- - - - -

As7-D Or As7-D-Dc

51 replies to this topic

#1 Feezou

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:58 AM

I've been wanting an Atlas, but I can't decide between the two. I rather have the armor quirks, but an ECM seems really valuable for approaching the enemy. Can someone shed some light on this topic? I intend to run an AC/20 and SRM build, with medium lasers for brawling. Would it be better to have more armor to bear the damage of LRMs, or try to avoid them completely? I had considered using an AMS. I really can't decide.

One more thing, would MRMs be a capable choice?

#2 Feezou

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:19 PM

Would a smaller ballistic weapon be a good option? I still really want an AC/20.

#3 Khazad Boom

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:36 PM

I see more D-DC Atlas mechs in matches than the D variant. With the current lrm/atm situation the ecm would be really helpful. Especially so when you have to expose yourself moving from cover to cover as it hinders their locks and chance for "easy" damage to your slow moving beast. Your ecm also helps cover your teammates and may motivate them to stay close and actually push with you when the time is right.

I personally love MRMs. I've seen them on Atlas builds but I don't have enough input on how to make an Atlas MRM build. With their weight it may force you to go down to a smaller ballistic weapon. Again, my knowledge base there is limited.

<0

Edited by Khazad Boom, 12 January 2018 - 02:36 PM.

#4 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:18 PM

I run an Atlas S, personally. This is the build I have arrived at through much trial and error with the 'mech:

AS7-S

I see no reason why you could not mimic this build onto a D if you took two MRM20s instead of 4 MRM10s. I have found MRMs to be more useful than the SRMs I had tried to use originally. At least on the Atlas. I was using a UAC/20 on it, but found that due to the sluggishness of the torso tracking that I was missing most of my shots, so went back to a regular AC/20 for the pinpoint frontloaded damage that it offers. Frankly, the missiles and the autocannon are all the thing really needs and it is often running too hot to reliably fire its lasers, but when I do fire them I find the extra 13 damage on top of the other 60 points of damage I just barfed into them to be a good supplement. Really in an Atlas, your lasers should be the lowest of your priorities. You will often find yourself running hot enough that you'd rather save the heat for another MRM salvo or AC/20 shot than you would firing your lasers.

EDIT: To answer your question about a smaller ballistic being an option, I would say no for an Atlas. There are plenty of other 'mechs that smaller caliber autocannons work fine for, but the Atlas does not have enough ballistic hardpoints or slots to make anything other than an AC/20 worth your time.

Edited by Mole, 12 January 2018 - 03:23 PM.

#5 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:22 PM

D-DC over the D pretty much always. Its has better hardpoints and has ECM to boot. If you run a light engine, which many are apt to do, the lack of CT energy slots won't make much of a difference anyways.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:57 PM

Nothing wrong with using smaller ballistics. Twin uac/5s, UAC/10 plus another AC, twin Lb-10X, triple AC/5, and various others are all very good options.

I've recently discovered on my Highlander Heavy Metal, that swapping the AC/2 for an RAC/2 has been a dramatic improvement in this build.

Here's two Atlas D's in use. Separate one per match.

And another; this was a joke build but I killed 6 out of 8 enemies with a little help from an ECM commando lingering around to film me.
This had an SRM, an LRM, an AC/5, an AC/2, medium lasers and only a single ton per weapon (it was 88 tons; I was too broke to give it a decent outfit and figured why not?)
(Aside from my voice, all the other voices are in another match in the same TS, only Lordred is with me in the Commando that we see from, and he didn't record his own voice sadly so you don't hear his responses to me, like the warning about the Cicada or the request to get the Spider off of him.)

Edited by Koniving, 12 January 2018 - 04:02 PM.

#7 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:19 PM

The Atlas-D is better.

Simply due to godmode armour quirks it gets. It's a monstrosity if you do the skillmaze correctly (firepower/survival/operations).

#8 undeadasharak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:29 PM

personally i have no expeience in the AS7-D but me and a firend have been having a lot of fun with the DDc with a heavy guass and a mrm 60 of some sort i run mrm 30 20 and ten on mine i think he runs two 30s pretty fun really with ecm of course

#9 Feezou

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:31 AM

View PostIllCaesar, on 12 January 2018 - 03:22 PM, said:

D-DC over the D pretty much always. Its has better hardpoints and has ECM to boot. If you run a light engine, which many are apt to do, the lack of CT energy slots won't make much of a difference anyways.

Really? I guess I'll go for the D-DC, but if I was thinking about running a standard engine. If I twisted off all of the damage, I would assume that would be more helpful, even though I doubt I'd last that long at the front of a push.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:43 AM

In the case of a D-DC you won't have any weapons left so I could see the Light Engine argument. You might still live but you'd have no offensive capabilities.

In a D, definitely run standard engine as you'd still have some nipple-lasers to pew with.

Personally...
I have never, ever, owned a D-DC.
The only Atlas I don't own.
I might get one this year because of stealth armor.

But yeah I thought that was worth mentioning, as I've been here since 2012..

#11 Feezou

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:41 AM

View PostKoniving, on 13 January 2018 - 10:43 AM, said:

In the case of a D-DC you won't have any weapons left so I could see the Light Engine argument. You might still live but you'd have no offensive capabilities.

In a D, definitely run standard engine as you'd still have some nipple-lasers to pew with.

Personally...
I have never, ever, owned a D-DC.
The only Atlas I don't own.
I might get one this year because of stealth armor.

But yeah I thought that was worth mentioning, as I've been here since 2012..
That makes sense. What do you think about armor quirks vs an ECM? I know armor quirks would help with brawling, but an ECM would help for approaching the enemy and would help for avoiding LRMs? I really can't decide.

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:08 PM

View PostFeezou, on 13 January 2018 - 11:41 AM, said:

That makes sense. What do you think about armor quirks vs an ECM? I know armor quirks would help with brawling, but an ECM would help for approaching the enemy and would help for avoiding LRMs? I really can't decide.

Personally.
The RS.

Got the same armor quirks, more arm based firepower.

But between the two, just throw your money at one and get the other later.

#13 Feezou

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:35 PM

I'm really torn, and it seems like the D-DC is the more popular choice, but I'm going to go with the D. It's armor quirks are really attractive. I think I'll get the D-DC after it.

Edited by Feezou, 13 January 2018 - 02:36 PM.

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:45 PM

Good man.

#15 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:00 PM

Atlas is a CT damage magnet, having CT hardpoints is not a plus on that chassi.

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:41 PM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 13 January 2018 - 03:00 PM, said:

Atlas is a CT damage magnet, having CT hardpoints is not a plus on that chassi.

You'd be surprised.
Posted Image
o.O;

#17 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:03 PM

Most certainly not, kon.
I've been running them for years, actually even bought an RS champ full prize (i do have a kink for the chassi).

Everyone and their grand'ma figured out that they only have to shoot the head part to ct core an atlas. Best about it is that, with horizontal cover, no atlas is able to shoot back.

From my experience, you'd rather have a breached red CT with the weapons in it critted out, then loosing both of your side torsos roughly 90% of all matches. Even with the anti crit quirk of the D variant.

From my pov, the ecm and 3rd missile hardoint of the D-DC outdo the ct energy mounts on the D by a longshot. The slightly better quirks of the D don't offset that either. and running around in a gimped 100 mech with 2 medium lasers isn't all that useful.

#18 Feezou

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:10 PM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 13 January 2018 - 05:03 PM, said:

Most certainly not, kon.
I've been running them for years, actually even bought an RS champ full prize (i do have a kink for the chassi).

Everyone and their grand'ma figured out that they only have to shoot the head part to ct core an atlas. Best about it is that, with horizontal cover, no atlas is able to shoot back.

From my experience, you'd rather have a breached red CT with the weapons in it critted out, then loosing both of your side torsos roughly 90% of all matches. Even with the anti crit quirk of the D variant.

From my pov, the ecm and 3rd missile hardoint of the D-DC outdo the ct energy mounts on the D by a longshot. The slightly better quirks of the D don't offset that either. and running around in a gimped 100 mech with 2 medium lasers isn't all that useful.

Wow, that really changed my mind, I guess the quirks aren't that influential when you're stripped down. It also can do extra missiles, which seems really useful.

#19 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:39 PM

View PostFeezou, on 12 January 2018 - 11:58 AM, said:

I've been wanting an Atlas, but I can't decide between the two. I rather have the armor quirks, but an ECM seems really valuable for approaching the enemy. Can someone shed some light on this topic? I intend to run an AC/20 and SRM build, with medium lasers for brawling. Would it be better to have more armor to bear the damage of LRMs, or try to avoid them completely? I had considered using an AMS. I really can't decide.

One more thing, would MRMs be a capable choice?

Atlas-S: Ultra20+4ASRM6. Play smart until its time to release the kraken. Brawlgasm.

ECM is a crutch.

If you want more mid range, use an Anni.

View PostKoniving, on 13 January 2018 - 03:41 PM, said:

You'd be surprised.
Posted Image
o.O;

Aim for the face, it(and other assaults) cant really twist damage anymore.

#20 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:50 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 13 January 2018 - 08:39 PM, said:

Aim for the face, it(and other assaults) cant really twist damage anymore.

Shh, the rookies he's going against don't know that.

(Its also why I focus more on DPS than burst damage, as twisting ultimately becomes worthless when enemies learn that they can aim for your head or pelvis, and so the unrelenting delivery of damage can be used to keep them from shooting at you. Might notice in pretty much most of my videos as of late, twisting's been effectively dropped unless under really heavy fire. In its place, delivering as much precision DPS as possible.)

Edited by Koniving, 13 January 2018 - 10:12 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users