35 replies to this topic

#1 Phaneron

• PipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 40 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:35 PM

Title says it all. Since a few weeks I experience nothing but low fps in MWO, causing me to quit for some weeks too. No matter what graphic settings I have on, I always have around the 30 fps as soon as the mechs start walking.

I tried reinstalling the game on steam but it improved not a thing sadly. Before I easily got around 70 fps on ultra and triple monitor. Still not that high but miles better then 30. What can I do to resolve this?

#2 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:39 PM

Have you tried turning off:

game mode
game dvr
game bar

shadowplay
all overlays (steam, afterburner, etc)

?

#3 Bill Lumbar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:51 PM

This is really odd to me.... I am running a Ryzen 1700 @ 4ghz, a MSI Seahawk EK blocked 1070 8GB card, and a new Aron Ultra wide monitor, 35". No issues here, I don't think I ever see below 60 fps.... maybe, but I don't thinks so.

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 15 January 2018 - 04:52 PM.

#4 Michal R

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 428 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:06 AM

Are you using high performance on CPU?
If not, try it. Could help.

Another problem can be Windows. After new driver something go wrong. Try to reinstall Windows.

And third problem can be bad voltage on CPU....

#5 Phaneron

• PipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:35 AM

View PostMichal R, on 16 January 2018 - 12:06 AM, said:

Are you using high performance on CPU?
If not, try it. Could help.

Another problem can be Windows. After new driver something go wrong. Try to reinstall Windows.

And third problem can be bad voltage on CPU....

I can't be the CPU I think, because in every other game I played (for example Witcher 3, Overwatch, Far Cry Primal, Titanfall 2, Project Cars 2) I get at least 100 fps on Ultra with ease. Most of the time more. But I'll try turning on high performance on my CPU because I know that MWO likes to use the CPU a lot.

#6 Phaneron

• PipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:27 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 15 January 2018 - 02:39 PM, said:

Have you tried turning off:

game mode
game dvr
game bar

shadowplay
all overlays (steam, afterburner, etc)

?

Tried turning off shadowplay, msi afterburner shut off, game dvr turned off via regedit. uninstalled the game bar via game bar since I'm not going to use it anyway. I also tried turning on and off Vsync and found Vsync on the give better results. My FPS is almost consistently 60 in the beginning now and as soon mechs starts shooting it drops to about 40-45, still better then barely getting 30. So thanks for the help!

#7 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:37 AM

server based calculations (against clientbased Calculations in other MP games like BF) for each single shot ...and effects ..seeing the framedropdown by begin and the flying of the Dropships

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 16 January 2018 - 03:37 AM.

#8 Lizardman from Hollywood

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 135 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:34 AM

Said it before and will keep saying it, this horribly unoptimized game does not like ryzen cpus. I get about 80 fps max with a 70 avg and dips to the 40s on my 1700 OC to 3950 and a GTX 1080. That's at all gfx settings and at 1080p and 1440p running 3 monitors. It's like they have a cap on performance. On the other hand, my new 8600k running at a mild 4.8 OC with the same GTX 1080 runs 200+ max fps with a 140ish avg and I've never seen it dip below 80. If MWO is your main game, do yourself a favor and run an Intel cpu. Btw the game doesn't really care about your gpu, my old 480 4g runs at pretty much the same avg fps as my GTX 1080.

#9 Phaneron

• PipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:15 AM

View PostSephrus Shanadar, on 16 January 2018 - 05:34 AM, said:

Said it before and will keep saying it, this horribly unoptimized game does not like ryzen cpus. I get about 80 fps max with a 70 avg and dips to the 40s on my 1700 OC to 3950 and a GTX 1080. That's at all gfx settings and at 1080p and 1440p running 3 monitors. It's like they have a cap on performance. On the other hand, my new 8600k running at a mild 4.8 OC with the same GTX 1080 runs 200+ max fps with a 140ish avg and I've never seen it dip below 80. If MWO is your main game, do yourself a favor and run an Intel cpu. Btw the game doesn't really care about your gpu, my old 480 4g runs at pretty much the same avg fps as my GTX 1080.

That's a shame to hear. But still it was far better a few months ago. I too ran MWO on 3 monitors so 5760x1080, ultra, with about 70 fps or more. Had the exact same PC back then. But you're right in the end MWO is very badly optimised. And MWO was indeed my main game, been playing it since 2013. But because of the performance issues sadly not anymore.

#10 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:28 PM

View PostSephrus Shanadar, on 16 January 2018 - 05:34 AM, said:

Sorry man, your advice on just get a Intel CPU is complete BS and given the bug that they just had with all their CPU's from the last 10 years, is a joke. I am not having any issues with my rig, and I am pushing a very nice 35" ultra wide monitor at all high settings. It has to be something else!

I just upgraded from my old I7 4790K at 4.8ghz 24/7, and it was a upgrade btw.

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 16 January 2018 - 01:30 PM.

#11 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:42 PM

I have not seen it said anywhere but have you uninstalled the Nvidia driver completely and installed the driver that came on the disc and tested? So far I have seen that you had reinstalled MWO but not actual drivers of any sort.

#12 Lizardman from Hollywood

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 135 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:56 PM

View PostBill Lumbar, on 16 January 2018 - 01:28 PM, said:

Sorry man, your advice on just get a Intel CPU is complete BS and given the bug that they just had with all their CPU's from the last 10 years, is a joke. I am not having any issues with my rig, and I am pushing a very nice 35" ultra wide monitor at all high settings. It has to be something else!

I just upgraded from my old I7 4790K at 4.8ghz 24/7, and it was a upgrade btw.

And here comes bill who as usual somehow gets butthurt about the intel/ryzen debate. I never said don't get ryzen. I never said ryzen doesn't play the game. It's just a fact that Intel plays MWO at higher frame rates, higher averages and higher mins. And I mean like double the speed. Play the game on ryzen, it runs pretty good. I have a 1700 running a Vega 56 pushing a freesync ultrawide at 75 Hz and it is incredible. But the plain fact is that my 8600k runs it faster. As for your specific problem check for driver updates for your gpu, mobo and windows. But I have also noticed a loss in performance in MWO due to new paint decals and hero textures. I hope you find your problem and continue to enjoy your MWO experience and hope you are looking forward to MW5 and an engine that can run DX12 and utilize all of those delicious AMD cores. I know I am.

#13 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 05:08 PM

View PostSephrus Shanadar, on 16 January 2018 - 06:56 PM, said:

And here comes bill who as usual somehow gets butthurt about the intel/ryzen debate. I never said don't get ryzen. I never said ryzen doesn't play the game. It's just a fact that Intel plays MWO at higher frame rates, higher averages and higher mins. And I mean like double the speed. Play the game on ryzen, it runs pretty good. I have a 1700 running a Vega 56 pushing a freesync ultrawide at 75 Hz and it is incredible. But the plain fact is that my 8600k runs it faster. As for your specific problem check for driver updates for your gpu, mobo and windows. But I have also noticed a loss in performance in MWO due to new paint decals and hero textures. I hope you find your problem and continue to enjoy your MWO experience and hope you are looking forward to MW5 and an engine that can run DX12 and utilize all of those delicious AMD cores. I know I am.

Lol.... I am not butt hurt about anything when it comes to Intel/Ryzen, I have built both systems, and know enough to know that your comment/advice on just get an Intel CPU is BS. It's really that simple. ;-) I build what works, If it doesn't work, I sell it, build something else that does. Something else is up with his build, in the past I would agree with you.... Intel pushed better FPS, but at this time, it really doesn't matter anymore man. Ryzen is able to even play this game at better than decent FPS... other wise I would be dropping another $3000 grand and building another build. lol

#14 SCHLIMMER BESTIMMER XXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 879 posts
  • LocationNiemalsland

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:15 PM

View PostMichal R, on 16 January 2018 - 12:06 AM, said:

Try to reinstall Windows.

xD

View PostBill Lumbar, on 17 January 2018 - 05:08 PM, said:

other wise I would be dropping another $3000 grand and building another build. lol

Larry incoming

#15 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:41 AM

I come back at random and see this.

Haven't played MWO in a long time now, it got too repetitive (and this is coming from somebody who listens to A LOT of electronic music). I did build a Coffee Lake system, though, so if I run the numbers I'll let you guys know what it looks like.

At any rate, the numbers we've seen from Ryzen were good, weren't they? I don't remember seeing the 0fps dips that Bill used to have. Though, he did claim the difference between his FX chip and Haswell chip was almost unnoticeable... From what I recall, Ryzen definitely did better than Haswell did with this game. Though, there is the clock speed difference and RAM speed difference that can theoretically still cause Ryzen to look worse than something like Skylake/Kaby Lake/Coffee Lake. I guess sometimes fanboys will be fanboys, but I think Bill is spot-on about Ryzen not being the problem.

What I think is the problem is probably down to the individual user with the issue. Things we don't know:

Has the OP overclocked his CPU? If so, is it actually stable or is it just 5 minutes of 3DMark stable?
What RAM speed the OP is using? Same stability question as above.
Has the OP updated his BIOS and OS?
Are the OP's temperatures okay?
Are the power settings and driver settings both set to high performance?
Is OP using something like process lasso?
How is OP actually measuring his fps?

#16 BigScwerl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 222 posts
  • LocationPac N Dub

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:48 AM

Are you sure that you have enough power to fully run the GPU? Someone mentioned the CPU. A power Supply that cannot deliver the required power to the GPU could cause the GPU to stutter.

Additionally, Check the temperatures. your GPU may be overheating immediately.

#17 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:03 PM

View PostxWiredx, on 18 January 2018 - 08:41 AM, said:

I come back at random and see this.

Haven't played MWO in a long time now, it got too repetitive (and this is coming from somebody who listens to A LOT of electronic music). I did build a Coffee Lake system, though, so if I run the numbers I'll let you guys know what it looks like.

At any rate, the numbers we've seen from Ryzen were good, weren't they? I don't remember seeing the 0fps dips that Bill used to have. Though, he did claim the difference between his FX chip and Haswell chip was almost unnoticeable... From what I recall, Ryzen definitely did better than Haswell did with this game. Though, there is the clock speed difference and RAM speed difference that can theoretically still cause Ryzen to look worse than something like Skylake/Kaby Lake/Coffee Lake. I guess sometimes fanboys will be fanboys, but I think Bill is spot-on about Ryzen not being the problem.

What I think is the problem is probably down to the individual user with the issue. Things we don't know:

Has the OP overclocked his CPU? If so, is it actually stable or is it just 5 minutes of 3DMark stable?
What RAM speed the OP is using? Same stability question as above.
Has the OP updated his BIOS and OS?
Are the OP's temperatures okay?
Are the power settings and driver settings both set to high performance?
Is OP using something like process lasso?
How is OP actually measuring his fps?

Wired.... we have discussed this topic till the cows came home. I am not a fan boy at all, I will build either system that performs the way I want it to. To me, it doesn't have to throw out the highest frame rates, it just has to play smoothly, and of course this game isn't the only thing I base what my rig can do. I do a lot of things with my rigs. I didn't mean to come off as an a$$, but I get tired of hearing the BS that floats around here. My older FX build vs. my now old Intel 4790K was a mixed bag. I liked the Intel 4790K better, it did seem to perform just a bit better than my FX 8350... but I had my 8350 at a stable O.C. of 5 ghz. A lot of people didn't or couldn't hit that mark....stable that is. I had no issues with m FX 8350, and it would of lasted me even up till I upgraded my monitor to the 35" Argon ultra wide just a few months ago.

I find it funny, this isn't the only game I play, and this seems to be the only game that sucks so hard on so many rig's.... even on Intel builds. How many times have we all seen some one post on here, with an Intel rig, that wasn't putting out the smooth game play or the FPS seemed really low? lol. This game is just simply not optimized, and running on a $hit engine.... period, end of story. Btw.... Amd just admitted that they are also hit by 2 out of three issues that Intel and Arm CPU's are facing. How much impact this will have on performance...who knows at this point, anyone have any real info on the numbers after the fixes?

Bottom line, I get tired of the guys who think this is the only game that matters and a be all, end all on what type of rig to build. I am not a Amd fanboy, but honestly, I would rather buy their
CPU's if they can even come close to Intel's lineup. If my games play smooth, and I can do what I want with my rig's that is all that matters. Why, because Intel as a company just simply sucks a$$. Wired, I hardly play this game anymore either.... moved on to other things, and games. I hardly even played for the free stuff over the holidays, I just don't care anymore.

Btw.... Wired you are so right, Ram speed, motherboard, all make a huge difference when you build a Ryzen build. I researched hard when I built mine, spent the extra money on the amd 3200 mhz ram, went with a Asrock professional X370 mother board, and have had Zero issues or problems with my build. Some have gone with other boards.... MSI... X350 boards... and ram that didn't have B-dies.. and they are running into issues. Bottom line, research hard before you build any rig, it pays off in the long run.

These are my specs....

Ryzen 1700 @4 ghz With EK water block

16 gb of G.Skill Flare DDR4 @3200mhz

X370 Asrock professional mother board

MSI Seahawk 1070 8 gb card with Ek waterblock

1tb Samsung Evo M.2 drive

500 Samsung 840 Evo SSD

Blu-ray slot loading slim DVD drive

Corsair Rm 850X power supply

D5 pump with Bitspower pimp out case cover

XSPC Quad Rad with Corsair fans

Monsoon 1/2" ID x 5/8" OD hard lines, with Monsoon fittings

Bitpower flow meter

Pic is with my old BenQ 1440P 32" monitor, the new Agon 35" Ultra wide with G-sync rocks with this build....even with MWO. Zero issues..... other than the same old same old with this game, on every rig out there, including $10,000 plus builds. lol

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 18 January 2018 - 06:21 PM.

#18 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:41 PM

We have no specs from the OP.... no hardware info other than its a Ryzen build with a Nvidia 1080.... who knows what is going on with his system. List your specs, hardware, over clock info, what type of cooling, what type monitor you run. Maybe we can help....

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 19 January 2018 - 02:34 AM.

#19 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:05 AM

Thread derailed! Actually, was just kind of calling out fanboyism in general this time, Bill. There is that kind of trollish Intel one in this thread, too, after all :)

But you make a good point about Ryzen. Doing a lot of research ahead of time instead of just picking parts that 'should work' is going to get you way better results. That's why I'm thinking OP might have some kind of instability or conflict that is causing some performance issues. He hasn't dropped by to give us any of the information you and I have asked for yet, though, so hrmph. I might just disappear again.

I did get my 8700k up to 5.0GhZ on 4 cores, and 6 cores at 4.8GhZ, without any trouble. It stays silent with a 360mm radiator. I'm banking on it performing -really- well if I ever fire MWO up again. That's a big if because if I want to play, that means I want to enjoy myself, which means first I have to deal with the new skill tree or I'll just have bad times. A dismaying conundrum.

Should I bother playing MWO on this rig?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:25 AM

I hate you all with your gorgeous, modern rigs... Why do kids have to be so darn expensive and time consuming ! ;)

I'll just be over here... playing on my 4-yr old Dell Precision M4800... Dreaming...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users