New Tech Vindicators?

No replies to this topic

#1 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:52 PM

So back when they first were released I bought a bunch of Vindicators. Despite being very XL friendly and having varied hardpoints they were never great mechs and you could never really rise above "decent" with them. I've blown the dust off of them and have tried out some new tech with them and am happy to report the new results.

First off, the 1AA, the true support build.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5d09a74023cd7cb

It doesn't utilize the chassis' high engine rating but honestly the Blackjack-1X will exceed the 1AA in any sort of offensive role. Instead, this is focused around one the strengths of this variant, the dual AMS. The Vindicator is a low value target, allowing you to stick to heavies and assaults without being frequently targeted. The Snubnose PPCs are there to make them regret their mistake of overlooking you. Twenty damage may not be much compared to other medium mechs but the 1AA runs rather cool with them and they have no burn time, allowing you to discreetly fire them off and retreat without exposing them to enemy fire. The PPCs quirks do a lot of work for the dual snubnoses. While for some matches the AMS will go relatively unutilized for others it provides a critical advantage. Smart LRMers know that they can use LRMs to deny an enemy from poking with long range high damage weapons like gauss rifles. The dual AMS can eradicate a huge volley of enemy missiles easily, denying the other team from doing this. Further, if they can poke you can get a quick opportunity to poke with your PPCs. Even if the enemy is out of optimal range you can still disable enemy ECM, common among scouts trying to spot in a standoff. The dual AMS also has a nice side effect of allowing you to hunt enemy LRMboats. They will almost always have few backup weapons and your JJs alongside a pinpoint 20 damage allows you to pick most of them off with ease.

While this build doesn't do a whole lot of damage upfront overall like most other medium mechs can it can offer a great amount of damage over the length of the match if you stick to the heavy or assault lance as a support, taking opportunistic potshots, and keeping them healthy from enemy LRMs.

The next build is easily the most fun, the 1X Death From Above.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5a4dbfdd4da0b3b

A flying RAC5 can cause a lot of panic and chaos. When somebody gets hit by a RAC5 from every direction in the span of eight seconds they're usually going to be completely baffled. Those four Jumpjets allow you to quickly and easily clear the head of enemy mech to allow you to do so without letting them see you. As a matter of fact a few times I've seen the enemy start looking towards their feet after I've strafed them a few times, clearly looking for a light mech like a Locust mounting a high output autocannon. Those streaks help pile on the extra damage as you fly over the enemy's head, not to mention provide additional misdirection. The foe will usually catch on to your ruse by the time you've stripped their armour down so the MGs can help crit a vulnerable compontent or two right before you make your escape. It works extremely well against isolated mechs, the bigger than you they are the better, and going after them in an area with cover around them just adds more confusion. Finally, the build is also viable to protect heavies and assaults from would-be backstabbing light mechs if the battle turns into a deathball sniping match. SSRM4s and a RAC5 will deter any light mech from sticking around.

Finally we get to the 1R, a more traditional skirmisher.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...99ee21d7a018abe

Taking advantage of its energy focused quirks the 1R can utilize 5 MPLs very well. The main thing holding back this build's potential in the past was a lack of medium range power. The most you could previously fit was a LRM and using a weapon that gives away your position to an enemy doesn't go well with a mech whose goal is to be constantly moving and flanking wherever possible. The MRMs are a nice compromise. The MRM20 finally gives the 1R the range necessary to punch its way out of a corner, where previously it was very ineffective with the high heat, short range MPLs. Like with the 1AA the Vindicator's low priority significantly benefits this build. Between that and the shortened cooldown the 1R can get in multiple 30 damage strikes on an enemy before they bother to pay you any mind. In many ways the 5x MPL Cicada build trumps the 1R, especially due to its speed, but the 1R makes up for that with jump jets. I only roll with two because I rarely need more but dropping some armour alongside a half a ton of ammo can allow you to utilize shortcuts and escape routes that the 5x MPL Cicada never could.

Anybody else out there try to breathe new life into these things? I'm actually considering further experimentation utilizing Heavy PPCs.

Edited by IllCaesar, 13 January 2018 - 10:56 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users