7 replies to this topic

#1 MoonShaman

• PipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 20 posts
  • LocationShetland Isles

Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:21 PM

I didn't know where else to place this as this is too broad to "fit" into any other area I feel, so I'm placing it here for now.

I've been outta MWO for a little bit, I didn't really play very much from November and I quit all out over the festive period and only until just the other weekend, as I had found myself getting angry quickly at how quick I was being cored. Every. Single. Game.

I've also not posted for some time on here. Not sure if I like how there no real place to put a LARGE grievance like this. I have ... kind of had one thing answered in that the devs do seem to know there needs some re hauling of 'mech's builds, but I would say it's more about armour- as I am finding myself being cored VERY easily. Esp in lights and mediums and really ANY 'mech until I've bought ALL perks in the armour tree, but even then I'm dying with very few hits and/or losing arms and legs and torsos at an alarming rate.

What I don't understand is though: WHY? Why are there insane builds that seem to be bringing even assaults down in just a few solo hits from a single 'mech?

In one match I had my entire right side stripped by one hit while in my Arctic Cheetah, in my Stormcrow tonight five hits. That was it, five hits and the one well placed LRM hit which I couldn't do squat about ended me.

I find the need to blow so many perk points (and not to mention the cash for them) to be moot. We shouldn't need to buy 36 points of armour just for the CHANCE to survive such insane odds.

Other than using allies as 'mech shields, is there any work actually being done to address this insanity? Or is it the typical "You can scream until you are blue in the face but no one cares." kind of mindset?

#2 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:03 PM

Classically, for assaults at least, we shoot them in the back.

Assaults can actually Take Quite a Beating. Without seeing the match, I couldn't tell you. I do know that dual gauss with ppc assist can be effective, and there're still some folk who prefer a high count Large Laser burn. Me, I'm more an SRM an autocannon guy myself, but I'll keep a few of the closer range lasers around, just to round out the hardpoints and squeeze as high an alpha I can onboard.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 18 January 2018 - 03:04 PM.

#3 MoonShaman

• PipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 20 posts
  • LocationShetland Isles

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:09 PM

View PostLeone, on 18 January 2018 - 03:03 PM, said:

Classically, for assaults at least, we shoot them in the back.

Assaults can actually Take Quite a Beating. Without seeing the match, I couldn't tell you. I do know that dual gauss with ppc assist can be effective, and there're still some folk who prefer a high count Large Laser burn. Me, I'm more an SRM an autocannon guy myself, but I'll keep a few of the closer range lasers around, just to round out the hardpoints and squeeze as high an alpha I can onboard.

~Leone.

Yeah, just ran my Madcat and I took quite a beating... I'm not sure what I was doing wrong when I returned.. maybe running off or being trapped with no allies... I do remember my Supernova being cored quite fast, but again maybe I was just getting really unlucky.

My statement still stands though- everything else gets cored REALLY quick.

#4 Laser Kiwi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant-Colonel
  • Leutnant-Colonel
  • 271 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:53 PM

somebody invented such things as dual snub nose and ac20, or heavy laser er medium laser vomit or ac20 3(4)x srm6 cluster struck, or a flippin pakhet srm a million or a bunch of stuff, basically unless you are in an annihilator you can lose your torso amour in about 10 seconds flat (and if you are you'll get some attention anyways) and there isn't a lot that can be done about it whilst people know how to shoot straight......which makes you all safe from me at the moment cause i'm sucking this month.

Its the reason why they doubled armour in the first place, to avoid insta kills, now we have 2 shot insta kills.......

Basically you can't get isolated and expect to come out on top and even if you do expect to be open.

oh and twist, preemptively

#5 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:59 PM

Armor is no passive installation that you slap on and that now gets striped from you.
What happens atm is that you get shoot and you in return try to shoot too....that is wrong.

The moment you get shot and you do not IMMEDIATELY do something about it means you a as dead as the rock your face will get stomped in when you do not learn to mitigate damage, distribute damage and partially avoid damage.

Lets take a realy stupid example.
Captain America.
His main feature is his indestructible, gaudy shield.
If he would just hold his shield towards the enemy soon somebody would remove his knee caps.

Use your armor by protecting vulnerable zones by holding disposable armor into the line of fire, optimize your movement paterns and the time frames the enemy is able to shoot you.
Like this: Posted Image -->oooo Posted Image
See? When he trys to shoot you through the obstacles at least parts of his shots will hit obstacles or miss you because he overcompensates.
Now add speed and right timing.

You get cored quickly because you are to slow and to passive in most cases.
A good medium dies without both arms, missing a side torso and a leg.

Edited by The Basilisk, 18 January 2018 - 04:00 PM.

#6 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:01 PM

Taking 5 hits is a lot of hits. Also light mechs have very little armor, they have speed instead, so your goal is to not get hit or only take grazing hits. If you aren't dodging in a light mech then you're a dead light mech.

Basically just stick with the team, use proper cover, don't stand in the open, don't just stand infront of enemies to be shot if you aren't shooting back, if there are multiple enemies looking at you then get back to cover even if you were shooting back.

Mechs put way way more tonnage into their weaponry than they do armor, those guns will blow you away.

#7 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 19 January 2018 - 03:12 AM

View PostMoonShaman, on 18 January 2018 - 02:21 PM, said:

I've been outta MWO for a little bit, I didn't really play very much from November and I quit all out over the festive period and only until just the other weekend, as I had found myself getting angry quickly at how quick I was being cored. Every. Single. Game.

I have ... kind of had one thing answered in that the devs do seem to know there needs some re hauling of 'mech's builds, but I would say it's more about armour- as I am finding myself being cored VERY easily.
It's down to your use of cover and positioning in relation to the rest of your team.

If you overextend and are the only visible target, you're going to get focused by the enemy FAST. If you're mounting anything that makes you a high priority target, you're going to get focused if the enemy has a shred of idea as to what they are doing. If you're heavily damaged... you're going to get focused because the enemy wants the easy kill.

Basically, if you've got several enemy mechs with LOS on you... GTFO and regroup with your team..

Esp in lights and mediums and really ANY 'mech until I've bought ALL perks in the armour tree, but even then I'm dying with very few hits and/or losing arms and legs and torsos at an alarming rate.

Lights survive on speed, not armor. Mediums have enough armor to take a hit, but not enough to keep tanking damage - they either survive on speed or stay close to their tankier, heavier breathren.

Have you maxed out the armor on the chassis itself? Does the chassis have armor quirks? Are you using IS XL engines? If the answer to any of those is "no", then do not expect it to take much damage.

What I don't understand is though: WHY? Why are there insane builds that seem to be bringing even assaults down in just a few solo hits from a single 'mech?
Those builds have been there for years, and you're not actually talking "hits" but "alphas" (salvos). Mechs can - and could for years - deliver 40+ points of damage in one salvo, and some assault mechs can do 80+ points of purely pin-point damage. If one of those gets to focus down on your ACH or SCR's side, you're going to pop like a wet balloon.

and the one well placed LRM hit which I couldn't do squat about
You can, if you react quickly enough. Dive behind another mech (or ground cover) and/or turn to present your less damaged side to the incoming missiles. Having friendly AMS and/or ECM helps. If you're far enough from enemy spotters, you can just outright break the lock.

Other than using allies as 'mech shields, is there any work actually being done to address this insanity? Or is it the typical "You can scream until you are blue in the face but no one cares." kind of mindset?
If you're almost dead then you're supposed to withdraw and let allies tank the damage.

#8 Spare Parts Bin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:54 PM

Situational awareness is key it is way too easy to end up in a bad place alone. Use cover effectively, max your armour, use armour skills, AMS and/or ECM plus situational awareness you may survive the game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users