94 replies to this topic

#1 Armored Yokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,949 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:17 PM

1v1's are Honorable forms of combat because, you can't use your team as a distraction and do damage and brag about epeen or you can't rely on someone to save you when you get outplayed by your opponent. 1v1s also teach you about proper positioning and trading because when you fight someone 1v1 you need to not expose certain areas in order to have a better advantage.

If you do lose 1v1's it's okay to lose because it's just a game and it gives you a chance to improve on things you can't do when you are with a team, i've talked to people and the most common thing they tell me is it's because people don't like to lose and it makes them feel better to blame someone else than blame themselves.

Ingame you will often see me asking for 1v1's in my Wolverine WVR-6R(P) and I don't care if i fight any weight class or lose because i find 1v1's so fun and it helps me work on things, sometimes when i do get the drop on the opponent there's like 2+ people coming to help and i'm still shredding through, I've managed to beat 2-3 mechs a few times and there have been times where i just get blown up, when I lose/win 1v1's i am humble and greatful that the other person was kind enough to give me a duel unless they start being lame.

There are times when i outplay and i get outplayed but i always come back up with different strats or playstyles.

Edited by Armored Yokai, 10 January 2018 - 05:35 PM.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:19 PM

It's basically going to boil down to who picks the most brawling weapons and most burst damage, unless you're both using super slow assaults that take a while to close the distance (then having some mid range guns would be helpful in a duel).

#3 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:22 PM

Because it doesn't actually have a point, other than stroking your epeen.

#4 Cy Mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:26 PM

You cannot blame your failures on the potatoes.

#5 UnofficialOperator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:35 PM

Watch the QQ and epeen complaints from the <1 WLR players rise when Solaris 1v1 comes in

#6 Bohxim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 523 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:39 PM

Some, like me, like to play with a small group of friends. We've designed our entire drop lance with roles and playstyles in mind. It helps lend to the tactical aspect to the game, making it vastly different to typical fps. Whilst most of us can hold our own in a 1v1, lance play is where it's really at for us. That's why the A2 guys and I like dropping in scouting, which favors lance work

#7 - World Eater -

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 940 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:53 PM

Mentioning honor for a game...Posted Image

#8 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:35 PM

People dislike 1v1s?

#9 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:01 PM

I don't have much interest in playing in solaris in mwo. I have street fighter and mortal combat for that type of play. I have done 1vs1s in qp and fw. In qp its rare that some one doesn't interfere with it and it can be fun. More often than not calls for 1vs1 in qp is just bait for the people to go to a location far away or lure them into a trap.

As a light pilot in qp I find myself in 1 vs 1s and 2 vs 1s all the time. Normally one of three things happen:

1. I win destroying the enemy which is the rarest of the three outcomes.
2. The duel is a stand off as both battling mechs try and disengage and regroup. The most common of the three most seen around fuel cell in incursion. Both mechs are usually damaged a lot but survive the duel.
3. I die for whatever reason. Overheating,xl loss,lrm volley, etc.

#10 Armored Yokai

• IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,949 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:16 PM

View PostDakota1000, on 10 January 2018 - 06:35 PM, said:

People dislike 1v1s?

I've asked people for 1v1's and they sometimes tell me "I don't do 1v1's, it's a teamgame"

#11 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:18 PM

It's mostly because of people who hang in the back of their team in FP and snipe while not sharing armor that asks for 1vs1s. Doesn't feel right to reward these cowards. Solaris.

#12 N0ni

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:28 PM

1v1s in 12v12s :thinking:

It's not that people dislike 1v1s, they'd rather play the game mode as it was an intended: a 12v12 team battle. Solaris on the other hand will have 1v1 and rewards for doing so, just need to wait a bit for those sweet epeen leaderboards. : ))))))

#13 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:52 PM

1v1 as a random occurrence in a match can be fun. With friends or friendly rivals can be as well. What I dislike is when someone decides that a 1v1 duel somehow proves something other than which combination of player and mech is better.

(BTW, Yokai, I know I was rather harsh on ya' the other day during that Caustic Valley/Incursion match. You kinda deserved a bit of grief for the way you played that match, but maybe I gave you more than was called for. You did just fine the nest match I saw you in, but I still say the build you were using would be better on the 7K Wolverine, just so you could put the TAG in the arm for better lock acquisition.)

#14 Armored Yokai

• IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,949 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:11 PM

View PostEscef, on 10 January 2018 - 07:52 PM, said:

BTW, Yokai, I know I was rather harsh on ya' the other day during that Caustic Valley/Incursion match. You kinda deserved a bit of grief for the way you played that match.

No hard feelings, was just tilted from last game and the Nascar cost us like the whole assault lance, I thought since we were on Incursion i'd thought i'd hit the base and probably scare some and force a few back but it didn't work. it's hard to aim the CERPPC at close range other than long range because on some occasions they go past the target (this doesn't happen when i use ACs or Missiles or regular PPCs or it's posssibly because i have low FPS) this was a few games before where CERPPC made it difficult to kill the last guy close up.
Posted Image

Edited by Armored Yokai, 10 January 2018 - 08:15 PM.

#15 TheMadTypist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 533 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:15 PM

1v1 in 12v12 matches hurts your team, because balance is such that the duel will leave you much more depleted than killing one player during a team v team engagement would. There's a real reason that zellbrigen was a handicap for the clans. The game modes naturally penalize the teams where this happens, as it becomes that much harder to snowball when you're expending more than the team really needs to for the same outcome. It's effectively choosing not to play the objective for the team, but for yourself, in an environment where 11 other people are counting on you.

1v1 in a dedicated match for such things is cool though, when everyone involved is looking for the same thing. That's what Solaris will be for. Well, that and really quick matches/faster queue times.

#16 James Argent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:38 PM

Because in MWO, 'duels' needlessly extend a match and if honored, up to 22 other people have to sit around with their thumbs up their bums while you and the other guy do your silly little K/D-saving attempts. It's a team mode...basically, we're just not that into you to agree to change the rules at our expense and for your benefit. If you truly want a 1v1 to test your mettle, you can do unranked private matches without bothering (or receiving interference from) the team-oriented players.

Whether it's farming renown, stats, or loot, artificial duels in team mode PvP games distort the game's intent and artificially inflate the players who do them beyond what they would otherwise have achieved. Solaris will be the intended mode for this kind of thing. Be patient and do it there.

#17 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:30 PM

1v1 me rite nao D=

Spoiler

nvm i went to bed. =3

Edited by Tarogato, 10 January 2018 - 10:35 PM.

#18 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:49 PM

Its really hard to lrm spam as one player, i mean you actually have to work at a game 1vs1...

#19 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:55 PM

View PostJames Argent, on 10 January 2018 - 08:38 PM, said:

Because in MWO, 'duels' needlessly extend a match and if honored, up to 22 other people have to sit around with their thumbs up their bums while you and the other guy do your silly little K/D-saving attempts. It's a team mode...basically, we're just not that into you to agree to change the rules at our expense and for your benefit. If you truly want a 1v1 to test your mettle, you can do unranked private matches without bothering (or receiving interference from) the team-oriented players.

Whether it's farming renown, stats, or loot, artificial duels in team mode PvP games distort the game's intent and artificially inflate the players who do them beyond what they would otherwise have achieved. Solaris will be the intended mode for this kind of thing. Be patient and do it there.

Which is why I've been known to interfere by killing the enemy participant and then ordering my errant teammate to go back and rejoin the rest of the team. <shrugs>

#20 Dago Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:33 PM

View PostMystere, on 10 January 2018 - 10:55 PM, said:

Which is why I've been known to interfere by killing the enemy participant and then ordering my errant teammate to go back and rejoin the rest of the team. &lt;shrugs&gt;

Basically people acting like this is are why you can't have duels/nice things.

It only takes one out of the 22 other people not being bought in to spoil it and unless you're in a twelve man vs twelve man scenario you're at the mercy of the disposition of random pugs.

Most would rather not risk it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users