Remove Kdr From Statistics.

72 replies to this topic

Poll: Remove KDR and replace it with KAR. (130 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you support this suggestion?

1. Yes (76 votes [58.46%])

Percentage of vote: 58.46%

2. No (44 votes [33.85%])

Percentage of vote: 33.85%

3. Abstain (10 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:53 PM

Sure, everyone loves to boast how they managed to screw the rest of the team over because they don't want to hold base for a few more seconds because of their precious KDR.

KDR in any MMO is ridiculous, especially in a team based game.

My suggestion is to remove KDR in favor of KAR (Kill/Assist Ratio).

Why? Because then people won't have to worry about being on a team with a tart that favors padding his KDR by hiding in a hole, fleeing from battle, or just doing something [REDACTED] (such as shooting like crazy at anything and everything in front of them just to get that last shot in for a kill, even team killing).

Thoughts, prayers, naysayers, padders, whiners, ragers, feelings, anger, frustration, flame me (within reason and within code of conduct welcome).

#2 Macbrea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 270 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

Just add assists to the list, It will make lights very much more noticeable on the stats.

#3 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:15 PM

I'm torn between using the orgasm scene from When Harry met Sally, or Sally Killerman reading James Joyce in Back to School.

Just going to say Yes.

#4 Parliment

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 160 posts
  • LocationBehind you ...go ahead and look I dare you.

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:24 PM

KDR is a fedrat plot dont buy into it !

#5 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:25 PM

I don't think it should be eliminated, as even I hope to one day have one that is at least in sight distance of 1.0. Taking away info is bad, even if some [Redacted] abuse it.

That said, I like the idea of adding Assists to the mix.

*edit*
Hmm I thought that word would be caught the filter. Oh well...

Edited by Nick Makiaveli, 17 November 2013 - 01:26 PM.

#6 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:05 PM

I like the idea of having KAR instead of KDR.

#7 Drunk Canuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 572 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh?

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:55 PM

I'd rather not have any statistics that still put me with terrible pugs.

#8 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• 2,839 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:40 PM

View PostDrunk Canuck, on 17 November 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

I'd rather not have any statistics that still put me with terrible pugs.

That's ELO, completely different scoring system. (Win/Loss only)

#9 zazz0000

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:51 PM

You HAVE to have both kdr and adr, along with damage/match.

Those three stats give you a clear view of how productive you are.
Players will chase kills even if you don't display the statistic. People might chase them LESS if the assist statistic was also recorded (I've suggested that in a previous post of mine).

I can admit that I feel a BIT sour if I get 0k 10a 750dmg in a match, but that bit only comes from not being able to see assists.

In the end of such situation the team usually wins, so that's good. Give me my a/d to be icing on the cake.

PS You can take my 1.01 KDR from my cold dead hands ;)

#10 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• 2,839 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:30 PM

View Postzazz0000, on 17 November 2013 - 09:51 PM, said:

You HAVE to have both kdr and adr, along with damage/match.

Those three stats give you a clear view of how productive you are.
Players will chase kills even if you don't display the statistic. People might chase them LESS if the assist statistic was also recorded (I've suggested that in a previous post of mine).

I can admit that I feel a BIT sour if I get 0k 10a 750dmg in a match, but that bit only comes from not being able to see assists.

In the end of such situation the team usually wins, so that's good. Give me my a/d to be icing on the cake.

PS You can take my 1.01 KDR from my cold dead hands ;)

In order to really show how someone is productive, then they should add Friendly Damage Done and Accuracy.

#11 zazz0000

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:36 PM

Accuracy is a displayed stat, under weapon stats.

Friendly damage, and friendly kills, would be an interesting one to see. From personal experience, I can't estimate my "friendly damage", but out of my 2500+ drops I've recorded 4 friendly kills. I count them.

By my estimate, most friendly damage comes from heat of battle, not from kill searching. But that's based only on my own experience.

#12 Swiftsteel

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:11 AM

Don't even suggest that! I cut you!

#13 zazz0000

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:36 AM

What about the score? That's like the great equalizer. PGI already has an equation for kills, assists and damage. Plus the other minor battle bonuses. Lets see that per game or per death.

#14 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:51 AM

It's river city. So many people can't play that map for ****. I have walked away from that base so many times and just let the enemy cap it and save myself dieing enough times.

This is typical of how it goes down when they cross the bridge>
I walk away from the base by the dropship on river city only after I have been typing about the hilarity of moving to upper when you can SEE the enemy base rushing and nothing is over there even as they are only crossing the bridge, of all places. I probably get a couple communications off as they get into "position" in upper city. (no idea what for)

Once the enemy is close enough to the base and I type my final "abandoning base" or "base overrun" into chat as I move away to let the enemy cap, I won't be helping them re claim it. Ignore me for a couple mins, only fair to return the favor.

#15 Ziogualty

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sergeant
  • Sergeant
  • 382 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:35 AM

Completely agree.
KD Ratio is something that every player feels important to prove their skill.

But in MWO you can score a kill dealing just the last 1% of damage. Or getting nothing after you dealt the 99% of damage on the target.

Most important of all, the brave who sacrifice himself as a tank while mates finish the job has no reward at all despite his role was crucial.

To make it short: with current rules, you can ruin an entire game and the efforts of all your team if your aim is just to score kills and improve your K/D ratio.

#16 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:30 AM

View PostAttank, on 18 November 2013 - 01:35 AM, said:

Completely agree.

But in MWO you can score a kill dealing just the last 1% of damage. Or getting nothing after you dealt the 99% of damage on the target.

Most important of all, the brave who sacrifice himself as a tank while mates finish the job has no reward at all despite his role was crucial.

To make it short: with current rules, you can ruin an entire game and the efforts of all your team if your aim is just to score kills and improve your K/D ratio.

Once you get a KDR of about 7 or 8 every death you take knocks you back so far in your KDR that winning and not dieing take extreme precedence over getting the actual kills. Getting the kills definitely helps improve your stats, but if you lose the game you will most certainly die, and if you die at high KDR you need many more kills just to make up for 1 death.

Winning is still more important in the long run.

#17 Pwnocchio

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:19 PM

My KDR is horrendous but I can't imagine a more important statistic in the game other than 'win rate'.

Removing pieces from the field >> assist.

Almost universally the people with the most kills are helping your team the most. Not always true, but almost always true.

If you learn to watch the enemy rag-doll and train yourself to hit locations that have been stripped of armor, or areas of keen importance (legs on lights, haunch on the hunchback, etc..) or you just learn to focus on one target area and hit it until it's gone your damage per match will drop and your KD ration will rise, as will your win rate.

In some roles it's fine to spread your damage like butter over bread (missile boats, MG boats, LBX...) but everyone else should be trying to focus fire and kill as quickly as possible, not simply maximizing your damage.

Edited by Pwnocchio, 18 November 2013 - 04:20 PM.

#18 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:40 AM

Posted Image

i thought, taking away a statistic with what little motivation to game on before CW is bad, but then replacing that with assists. that's far more telling of your involvement in fights alongside W/L and dmg. as people stated you can get kills with minimum damage and still be a goof who lets the team cap you. not bothered if KDR is staying or not. but assists, i'd love to see that, then i could change the number on my sig and update it monthly :(

View PostGhogiel, on 18 November 2013 - 12:51 AM, said:

It's river city. So many people can't play that map for ****. I have walked away from that base so many times and just let the enemy cap it and save myself dieing enough times.

This is typical of how it goes down when they cross the bridge>
I walk away from the base by the dropship on river city only after I have been typing about the hilarity of moving to upper when you can SEE the enemy base rushing and nothing is over there even as they are only crossing the bridge, of all places. I probably get a couple communications off as they get into "position" in upper city. (no idea what for)

Once the enemy is close enough to the base and I type my final "abandoning base" or "base overrun" into chat as I move away to let the enemy cap, I won't be helping them re claim it. Ignore me for a couple mins, only fair to return the favor.

i got lucky once forever typing RTB and luckily once they flooded back to base and slaughted them as they got stuck at ramp choke points. :ph34r:

Edited by GalaxyBluestar, 19 November 2013 - 12:45 AM.

#19 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:44 AM

View PostAttank, on 18 November 2013 - 01:35 AM, said:

Completely agree.

Agreed, I am a willing sacrifice in many games. I will wade in and deal a lion's share of damage to the entire front. My mates can clean up after I fall. I will focus on one mech until I strip his weapons, neutered mechs are left to run while I move on to the next. My KDR isn't that great at .81 but I couldn't care less.

View PostGhogiel, on 18 November 2013 - 07:30 AM, said:

Once you get a KDR of about 7 or 8 every death you take knocks you back so far in your KDR that winning and not dieing take extreme precedence over getting the actual kills. Getting the kills definitely helps improve your stats, but if you lose the game you will most certainly die, and if you die at high KDR you need many more kills just to make up for 1 death.

Winning is still more important in the long run.

So you get to a 7-8 KDR and you die. You then would need, 7-8 kills to bring it right back up. And the more drops you've done the higher and higher those numbers in the ratio are going to be and the less effect 1 death would have.

View PostPwnocchio, on 18 November 2013 - 04:19 PM, said:

My KDR is horrendous but I can't imagine a more important statistic in the game other than 'win rate'.

Removing pieces from the field >> assist.

Almost universally the people with the most kills are helping your team the most. Not always true, but almost always true.

If you learn to watch the enemy rag-doll and train yourself to hit locations that have been stripped of armor, or areas of keen importance (legs on lights, haunch on the hunchback, etc..) or you just learn to focus on one target area and hit it until it's gone your damage per match will drop and your KD ration will rise, as will your win rate.

In some roles it's fine to spread your damage like butter over bread (missile boats, MG boats, LBX...) but everyone else should be trying to focus fire and kill as quickly as possible, not simply maximizing your damage.

In the end there is only one statistic that anyone should be paying attention to.

FPR

What's that?

Fun to Play. If you are having fun most of the time, then you are all good.

Kills/Deaths, Wins/Losses, etc/etc. Who gives a {Scrap}. have fun, its a game.

#20 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:30 PM

View PostRussianWolf, on 19 November 2013 - 09:44 AM, said:

So you get to a 7-8 KDR and you die. You then would need, 7-8 kills to bring it right back up. And the more drops you've done the higher and higher those numbers in the ratio are going to be and the less effect 1 death would have.

Losses probably have about an 80% chance of resulting in a death. The point is wins are still the most important thing and crucial for high KDRs, every good player with high KDR is getting wins, this is what makes the whole topic dishonest in premise. The OP thinks that players with high KDRs are screwing over their team, when in reality, players with high KDRs are winning matches as that is a requirement to holding a high KDR.

Secondly the amount of K/Ds has less effect on ratio the higher the base numbers are> it's still however proportional even at high numbers. So to maintain high KDR, players still have to be winning a lot.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users