Machine Gun Event, Among Others, Make Game Less Appealing.

28 replies to this topic

#1 Biaxialrain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 291 posts
  • LocationThe Borderlands

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:56 AM

If you think MWO is about big, stompy robots shooting lasers, then I have the event for you.

Imagine, wolf packs of tiny, little hotboxes, moving three times the speed of your mech, circle strafing you with machine guns while your team mates mindlessly run in a circle, most looking like they're actually trying to avoid what they play the game for in the first place.

Sound like fun?

The end of the machine gun event couldn't come soon enough. Just when I start to enjoy the game again, PGI comes up with ways to make me think twice.

Events like this skew game play, make matches one dimensional and detract from what I think most people play MWO for.

Based on all the in game chat, I'm not alone.

#2 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:12 AM

Yes, the specific events can be a bit aggravating, but... this one is pretty funny, actually. Its not like 90% of these MG Lights are doing anything - Most are hilariously ineffective. Just treat this as an opportunity to work on your aim.

As for teams sprinting all over the place... people hardly need an event to do that in MWO.

#3 Daggett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:12 AM

So far it's only one day. I'm pretty sure that PGI won't do MG related events the whole next week.
If you don't like it then take a break today or abuse the event by running streaks and atms.

We will always have events more suited to us and those we won't like. For me it's faction play i avoid...

Edited by Daggett, 16 January 2018 - 07:14 AM.

#4 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:15 AM

The good news is that it only lasts 24 hours.

View PostBombast, on 16 January 2018 - 07:12 AM, said:

Yes, the specific events can be a bit aggravating, but... this one is pretty funny, actually. Its not like 90% of these MG Lights are doing anything - Most are hilariously ineffective. Just treat this as an opportunity to work on your aim.

As for teams sprinting all over the place... people hardly need an event to do that in MWO.

They definitely do something. I saw a Stalker with two exposed site torsos go from apocalpytic firepower to weaponless in about .0001 seconds. Currently, you can rely on every item in any location being immediately destroyed the second the armor is removed from that location.

#5 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:17 AM

View PostDaggett, on 16 January 2018 - 07:12 AM, said:

So far it's only one day. I'm pretty sure that PGI won't do MG related events the whole next week.

Well, its a Piranha event week. So, possibilities are...

-HMG Day
-LMG Day
-SPL Day
-ERSL Day
-Micro Day (ERSLs for Inner Sphere)
-AMS Day

Looking forward to an AMS day myself.

#6 Daggett

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:18 AM

View PostWater Bear, on 16 January 2018 - 07:15 AM, said:

They definitely do something. I saw a Stalker with two exposed site torsos go from apocalpytic firepower to weaponless in about .0001 seconds. Currently, you can rely on every item in any location being immediately destroyed the second the armor is removed from that location.

True, but how long do you think those open torsos will survive if i shoot them with other weapons?

What do you prefer: Having a MG spammer take out your weapons but leave the torso intact? Or do you rather like getting the torso destroyed completely by some ACs, SRMs, Gauss or laser-vomit which not only kills your guns but also dramatically reduces your speed and cooling if you run a light or clan XL or even outright kills your IS XL engine?

Generally better players aim for open components. From my experience it's very hard to protect such a location for a long time unless you retreat to third line which often also means using your weapons less effective/often.

So it's imperative to twist away damage early so your armor lasts as long as possible. As soon as it's gone players act like piranhas (pun intended) regardless of the weapons they use and make sure to finish that component.

Edited by Daggett, 16 January 2018 - 07:33 AM.

#7 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:20 AM

View PostWater Bear, on 16 January 2018 - 07:15 AM, said:

They definitely do something. I saw a Stalker with two exposed site torsos go from apocalpytic firepower to weaponless in about .0001 seconds.

Thats not a Machine Gun problem, thats a 'My armor is open' problem.

Currently, you can rely on every item in any location being immediately destroyed the second the armor is removed from that location.

You can also rely on roughly half the enemy team lacking the weapons necessary to open a location up.

#8 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:22 AM

View PostBombast, on 16 January 2018 - 07:12 AM, said:

I was unaware that the event had even started (or that there was an event in the first place) last night. Kept wondering why all these Jagger DDs and Arrows, and other MG toting mechs kept running straight at my Victor to die. All but one match (lets not go there) got me at least two solo kills. It was great! Now that I know about it though, I must, in the manner of all children who jump off a cliff when their friends jump off a cliff, break out my Arrow this evening (and maybe my Viper) and join in the absurdity.

#9 Alkabides

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 217 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:28 AM

Disagree... these events super fun. Makes you use weapon systems you might not usually and sometimes, gets you to switch over to playing them a lot more after event is over because you were having so much fun. Case in point, I saw an annililator last night loaded with just machine guns. You know that guy was ***** skeetn' his way to one hell of a night.

#10 blood4blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 527 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:35 AM

Played a couple games on an alt account last night, using laser vomit trial mech...didn't even notice there was an event going on lol.

#11 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:43 AM

Dual Gauss mechs can easily kick those Lights in the balls. Failing that, bring Streak mechs.

#12 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:47 AM

mini events like this are pretty much givaways, not really worth complaining about.

#13 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,760 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:11 AM

I had to leave town with 30 dmg points to go to get the swag, oh well.

A fun event although I have to admit I did some stupid stuff like face tank in my Arrow just to get the mg damage numbers up. Still, the sight of all those tracers flying around was pretty cool, and watching a Direwolf get attacked by half a dozen mechs with mg's was hilarious, you couldn't see the mech for all the sparks flying Posted Image .

I'm a terrible light mech driver so for the Clan portion I ended up using an Ebon Jag with three LPL's and three mg's, which turned out to be surprisingly effective.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#14 MikeBend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 536 posts
  • LocationUnderhive

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:37 AM

On a side note its funny how it took 5 or 6 mathches in Huginn to complete IS part and only 1 match in ecm 8 mg cheetah to complete Clan part. Wonder how Piranha would play.

#15 Tordin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:49 AM

View PostBombast, on 16 January 2018 - 07:17 AM, said:

Well, its a Piranha event week. So, possibilities are...

-HMG Day
-LMG Day
-SPL Day
-ERSL Day
-Micro Day (ERSLs for Inner Sphere)
-AMS Day

Looking forward to an AMS day myself.

Propably.

I like events featuring underestimated/ under used weapons. Just watch the chaos and mayhem unfold!
This one, not an exception.

Please PGI, no nerf machine gunzors just because ONE mech can mount frakking 12 of them. Rather nerf that mech a little instead if reaaaly needed. Dont go overboard anyhow.

Seriously. The poor mechs with 2-6 mg, especially IS mechs will get hurt even more, since machine guns are one of the very few viable ballistic weapons for them, even MG can add that just extra needed damage and critting needed to be viable as a whole.

Edited by Tordin, 16 January 2018 - 10:50 AM.

#16 w4ldO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 296 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:58 AM

upcoming events are way better.

#17 Mechrophilia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 397 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:10 PM

It was only one day, and the prize was nice for such an easy event.. and lets be honest. It actually WAS kinda fun to see all those little zippies darting back and forth spitting bullets everywhere. It was like a couple dozen chihuahuas that Cesar Millan couldn't control out there. Hilarious!

If you dared pilot an assault mech, you were nuts and probably had a very bad time... But if you packed some streaks in a fast medium mech, then...*grin*

#18 Lunatic NEo

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:13 PM

Best Event since at least a year! (not beeing sarcastic!)

Edited by Lunatic NEo, 16 January 2018 - 12:17 PM.

#19 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:52 PM

Fun is subjective, a lot of people are enjoying the event. Hell, seeing more lights in the game right now than I have in a long time. Let them have their pocket-dakka and fun.

#20 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:15 PM

View PostTordin, on 16 January 2018 - 10:49 AM, said:

Rather nerf that mech a little instead if reaaaly needed. Dont go overboard anyhow.

I fully disagree. Lights are already the much maligned red-headed stepchildren in MWO. Nerfing the Piranha just because it is expected to perform better than its ilk is why balancing in MWO is so ****** up.

Edited by Mystere, 16 January 2018 - 01:18 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users