54 replies to this topic

#1 Inatu Elimor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 312 posts
  • Location1.45 meters below sealevel

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:53 AM

Mostly I'm in first person view. Recently I tweaked my locust PB for 153k speed; at my age (56), that' s rather fast (beware got highest matchscore at last match). Coordination hands/eyes becomes troublesome.
I found out going into third person view helps; it enhances the overall battleview.
What is your experience? When and why do you use third person view? What is actually the best perspective ?

Edited by Inatu Elimor, 12 January 2018 - 08:58 AM.

#2 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:54 AM

Never

#3 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:57 AM

PGI made a promise long ago that there would never be third-person in MWO because it potentially gave people an unfair advantage over players using first-person. Then they broke their promise but tried to justify it by making third-person view as combat ineffective as possible. I never use third-person unless I just want to look at my 'mech.

#4 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:19 AM

View PostMole, on 12 January 2018 - 08:57 AM, said:

PGI made a promise long ago that there would never be third-person in MWO because it potentially gave people an unfair advantage over players using first-person. Then they broke their promise but tried to justify it by making third-person view as combat ineffective as possible. I never use third-person unless I just want to look at my 'mech.

That so-called "unfair advantage" entirely depends on the design chosen. Choose an idoitic design and you get idiotic results.

This is not rocket science.

#5 Inatu Elimor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 312 posts
  • Location1.45 meters below sealevel

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:34 AM

Design:
The Locust PB seems to cope well in third person (my loadout: L 190 4xersl 2xlmg). When I sense the intentions of the group I switch to 3rd.

Edited by Inatu Elimor, 12 January 2018 - 09:34 AM.

#6 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:02 AM

View PostMystere, on 12 January 2018 - 09:19 AM, said:

That so-called "unfair advantage" entirely depends on the design chosen. Choose an idoitic design and you get idiotic results.

This is not rocket science.

I can still use 3rd person to my advantage. I can pop into 3rd person view to peek over hills or around corners without exposing myself on occassion, though not if I'm trying to be sneaky. If the enemy already knows I'm there I can use it to see what's waiting for me to peek. It's hilarious when I do it and people will start shooting at my 3PV UAV.

But then, I don't do this terribly often.

Edited by Mole, 12 January 2018 - 10:03 AM.

#7 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:08 AM

Sometimes I go 3rd person just so I can see exactly from which angle those mysterious shots are coming from. :P

#8 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:32 AM

I would use 3PV to check for damage impacts and situational awareness, but the transition between the two points of view is too slow. That, plus the wonkiness of trying to aim in 3PV due to how it draws line of sight down the crosshairs, essentially means I'm unable to fire until I can get back into FPV.

#9 SHIN BRODAMA

• PipPipPip
  • Warrior - Point 2
  • Warrior - Point 2
  • 67 posts
  • LocationJersey

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:40 AM

The only time I don't play in third is when my steering wheel and pedals stop working and I have to switch to a less than ideal joystick setup.

#10 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:44 AM

I'm so use to first person view from years of closed beta that 3pv is only good for looking at your mech's paint,colors, and other fancy decals when not in the mech lab. Loss of mini map,enemies spotted on map,position and movement(or lack of) team mates are vital info. Not having it sucks.

#11 N0ni

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:03 AM

3PV is unbound, that's how useful it is and how much i use it. If we were talking MW4 then 3PV would be stupid good for ridge humping/poptarting with PPCs/Gauss/cERLLs and the Railgun, but in MWO it's nothing more than to look at your mech's paint job and put a flashing neon sign saying, "here i am!".

When there's more negative things about using it than positives, what's the point?

#12 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:08 AM

I use it to check out my sexy butt.

And that's all.

I was strongly against 3PV. PGI's last minute betrayal of their cast iron commitment to players not to introduce it was the single biggest "WTF you must be kidding" moment in the troubled history of the development of this game.

However, I give PGI credit for the way they designed 3PV. By making it a drone that takes time to deploy, that denies access to sensors, and puts a big "hey I'm over here" red light over your head, they successfully negated the key concerns most of us had about 3PV.

Edited by Appogee, 12 January 2018 - 11:08 AM.

#13 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:44 PM

View PostMole, on 12 January 2018 - 10:02 AM, said:

I can still use 3rd person to my advantage. I can pop into 3rd person view to peek over hills or around corners without exposing myself on occassion, though not if I'm trying to be sneaky. If the enemy already knows I'm there I can use it to see what's waiting for me to peek. It's hilarious when I do it and people will start shooting at my 3PV UAV.

But then, I don't do this terribly often.

Where did I say you cannot?

Having said that, the old "If you can see them, they can also see you too." rule applies in the implementation we have -- given the right situational awareness, of course. As such, the enemy can also know you are watching.

View PostSho sa ShinYodama, on 12 January 2018 - 10:40 AM, said:

The only time I don't play in third is when my steering wheel and pedals stop working and I have to switch to a less than ideal joystick setup.

Please share with me how you can make your steering wheel set up more ideal than the joystick one. I am seriously interested.

#14 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:47 PM

View PostAppogee, on 12 January 2018 - 11:08 AM, said:

I use it to check out my sexy butt.

And that's all.

I was strongly against 3PV. PGI's last minute betrayal of their cast iron commitment to players not to introduce it was the single biggest "WTF you must be kidding" moment in the troubled history of the development of this game.

However, I give PGI credit for the way they designed 3PV. By making it a drone that takes time to deploy, that denies access to sensors, and puts a big "hey I'm over here" red light over your head, they successfully negated the key concerns most of us had about 3PV.

And yet PGI could have gone the extra mile and actually integrated it into the (still missing) Information Warfare pillar of this game. Instead we got a half-assed next-to-useless implementation.

Edited by Mystere, 12 January 2018 - 12:48 PM.

#15 Troa Barton

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 356 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUS

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:49 PM

Quickest way to trigger Tier 1 players.
1. Make an LRM Atlas.
2. Play in third person.
3. ???
4. Profit.

#16 blood4blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 527 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:51 PM

I mostly played MW4 in 3PV, unless the server or league was restricted to 1PV. MWO implementation of 3PV I only use to look at my mech on launch, and that's rare. I always play in 1PV, even in my Locusts. (PS Locusts are even more fun when you're at 160+.)

#17 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:55 PM

View PostMystere, on 12 January 2018 - 12:44 PM, said:

Where did I say you cannot?

Having said that, the old "If you can see them, they can also see you too." rule applies in the implementation we have -- given the right situational awareness, of course. As such, the enemy can also know you are watching.

What exactly is your point anyway? I have yet to figure that out. I was just trying to tell the dude that trying to fight in 3rd person is like trying to pilot with one hand and I gave the backstory as to why it is that way.

#18 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:03 PM

View PostMole, on 12 January 2018 - 12:55 PM, said:

What exactly is your point anyway? I have yet to figure that out. I was just trying to tell the dude that trying to fight in 3rd person is like trying to pilot with one hand and I gave the backstory as to why it is that way.

I have two:
  • The 3PV "peeking" we have now is not really the advantage some people think it is.
  • Although the basic idea was very creative (i.e. drone), the resulting implementation was mostly idiotic because it was designed to placate all the anti-3PV whiners, most especially the "But they promised!" crowd.

Edited by Mystere, 12 January 2018 - 01:06 PM.

#19 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:10 PM

View PostMystere, on 12 January 2018 - 01:03 PM, said:

I have two:Although the basic idea was very creative (i.e. drone), the resulting implementation was mostly idiotic because it was designed to placate all the anti-3PV whiners, most especially the "But they promised!" crowd.

I wasn't actually around for the whole thing, I showed up on the scene about 2014, but PGI still broke a promise. I've watched them make and then break many others since then. I think Russ has an awful habit of making promises that he maybe intended to keep when he made them, but was not in a position to make that promise due to various scenarios being possible and even likely that would force him to break his promise. I'd be willing to forgive this happening once, but it seems to be a chronic problem for Russ and co.

Edited by Mole, 12 January 2018 - 01:10 PM.

#20 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:16 PM

View PostMole, on 12 January 2018 - 01:10 PM, said:

I wasn't actually around for the whole thing, I showed up on the scene about 2014, but PGI still broke a promise. I've watched them make and then break many others since then. I think Russ has an awful habit of making promises that he maybe intended to keep when he made them, but was not in a position to make that promise due to various scenarios being possible and even likely that would force him to break his promise. I'd be willing to forgive this happening once, but it seems to be a chronic problem for Russ and co.

This is one of those very rare instances in which a broken promise by PGI could have been a very very good thing. Unfortunately, we got this abomination instead.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users