51 replies to this topic

#41 Mercworks

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:36 AM

View PostFeezou, on 13 January 2018 - 10:31 AM, said:

Really? I guess I'll go for the D-DC, but if I was thinking about running a standard engine. If I twisted off all of the damage, I would assume that would be more helpful, even though I doubt I'd last that long at the front of a push.

A Standard Engine doesn't help you with a DDC. If you lose both side torsos, then you don't have any weapons anyway. The extra tonnage will really perk up your weapons load (or just bring a better engine for a little more speed. The damn thing is a slug anyway).

#42 Feezou

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:05 AM

View PostDakota1000, on 17 January 2018 - 06:58 AM, said:

The D variant usually doesn't work well with just SRMs. It only has 2 missile hardpoints, so MRMs became the weapon of choice on them. The DDC works a bit better using 3 ASRM6 paired with an AC20. The old S variant used 4 ASRM6 and an AC20, but that required a standard engine to fit, so its pretty much entirely phased out now.

MRMs? I thought since MRMs aren't really fire and forget, they were unfavorable for twisting. I guess that was really the only option.

View PostMercworks, on 17 January 2018 - 07:36 AM, said:

A Standard Engine doesn't help you with a DDC. If you lose both side torsos, then you don't have any weapons anyway. The extra tonnage will really perk up your weapons load (or just bring a better engine for a little more speed. The damn thing is a slug anyway).

On the AS7-D, you have CT energy hard points. That's what I assumed would be helpful.

#43 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:51 AM

View PostFeezou, on 17 January 2018 - 08:05 AM, said:

MRMs? I thought since MRMs aren't really fire and forget, they were unfavorable for twisting. I guess that was really the only option.

The MRM stream duration is like half that of a medium pulse laser, its nearly fire and forget. Besides that, the Atlas's twisting days are far behind it, now its just sort of wiggling to spread damage between the torso hitboxes.

#44 Water Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:36 AM

View PostKoniving, on 15 January 2018 - 10:39 AM, said:

As for engine, 300 to 320 works best for me. Even in the Boar's Head where I could put up to a 400 engine, the highest I ever found to be useful was 330. Anything bigger and either your weapons are too weak, or everyone knows you've got an XL engine. I've never used an LE in one, but the heat issues of losing a side torso are too high to be worth while for me when thermal endurance is everything.

I find the absolute threshold of mobility to be about 54 kph. Any slower than that and you have serious issues (can't reach the fight in time, can't poke / peek quick enough to be worth the damage you take, can't reposition quickly without taking withering damage). 60 kph is quite good for fatties, in general.

View PostDakota1000, on 17 January 2018 - 08:51 AM, said:

The MRM stream duration is like half that of a medium pulse laser, its nearly fire and forget. Besides that, the Atlas's twisting days are far behind it, now its just sort of wiggling to spread damage between the torso hitboxes.

"tanking" is not really a thing any more. When the clans dropped and DPS doubled, things changed.

The fatlas can still work as a spearhead, dropping an arm first, spreading across the torso, and trying to drop the other arm, but you'll only get off one volley before you're more or less 50% alive. Autocannon assault boats simply do too much damage to tank it for any length of time. Your team must be coming in behind you or it's gg.

Edited by Water Bear, 17 January 2018 - 09:37 AM.

#45 Water Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:44 AM

View PostDakota1000, on 17 January 2018 - 06:58 AM, said:

The D variant usually doesn't work well with just SRMs. It only has 2 missile hardpoints, so MRMs became the weapon of choice on them. The DDC works a bit better using 3 ASRM6 paired with an AC20. The old S variant used 4 ASRM6 and an AC20, but that required a standard engine to fit, so its pretty much entirely phased out now.

IIRC the -D-DC has 3 missile hardpoints and the event reward Atlas had 4. 3 SRM 6 + UAC 20 = 79 point alpha. Hot and short ranged, but sufficient.

#46 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:21 PM

View PostWater Bear, on 17 January 2018 - 09:44 AM, said:

IIRC the -D-DC has 3 missile hardpoints and the event reward Atlas had 4. 3 SRM 6 + UAC 20 = 79 point alpha. Hot and short ranged, but sufficient.

Try trading those SRM/6's for 4's, you get tighter grouping and faster RoF.

Edit:

Look at the Smurfy link I posted a page or two back about the AS7-S that I run post tech update.

Edited by Metus regem, 17 January 2018 - 08:22 PM.

#47 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 20 January 2018 - 12:31 PM

View PostKoniving, on 13 January 2018 - 09:50 PM, said:

Shh, the rookies he's going against don't know that.

(Its also why I focus more on DPS than burst damage, as twisting ultimately becomes worthless when enemies learn that they can aim for your head or pelvis, and so the unrelenting delivery of damage can be used to keep them from shooting at you. Might notice in pretty much most of my videos as of late, twisting's been effectively dropped unless under really heavy fire. In its place, delivering as much precision DPS as possible.)

Some mechs are still worth twisting with, crabs, marauders, those shapes.

DPS/Alpha depends. DPS is nice in a staredown, but Anni with its HP can drop 70+ Alphas that can make many smaller pugs regret tanking that face.

#48 LEE H4RVEY

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 02:17 AM

Run whatever you have the most fun in. Otherwise you will get all salty and discouraged. :)

This is coming from a guy who thinks its a huge blast to run around at 165 kph in a black, flame painted Spider 5V and plink an Atlas upside the head with a single large pulse laser.

Edited by LEE H4RVEY, 21 January 2018 - 02:18 AM.

#49 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 06:58 AM

View PostLEE H4RVEY, on 21 January 2018 - 02:17 AM, said:

Run whatever you have the most fun in. Otherwise you will get all salty and discouraged. Posted Image

This is coming from a guy who thinks its a huge blast to run around at 165 kph in a black, flame painted Spider 5V and plink an Atlas upside the head with a single large pulse laser.

Posted Image
I like chasing spiders with my pirate's Spider.
Posted Image

#50 LEE H4RVEY

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 02:25 PM

View PostKoniving, on 21 January 2018 - 06:58 AM, said:

Posted Image
I like chasing spiders with my pirate's Spider.
Posted Image

Great pics. How do I upload pictures?

Also... Why do you call it the Pirates Spider?

Edited by LEE H4RVEY, 25 January 2018 - 02:26 PM.

#51 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:27 PM

View PostLEE H4RVEY, on 25 January 2018 - 02:25 PM, said:

Great pics. How do I upload pictures?

Also... Why do you call it the Pirates Spider?

Buccaneer paint.
You know what a Buccaneer is, right? It's a pirate.
I upload mine to enjin, but you can upload yours to any hosting site. Then you click the icon of a tree here and paste the link.

#52 LEE H4RVEY

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:06 AM

I didn't recognize the paint scheme or know its name. I thought you may be running a build similar to one ran on a Pirates Bane.

Thanks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users