• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:40 AM

I mean, maybe if 1v1s had any use (which they don't in most of the game modes), then maybe people would do them more.

With the announcement of Solaris, I'm sure people will be shifting over to this kind of gameplay since it suits them.

Also yes, that's what 1v1s are mostly about. Unless there's some restrictions going on, I don't see it going down any other way.

#22 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:09 AM

Dueling doesn't get me the C-Bills as much. I do offer 1v1 against enemies that are being crushed in FP, just so they can lose with some sort of honor.

#23 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:39 AM

View PostDago Red, on 10 January 2018 - 11:33 PM, said:

Basically people acting like this is are why you can't have duels/nice things.

It only takes one out of the 22 other people not being bought in to spoil it and unless you're in a twelve man vs twelve man scenario you're at the mercy of the disposition of random pugs.

Most would rather not risk it.

Bingo.

Like or dislike has nothing to do with it. Its that they are rarely allowed to actually occur so its nearly pointless to try in the midst or even end of a 12v12 game.

Out of the scores of matches I’ve played where there is someone asking for a 1v1 (usually last guy alive or the 4th wave of a CW match roll), I’ll bet there has been maybe a half dozen (at best) occurances where the 1v1 actually was able to take place without interference by some damage greedy or impatient a$$hats deciding they don’t want the participants to 1v1 for whatever reason. Even if it isn’t intentional, all it takes is one person with VOIP or allchat shut off who is unaware of the 1v1, to screw it up by simply shooting at what he/she thinks is a perfectly good target when it appears. So nope. I don’t even bother anymore.

I love 1v1s but private lobbies are where they are best conducted. The way the 12v12 modes of this game are set up is just not condusive to doing it except in the most exceptional of circumstances.

#24 BenAran

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 92 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:50 AM

Well, while I certainly dont deny someone a 1v1, there are two issues here:
1: its not everyones cup of tea. You will inevitably find that some people play this game for epic, large scale battles, rather than for the (admittedly intense) 1v1 battles.
2: As many pointed out, if you want to get good at the game in general, you have to work with your team.
No matter how good you are at 1v1, you cannot win a game by yourself.

#25 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:57 AM

1v1s are fine, just usually not when you are dropping with 23 other people playing team based matches.

The couple times are unit did 1v1 private matches it was a pretty good time, nothing that was going to have much replayability outside of a few times a year though.

Solaris will be interesting initially, but I reckon its charm will wear of faster than FP did for most people.

#26 Nameless King

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The King
  • The King
  • 692 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:02 AM

1v1 in QP is dumb, it is a very differant beast then 12v12 and most are just not geared for it now, when solaris comes I think a lot of people will be shocked at what builds get used and how.

#27 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:33 AM

View Postsycocys, on 11 January 2018 - 04:57 AM, said:

1v1s are fine, just usually not when you are dropping with 23 other people playing team based matches.

The couple times are unit did 1v1 private matches it was a pretty good time, nothing that was going to have much replayability outside of a few times a year though.

Solaris will be interesting initially, but I reckon its charm will wear of faster than FP did for most people.

1v1s get a little old vs the same person over and over, but if its a leaderboard ladder and for each win you move on up the ladder to fight even tougher opponents and everyone's getting better and better as time goes on and they refine their builds and skills then it gets pretty interesting.

#28 Rayden Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 759 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:50 AM

View PostMystere, on 10 January 2018 - 10:55 PM, said:

Which is why I've been known to interfere by killing the enemy participant and then ordering my errant teammate to go back and rejoin the rest of the team. <shrugs>

And after doing so, i would teamkill you. You are not my mother and not allowed to tell me what i have to do.
And such a behavior as a clansman, Jade Falcon espacially!

#29 Water Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:58 AM

My answer has nothing to do with the arguments presented in the OP, but...

I have always disliked 1v1s for as long as I've played competitive games of any kind. In Starcraft 2, I got pretty highly ranked in 1s but mostly played 2v2. I, personally, get way too worked up in 1s. In multiplayer settings I can relax a bit. It's just a personal flaw.

The only thing I play 1v1 is racquetball.

Edited by Water Bear, 11 January 2018 - 05:59 AM.

#30 KodiakGW

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:39 AM

To OP - Love doing 1v1s. Had much fun doing my 1v1 trial, and being the 2nd or 3rd combatant for other trials when I ran with JFP for a while

View PostRampage, on 10 January 2018 - 05:26 PM, said:

You cannot blame your failures on the potatoes.

Yep, all on me. Don’t have to worry about carrying two .5 K/D ratio potatoes against a 7/1 K/D ratio all because a broken PSRXPBAR matchmaker decided we are all T1. Shouldn’t see any of those except in the beginning matches setting the leaderboard for each division.

No 12-1, 1-12 stomps.
No 5+ sub 150 match score players on my team I need to carry.
No NASCAR.
No FP games where organized teams are stomping PUGs (which I refuse to be a part of the organized team doing that)
Get paid for 1v1 (hopefully that new currency they are introducing will let us buy neat items), instead of just non-earning private matches or waiting for someone to hold a tournament that I have the time to play when it is happening.

Going to increase my play time. Been under 100 games for every season since season 14. Completely skipping season 16. Mostly signed in to take advantage of giveaways. They do something I want to see implemented, I’ll play more and spend more. Unlike some people who got what they want, and haven’t logged 10 games since season 15, even with all the free MC and stuff for doing minimal effort.

Wonder what is up with that?

#31 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:18 AM

MWO has gotten so mixed up culturally... MWO is culturally incompotent.

On one hand I'm wrong if I'm not on a team and now I'll be wrong if I don't play 1x1??? Seriously PGI, talk about market rejection or a hugh rash of "Adaptive Friction" where people quit buying for a while: good Lord this is a classic OMG event if it fails.

As for the potato comments earlier, yes, I'm pretty sure a lot of <1 W/L will try Solaris and Immediately hate it.... 48x48 or 1x1 farming and seal clubbing are no different except for the time it takes to die (T3D) which, for the former is about 9 minutes and the later <3. Solaris will become the Scouting of the future.... If PGI forces players by tieing all events to Solaris and building insane metrics to succeed...........we're back to the : "Those who fail to study history...ect..." mantra.

For the Elite players, I'd give it about a month before we really start seeing a push-back... You see, when those super MWO Gods have to fight each other, mech to mech, without teams, well.............."the effective range of an excuse is ZERO meters..." Uh Huh, talk is cheap and there are going to be some big alligator tears from the top 20%, you betcha.... Can't wait because whose a "pototo" now? Oooooh, this is going to be a hoot when a really good twitch shooter steps forward and eats a majority of the comp and elite players lunch.......because it's just you and you alone?

#32 Fox the Apprentice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:35 AM

View PostRayden Wolf, on 11 January 2018 - 05:50 AM, said:

And after doing so, i would teamkill you. You are not my mother and not allowed to tell me what i have to do.

Interrupting a 1v1 isn't a violation of the ToS. He never agreed to a 1v1.
Teamkilling is a violation of the ToS. You're in the wrong here.

This assumes you were being serious. Sorry if you weren't :) .

#33 LowSubmarino

• Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:39 AM

Completly depends on the quality of the 1 vs 1 maps. Fantastic and exciting if you have maos that allow multiple strats. Medium range to sniper builds, while also allowing to sneak up on your enemy to engage in brawls.

If those maps are ome dimensional would always force me into melee range.... i wont play. Too dull. No fun. Ima sniper at heart. Or a skirmisher. I need to be able to disengage, use diverse terrain, hide, ambush or engage at brawl range. If they fail to accomodate that I wont Solaris. If.maps are fantastic Ill play a lot of that. Id love that.

Stands and falls with map quality. Bad quality kills solaris. Great maps would enhance mwo in such a way that i could imagine many, many new players joining mwo. If they fail to understand that they give away another chance to turn ppl into drooling addicts.

Usually i take tens of thousands of euros for my advice. This I give for free.

Im a nice person and like to share my infinite wisdom for free at least one day a year.

#34 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:09 AM

View PostDago Red, on 10 January 2018 - 11:33 PM, said:

Basically people acting like this is are why you can't have duels/nice things.

It only takes one out of the 22 other people not being bought in to spoil it and unless you're in a twelve man vs twelve man scenario you're at the mercy of the disposition of random pugs.

Most would rather not risk it.

Well excuse me!

I did not drop just to watch 2 people duke it out when as commander I need all my soldiers! <shrugs>

And by the way, doing 1v1 in the midst of a 12v12 is not a nice thing. That's what privale lobbies are for. <shrugs again>

Finally, given that 1v1 Solaris is apparently going to happen, there will be even less reason to tolerate 1v1 in 12v12 drops.

View PostEl Bandito, on 11 January 2018 - 04:09 AM, said:

Dueling doesn't get me the C-Bills as much.

It's not even about the c-bills.

View PostBud Crue, on 11 January 2018 - 04:39 AM, said:

... without interference by some damage greedy or impatient a$$hats deciding they don’t want the participants to 1v1 for whatever reason ...

LOL and LOL again!

Edited by Mystere, 11 January 2018 - 09:16 AM.

#35 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:20 AM

View PostRayden Wolf, on 11 January 2018 - 05:50 AM, said:

Me killing the enemy 1v1 participant is not a violation of the CoC. On the other hand, you team-killing me is -- assuming you even can.

#36 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:28 AM

For the same reason many players don't enjoy FFAs in Supreme Commander... they no longer can rely on teammates as a crutch. Sad but true.

FFA is best way to play RTS games, btw. =)

#37 GBxGhostRider

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:33 AM

OP this type of game play (Solaris 1V1)was tried in MechWarrior4 in 2 leagues and it died a quick death PGI would have been better off using its resources to fix Faction play and game bugs and exploits .

There were a few old leagues where 2V2 Solaris matches were popular VL=Vengeance League and MWA beyond that it had very little impact on the MechWarrior4 Planetary Leagues or Other more popular 8v8 leagues the community overall just did not like 1v1Solaris matches.

Solaris MWO style gameplay will be as bad a decision as Consumables and 3rd person is now.

#38 Cementi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 779 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:39 AM

1v1's might be entertaining if we could watch the paint dry on the mechs first.

#39 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:48 AM

On Zellbrigen and 1v1's in CW,

So, I like to roleplay, and in early days there was more of that going on in the game, especially in CW phase 1. My unit used to honour 1v1s in Community Warfare, especially after a good showing by the opfor. Of course, if you let the enemy pick their opponent, some'll end up targeting everyone to try an get a fight in their favour, which just drags the match, so we hadta stop that. And then, eventually, we get folk deliberately hiding behind their team to be the last mech standing to challenge us, and we had to stop, because that's not cool. Also, there's the fact that it delays the end of match to do so even when they do just drop and give a good accounting of themselves, when often enough we're having a hard enough time finding solid opposition, and the team'll often wanna just end the match to quickly requeue.

Now, that's just generally, there's also the fact that often enough 1v1's aren't honoured. If we're running with pugs because we don't have a full twelve, we cannot accept a 1v1 offer, because to do so and break the agreement would be an egregious breach of honour. Its better not't've taken the challenge. And then you've the times you accept and the Inner Sphere surats betray the covenant and ambush your valiant warrior just for a slight edge in battle, and it becomes less and less attractive.

Now, personally, myself, I'll always respect the Skye Rangers of Terra and Girl Powered for honouring 1v1's when challenged, and making a good showing of it, even if they aren't brought up any more. And outside of matches, my unit'll often get some 1v1's going on, just to keep up on our brawling when the CW matches haven't been engaging enough. But in game, anymore? They just often enough aren't worth bringing up, since they don't tend to be honoured.

Still, that said there's nothing quite like coming in the gates to a firing line and having one mech step out and duke it out with you whilst the rest watch on until some pug on your team comes in and turns it into a free for all.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 14 January 2018 - 10:27 AM.

#40 Nema Nabojiv

• 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:48 AM

View PostMystere, on 11 January 2018 - 09:09 AM, said:

And by the way, doing 1v1 in the midst of a 12v12 is not a nice thing. That's what privale lobbies are for. <shrugs again>

The Touman looks upon your lack of honour with disdain, warrior!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users