well rounded pilot, able to do things that I don't see most other able to do... With my personal favorite, shooting behind my mech, something I learned in Dragons and make full use of in Bushwackers.

#33 SuperMCDad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 131 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:36 PM

The first mech I used out of the academy was the Cent NCIX (30% C-bill boost FTW). Pretty sure I was running it with LFE255, AC10, 3 SRM4, and 2 ML. Originally I ran it with 3 LRM5's, to be able to contribute a bit early game, but soon converted it to the triple SRM. Certainly a good trainer mech, you can take plenty of damage once you get the torso twist going and skill up those armour points.

#34 Pocket_Aces

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:05 AM

My preferred build.

https://mwo.smurfy-n...ebdd0ea1fe76abc

#35 The Schwartz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 126 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:25 AM

Meh everyone has their opinions on Centurian many different styles. Here's the one I use quite often on the hotter intel maps. Is always very consistent for me and has everything you asked for in OP. Thing I absolutely love on this is how the missles all load up into one side so you can step on your enemies toes and kinda just rub those SRMS right into that spot you want.

I love my slower mechs. People will say speed is king, on some mechs sure. I find "fast enough" does best though. Mediums in my theory are all about "good enough", good enough weapons, heat management, speed. And in this case it's a "good enough" brawler too.

https://mwo.smurfy-n...5e2d5b841422dba

#36 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:53 PM

View PostThe Schwartz, on 20 March 2018 - 10:25 AM, said:

I love my slower mechs. People will say speed is king, on some mechs sure. I find "fast enough" does best though. Mediums in my theory are all about "good enough", good enough weapons, heat management, speed. And in this case it's a "good enough" brawler too.
https://mwo.smurfy-n...5e2d5b841422dba

If you took Endo and Light Ferro - both of which you have space for - you'd have tonnage to max your armor (instead of shaving it off torso locations) and crank your engine up to 270 .

#37 The Schwartz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 126 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:07 PM

Ya know... never even noticed i did that LOL. Thing's just worked so well as is i never bothered to change anything lolol.

#38 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:50 PM

Also... well, DHS in engine would improve your heat management (not that it's not good already, but it can be better)

#39 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:43 PM

View PostHorseman, on 20 March 2018 - 10:50 PM, said:

Also... well, DHS in engine would improve your heat management (not that it's not good already, but it can be better)

Er, what do you mean by that?

#40 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:09 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 21 March 2018 - 04:43 PM, said:

Er, what do you mean by that?
The build you posted uses Single Heat Sinks. Not only DHS improve your heat capacity and dissipation, but the ones built into the engine also have slightly better capacity and dissipation than the ones mounted externally or in the extra heat sink slots you get at 275 or higher engine rating.

Edited by Horseman, 21 March 2018 - 11:09 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users