10 replies to this topic

#1 hogslammer

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 30 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 29 October 2017 - 06:10 AM

I have issue with my pc where the game on most maps, will dip below monitor refresh rates, causeing input lag, freezing.

I overclocked from 4.6 to 4.7 on my i5-3570k and it helped alot with min fps. but still not to the point of always above my monitor refresh rate which is 60hz. its a basic 27 inch 1080p monitor with overdrive feature and currently oc'd to 75hz, and i game with vsync on with a nvidia gtx1060 6gb card.

i have 16gb ddr3 1600 ram, ssd drives.

anyway. i thought instead of blowing 1000 bucks on an intel i7 8700k, 16gb 4200 ddr4, and z370 mobo, that I would discover something called G-Sync technology.

So for 350 bucks i can get assistance by the chip in the gsync monitor to syncronize the monitor hz to my fps being outputted. this means that gsync monitors are good for people that dip below monitor refresh rate, but as well as above it and removes lag studders, tearing, everything.

So 350 is alot cheaper than 1000 and even if it dont do what i expect it to, which is to smooth out low fps areas on mwo maps, at least im ready for 144-180hz refresh when i get my new 1000 dollar coffee lake upgrade.

I also learned that 24 inches is better for 1080p than anything bigger cause you can see the pixel seperation. I see it now once it was pointed out to me. lol im afraid to see a curved 1440p monitor cause ill never want to go back. anyway its worth considering this option as a cheaper fix until you can afford better guts for the computer.

if you have amd then get the freesync monitors.

that is all.

#2 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 October 2017 - 03:28 PM

neither G-sync, freesync, or adaptive sync will actually stop the game from 'slowing' down, causing your input lag ... if the game gets beneath your current frame rate limit on your current monitor, its going to do the same, with a different one ....

#3 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 29 October 2017 - 04:01 PM

It sounds like something else is occurring, especially if he is seeing input lag and freezing.

I am running a 3570k @ 4.5ghz with AMD Sapphire Nitro Fury, with vsync off, user.cfg to set max FPS to 70. System power options set to High Performance. With a Nvidia, make a custom MWO profile to set Power Management mode to Max Performance.

Also make sure Xbox features are turned off.

#4 hogslammer

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 30 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 30 October 2017 - 04:06 AM

View PostNARC BAIT, on 29 October 2017 - 03:28 PM, said:

neither G-sync, freesync, or adaptive sync will actually stop the game from 'slowing' down, causing your input lag ... if the game gets beneath your current frame rate limit on your current monitor, its going to do the same, with a different one ....

I will be getting the gsync monitor anyway. I read too many posts in other forums about how it helps with low fps vs not using gsync.

View PostTarl Cabot, on 29 October 2017 - 04:01 PM, said:

It sounds like something else is occurring, especially if he is seeing input lag and freezing.

I am running a 3570k @ 4.5ghz with AMD Sapphire Nitro Fury, with vsync off, user.cfg to set max FPS to 70. System power options set to High Performance. With a Nvidia, make a custom MWO profile to set Power Management mode to Max Performance.

Also make sure Xbox features are turned off.

I have done all these things. the only thing i can do now is either upgrade to fastest cpu made ram and mobo, or just get the monitor and see if it helps. I believe it will help. I will be posting again here with at least my personal testimony on how much better it is. I believe it will not solve everything, but will take out a few major issues i have when i drop below my monitors refresh rate. I will not ever play with vsync off at the moment cause of the screen tearing.

#5 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 30 October 2017 - 04:44 AM

don't get me wrong, I didn't mean, not to upgrade to a new monitor, if that's what you need, but in MWO, it wont be a end all ... I think the g-sync package sets a 'frametime limiter' which could make an almost immeasurable difference .... 144hz g-sync sounds good to me ... but beware that any of the sync technologies may form an absolute limitation to the screens abilities ... so, go hard IMO ... don't skimp out ....

#6 hogslammer

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 30 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 05 November 2017 - 04:06 AM

I got the AOC [color=#252835]G2460PG monitor and will be here in a day or so :) im excited as hell. [/color]

[color=#252835] [/color][color=#252835]I also just saw that my z77 motherboard is only running ddr3 1600 ram. I saw some benchmarks and tests done in games benifit from running faster ram when it comes to raising the minimum fps. so if i suffer momentarily of 35fps dip for 10 seconds, if i was running 2133 ram (as per Asrock QVL memory list)well, the minimum would not be 35 but it would raise the dip to 45 or more. Especially because im overclocking my CPU to the max it wouuld benifit me to replace the 1600 ram modules for the fastest ram i can get ahold of, which my board supports [/color][color=#000000]GOC316GB2666C11DC but its nowhere in stock so i have to settle on slower ram.[/color]
[color=#000000]anyway i dont really want to spend 3 or 4 months saving to get a whole new 8th gen setup when i can upgrade my ram and monitor to suit MWO needs. [/color]

#7 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 November 2017 - 04:17 PM

honestly I'm not sure how much impact increasing the ram frequency will have, data will be 'ready' sooner, but generally were talking in the order of milliseconds faster, if your getting a stall that lasts multiple seconds, I'm not sure if that's going to improve ....

with a bad configuration, I will dip to 48 fps, which is incidentally the frame rate it gives me while its 'loading' the map ... I'm not overly sure if that's a proper correlation, or just happens to coincidentally be the same ...

quick look around does seem to agree about a lack of ddr3 2133 new and available ... I only see one kit at the place I tend to go to (australia), these guys tend to be pretty good at holding onto new old stock, if it was expensive at release .... assuming 8gb, one option @ 2133 and another @ 2400 for AUD $115/$115 ...

theres other things you could potentially do, that could 'improve' performance, mostly at the cost of time spent testing, tweaking, and evaluating ... sometimes messing with the default threading configuration alleviates some issues ... moreso for the AMD systems the devs never tested at all ...

#8 hogslammer

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 30 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:35 PM

dude omg, gsync relieves 98 percent of my issues.

low fps is low fps. but low fps with gsync rocks cause i dont feel the slowdown so much as to make it difficult to aim. looking around now is buttery smooth, and even in heavy brawls with missles its so much smoother now especially since ive never seen anything over 75hz refresh before and now seeing 144hz is a vast difference.. I still have my graphics tweaked to every thing on low except textures and environment and objects. all my games play better now for sure i know it. I can officially put off buying a new cpu, ram, mobo, and or even older ddr3 faster ram than i have.

#9 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:56 AM

Your -visual- lag is gone or greatly reduced, which probably helps a little for sure. Your -input- lag is not, which means that advantage is not as great as some people would expect. Still, hearing this specifically for MWO helps in case people were on the fence about gsync/freesync. It definitely looks like it makes the gaming experience much better.

#10 hogslammer

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 30 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 11 November 2017 - 05:41 AM

View PostxWiredx, on 08 November 2017 - 05:56 AM, said:

Your -visual- lag is gone or greatly reduced, which probably helps a little for sure. Your -input- lag is not, which means that advantage is not as great as some people would expect. Still, hearing this specifically for MWO helps in case people were on the fence about gsync/freesync. It definitely looks like it makes the gaming experience much better.

I disagree wired. everything is much much better and all i did was upgrade my monitor to a gsync and higher refresh from 60-144hz.

My framerate before i got the monitor was mostly above the 60hz rate, just everymap except HPG Manifold had serious slowdowns ranging in fps that dips around 35fps and bounces around alot between that and back up to 50s-144fps, mostly above 60 though. gsync is so smooth that i dont even look at fps anymore. its that good! i feel like i spend 2000 bucks on a new computer it is that good! also i had issues with my older game MWLL crysis based as well and now its fluid as all get out. all my games now have been upgraded. i wished i figured this out before i upgraded to a nvidia 1060 6gb card and 16gb ddr3 coming from a 750ti video card and 8gb ddr3 system ram. those 2 upgraded werent needed because of gsync.

"[color=#000000]However, the G-SYNC numbers do show a reduction, mainly in the minimum and averages across refresh rates. Why? It boils down to how G-SYNC and V-SYNC behavior differ whenever the framerate falls (even for a moment) below the maximum refresh rate. With double buffer V-SYNC, a fixed frame delivery window is missed and the framerate is locked to half the refresh rate by a repeated frame, maintaining extra latency, whereas G-SYNC adjusts the refresh rate to the framerate in the same instance, eliminating latency."[/color]
[color=#000000]link to source - [/color]https://www.blurbust...c101-input-lag/

#11 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:39 AM

Hello, hogslammer... I know what the underlying cause of your issues happens to be. Thanks to how heavy that MWO's version of the CryTek Engine is, due to it being a later version, your system is fighting a CPU-bound issue. It so happens that CryTek first renders within the Game Software first, then routes to the Video Card afterward. Unfortunately, part of that CPU-bound issue is the Screen Resolution being rendered, and CryTek doesn't always use all the Cores/Threads of your computer's CPU. Trying to push a computer that can't safely do 1920x1080 will result in automatic lag and issues that only a lower resolution can fix. Now, that said, you actually did a good thing upgrading the Video Card and RAM. The 64-bit MWO Client hates being limited to 8 GB of Total System RAM, which usually precipitates a need for the 32-Bit MWO Client. But on top of that, the Upgraded Video Card also means you have more VRAM to work with before the Main RAM gets an area grabbed from it. Anyway, the most likely permanent fix for your problem is to decrease your Screen Resolution for MWO to 1600x900 or smaller, albeit that the size I'm specifying is the minimum before some UI Elements make themselves harder to access. Also, set your Anti-Aliasing to "FXAA", because I've found that "PostAA" is much slower. I think you'll like the improvements in your FPS enough to actually allow MWO to go full power with the VSync switched off, and get even more Frame Rate there. :)

~D. V. "Using exactly what I suggest here myself..." Devnull

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users