Mechselect Thumbnail Update Please!

4 replies to this topic

#1 jimmyhackers

• Pip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:55 AM

annoyingly when i log in on a new computer and play mechwarrior all my thumbnails for selecting a mech show the standard camo pattern and not my custom one.

meaning to get it back i have to change my paintjob then save it then change it back and save it.

with 30+ mechs this gets rather tedious. can this be fixed or is there another easier way to do it that i dont know about?

thanks in advance
jim

#2 RJF Volkodav

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:26 AM

I have around 230 mechs. Imagine how fun is that for me Posted Image

Edited by RJF Volkodav, 16 January 2018 - 09:26 AM.

#3 Generic Internetter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 03:52 PM

Of all the things wrong with MWO... thumbnails?!

#4 aardappelianen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 195 posts
  • Locationamsterdam

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:47 AM

the thumbnails always fix themselves eventually, but yeah it is a bit annoying and sometimes my king crab is rendered in the right colours but with no torso :P

#5 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:10 AM

Hello, jimmyhackers... There happens to be a useful workaround for this issue. You'll need...
  • a USB Flash Drive of some kind, probably no larger than 8GB to 16GB
...but you can carry your MWO Profile with you from one computer to another. How? Well...
  • Go to Your Home Computer where you usually return to play MWO.
  • Make sure your USB Flash Drive is properly formatted, preferably in FAT32 so the data does not end up with all that NTFS baggage during transport.
  • Pull up Windows Explorer, and find "C:\Users\<Your UserName on Your Home Computer>\Saved Games"
  • Copy the Entire "MechWarrior Online" Directory from Your Windows User Folder to the USB Flash Drive.
...and then on ANY computer that you're at in the future, including Your Home Computer, so that your Latest Profile Data is always loaded...
  • Before playing MWO, use Windows Explorer, and copy that MWO Profile Folder from your USB Flash Drive to "C:\Users\<The 'Logged On' User's Name>\Saved Games".
  • Play MWO as much as you're going to, which will of course give you a set of Profile Data reflecting anything you did during that session.
  • After playing MWO, copy that Profile Folder back across onto the USB Flash Drive, accepting the Overwrite Prompt (as well as any alert where you have to tell the computer you're at that you're okay with dropping any NTFS baggage that tried to attach itself to your data), which will then update the data on the USB Flash Drive.
...and you'll then always have what you want/need with you all the time, never having to spend extra time for maintenance work to get everything in-game looking right. However, this does come with one thing you'll always have to remember to do, and that's to always use an AntiVirus to check your USB Flash Drive when you're on Your Home Computer. That way, your USB Flash Drive can be kept clean of nasty viruses, and you can always travel around with relative ease without too much worry of picking up something that would threaten the data you wish to carry with you. If anything does happen, cleanse the drive with AntiVirus assistance (and probably a reformat, unfortunately), and then pick up as recent a copy of your data as you can get from the third-most-recent computer that you used. Worst case, you end up having to start again from Your Home Computer, right? But at least this WorkAround will help you have less of a headache when dealing with playing MWO. :)

Yes, I know you wish PGI kept a full copy at their end. But, they don't, due to different systems needing different setups based on hardware and such. We all have to live with that. Anyway, if they tried to keep one set for all the computers that you use, and transmitted it to you every single time, it would take a hellishly long time to load up when first logging in. Like, on the order of 15 minutes. I'm sure none of us want that long a wait. Unfortunately, using one set for all the computers you use can also result in problems with screen resolutions and the like, as well as situations where you have more hardware options on one system than you do another. So be careful using workarounds, including what I'm providing, because it can be as equally a help as it can be a burden. :(

~Mr. D. V. "Try carrying a Profile Copy with you, but beware the caveats... I do NOT have a 100% perfect solution here." Devnull

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users