Requiring Both Inner Sphere And Clan For The Mg Event Is A **** Move Pgi

53 replies to this topic

#1 Smith Gibson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:12 AM

Especially when you offer no Clan Trial 'Mechs equipped with MG's on the day of the event.

Not all of us have 'Mechs from both factions.

In my particular case, I take it as a point of pride that I have never piloted a Clan 'Mech, and I'm rather irritated that you insist I stop playing the game "wrong" if I want the prize you are offering.

**** move guys, **** move.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:16 AM

While I'm not agreeing with the event requirements, I think your specific reason is a bit...well...petty. Taking it as "pride" to have never used a mech sounds like you think the people who do play them are the ones playing the game wrong.

#3 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:18 AM

Way to get bent out of shape over a measly 50MC.

#4 McGoat

Banned -Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 629 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:19 AM

You probably wouldn't get the damage required anyways - so better ***** to PGI about them not catering to every single player out there.

It's free stuff - there's nothing to complain about if you cannot meet the requirements.

#5 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:20 AM

You take pride in never playing clan mechs?

That doesn't make any sense. There is nothing to be proud over.
Most people are not so absurd, that they won't pilot the other tech...it is a video game afterall.

So you being upset is not only silly, but it is really on you.

#6 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:33 AM

Dude, buy some clan mechs for christsakes.

I was an IS loyalist for 2 years, going so far as to having PGI remove free clan mechs that I had won in events to prevent them from soiling my pure IS nostalgia account. Then Russ and Chris (Hi Chris) said they were going to trash my IS mechs by “dramatically reducing” or eliminating all their quirks without explaining how they would keep them viable in a schema without those quirks and I decided to give the dark side a try (tbf they didn’t remove all the quirks but still, I believed their threats).

Holy crap do I regret not giving those filthy clan mechs a try sooner. Yes PGI will ruin mechs on both sides (its what they do after all) but clan mechs are inherently far more resistant to their whims and make for a much more enjoyable playing experience for those of us of mediocre skill.

Let your lorenerd nostalgia go and try a few clan mechs. You won’t regret it (Caveat, skip the Kodiaks, you will regret those, or at least leveling them, other than that, go nuts).

Edited by Bud Crue, 16 January 2018 - 11:36 AM.

#7 Smith Gibson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:39 AM

View PostFupDup, on 16 January 2018 - 11:16 AM, said:

While I'm not agreeing with the event requirements, I think your specific reason is a bit...well...petty. Taking it as "pride" to have never used a mech sounds like you think the people who do play them are the ones playing the game wrong.

I've loved BattleTech since it first came out as a Table-Top game in the '80s. I loved the struggle against almost impossible odds with the difference in technology between the invading Clans and the Inner Sphere. I want to continue that feeling and I can't get it if I play the better technology side. If I wanted to simply win because it was a generic robots with lasers game I would play Clans. Instead I want to win against the odds by playing the underdog. I take it as a point of pride that I haven't decided to take the easy route to winning.

I admit to one petty aspect of my decision though. In the lore of BattleTech the Clans practice slavery, so that's what I remember each time I'm tempted to switch sides so I can win more. I see the clans as "the bad guys" and simply don't enjoy any game that make me play the villains.

Edited by Smith Gibson, 16 January 2018 - 11:39 AM.

#8 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:41 AM

There is no roleplay in QP. In fact there is almost none left in CW. I suggest you reconcile yourself with that fact and buy mechs accordingly.

Edited by Spheroid, 16 January 2018 - 11:44 AM.

#9 rustyrat

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:47 AM

I bought couple mg clan mechs, but was totally worth it. Never played those bots before.

Know thy enemy, they say...

// rusty

Ps. The mglx thingy needs flash supressor!

Edited by rustyrat, 16 January 2018 - 11:49 AM.

#10 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:47 AM

View PostSmith Gibson, on 16 January 2018 - 11:39 AM, said:

I've loved BattleTech since it first came out as a Table-Top game in the '80s. I loved the struggle against almost impossible odds with the difference in technology between the invading Clans and the Inner Sphere. I want to continue that feeling and I can't get it if I play the better technology side. If I wanted to simply win because it was a generic robots with lasers game I would play Clans. Instead I want to win against the odds by playing the underdog. I take it as a point of pride that I haven't decided to take the easy route to winning.

I admit to one petty aspect of my decision though. In the lore of BattleTech the Clans practice slavery, so that's what I remember each time I'm tempted to switch sides so I can win more. I see the clans as "the bad guys" and simply don't enjoy any game that make me play the villains.

But, this is not that game. There are no good guys, bad guys, underdogs, slaves, etc. This is MWO and while PGI asserts that it takes places in the “rich Battletech Universe”. It really doesn’t. It takes place in a land called QP against 12 random people of which none are good guys or bad guys but merely red or blue. You can also play in the realm of FP, which is populated by 40 or 50 loyalists and about 400 mercs. So, yeah, moral high ground is sort of lacking.

#11 Smith Gibson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:51 AM

Guys, I already know I play the game "wrong". But my choices are play "wrong" or don't play at all. The third choice is not fun and equates to becoming the don't play at all choice. I've left the game multiple times already and probably will again, but for the while at least i'm playing, and PGI needs to keep what few players it still has. I don't know if there are only a dozen other players like me, or if there are hundreds, but if it's more than just a drop in the bucket, they should know this is not the route to keeping the population at a functional level.

#12 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:55 AM

I have two Clan mechs. One that I won. The other I purchased for testing purposes. In this case the latter is convenient since it's the 8 ballistic Mist Lynx.

I understand wanting to be loyal to what you like. But it is just a pvp game. The lore is pretty absent. And it's not really going to kill you to miss 50 MC. Unless they're requiring Clan and IS on every event. That is annoying. : /

Sometimes things can't be catered to your beliefs. Such is reality.

#13 Mechrophilia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 397 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:56 AM

I think most of you are giving this guy too hard of a time. Strong faction loyalty in the ultrageek Battletech world is common.

To the OP I would say this: Try not to think of MWO as in any way representative of the Battletech world because other than its thin outer shell, it is not. Someone can still be, say, a "Battetech Liao" purist while using a 'clan' mech from time to time in the first person shooter called MWO.

#14 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:06 PM

View PostMechrophilia, on 16 January 2018 - 11:56 AM, said:

I think most of you are giving this guy too hard of a time. Strong faction loyalty in the ultrageek Battletech world is common.

To the OP I would say this: Try not to think of MWO as in any way representative of the Battletech world because other than its thin outer shell, it is not. Someone can still be, say, a "Battetech Liao" purist while using a 'clan' mech from time to time in the first person shooter called MWO.

Totally agree, I just want to let him know that I for one understand exactly where he is coming from, as I played the same way for a long time. But that, I also now recognize how much enjoyment of THIS game i missed out on by trying to impose my past BT and MW based lore nostalgia on to it. Some clan mechs are a lot of fun to play and not playing them because of a storyline or plot device from another game just short changes how much enjoyment he might have in THIS game. Believe me I know.

#15 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:08 PM

*Shrug* I have almost 1 billion cbills.
Bought the Mist Lynx that has 8 MGs stock for ~5mill, no skin off my back (it only took 2 matches to get the 500 damage, as opposed to half a dozen with IS mechs, lol, mostly because i don't really have any MG boats)
Will simply get rid of it once the event is over and i no longer need it.

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 16 January 2018 - 12:09 PM.

#16 TWIAFU

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:11 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 16 January 2018 - 11:41 AM, said:

There is no roleplay in QP. In fact there is almost none left in CW. I suggest you reconcile yourself with that fact and buy mechs accordingly.

I wish you would tell everyone in CW that, insta-drops all day.

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 16 January 2018 - 12:08 PM, said:

*Shrug* I have almost 1 billion cbills.
Bought the Mist Lynx that has 8 MGs stock for ~5mill, no skin off my back (it only took 2 matches to get the 500 damage, as opposed to half a dozen with IS mechs, lol, mostly because i don't really have any MG boats)
Will simply get rid of it once the event is over and i no longer need it.

Is 5mil worth 50MC? 5mil for one drop?

Just odd to me to spend that for something I will use once and 50MC. 50MC is not worth the frustration of it in QP.

#17 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:14 PM

View PostTWIAFU, on 16 January 2018 - 12:11 PM, said:

I wish you would tell everyone in CW that, insta-drops all day.

Is 5mil worth 50MC? 5mil for one drop?

Just odd to me to spend that for something I will use once and 50MC. 50MC is not worth the frustration of it in QP.

Well, the event will probably have daily challenges, so i might keep it around for the rest of the days just in case.
And dude, i'm not doing it for the MC (i have like 22k of the stuff and no idea what to spend it on). I'm doing it just to have it done, because i'm kinda nutty that way.

#18 w4ldO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 296 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:15 PM

upcoming events are out

#19 Battlemaster56

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:24 PM

Posted Image

That's petty man just move on the rewards not even that huge.

#20 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:33 PM

For 50 MC and a silly cockpit item....

Seems like pretty much anything else in the game would be more worth complaining about.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users