Terra Therma Too Dark, Odd Contrast

10 replies to this topic

#1 Major Depression

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 04:01 AM

Hi Folks,

Not sure if it's just me or something funky with my graphics card, but I struggle to see anything when playing on Terra Therma. Most of the map is so dark and the lava practically glows, making the contrast completely throw me off. This is the only map I have an issue with, not sure if it's something to do with my Ati R7 360 OC not handling the lighting effects, but considering other maps are fine I doubt it. I have tried playing with both heat and night vision but unlike other maps even this doesn't help much if at all. Generally I can only see other mechs if they're within 300m, almost like they don't get properly textured until they're up close and match the background making them practically invisible until it's too late.

Any suggestions people could suggest would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
TheRealInja

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:42 AM

This is where I change my ingame gamma settings after I am on the map. I also do the same thing when tis dusk, etc. Also toggling night view or thermal view.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 21 January 2018 - 09:45 AM.

#3 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:42 AM

Oddly enough, I have never had this issue, despite being on a really old laptop.

I recommend calibrating your monitor. Here's a good site that can help you get a good calibration for free: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

#4 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:00 AM

I see mostly nothing on terra therma, maybe the red color that we don't see well when becoming older...

Never tried ingame gamma setting, will probably do, thx

#5 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:27 PM

[redacted]

Edited by Throe, 11 December 2018 - 04:43 PM.

#6 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 06:07 AM

Thinking about it.. can we have a freaking spotlight?

#7 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:11 PM

[redacted]

Edited by Throe, 11 December 2018 - 04:44 PM.

#8 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:54 PM

@TheRealInja --- Suggest you turn up your monitor when you're on Terra Therma, and turn it back down after the match. I get the feeling you're having a hard time with the dark environment like I do, but only because of needing lower settings during all other use. That map still plays interestingly, though... If only people would use the brighter areas more... :mellow:

~D. V. "And don't forget a Cool Shot!" Devnull

#9 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:23 AM

View PostThroe, on 25 January 2018 - 05:11 PM, said:

I'm going to assume you mean a toggle-able spotlight, because most players will probably cry foul if it's an "always-on" on every 'Mech:

1) I'm sure most players will leave this off 99.9% of the time. Much like the "third person view" beacon, it would have a tendency to assist those attempting to destroy you more than it would help you return accurate fire.

2) I could only really see a use for this during "nighttime", when used against opponents with night vision enabled(forcing them to turn it off or see mostly white, fully occluding their vision). The problem being that there is no way to tell when an opponent has night vision enabled, and turning this on still gives away your position for anyone who can see the "beam" downrange.

A toggle on/off light for sure.

#10 PFC Carsten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 27 January 2018 - 01:20 AM

Problems* and suggested solutions* for Terra Therma directly point to very poor choice of lighting for this map*. PGI should fix this, it's an easily set parameter in the Cryengine, should take no more than an hour for an experienced programmer to find a playable setting for normal monitors.

*I say this, because when neither the in-game tools „Heat“- or „Night“-Vision alleviate the problem but only something that is only intended to correct for broken monitor gamma settings to have the same visual experience for all players, then there's clearly something off. Because both in-game vision modes have their own drawbacks (range for example) and when tempering with another control (gamma, be it in-game or your monitor) circumvents those intended drawbacks it's exploiting. Which you willfully support, so it's not an offense on the side of the players.

If you, PGI, want for some maps to have the player's vision impaired, do it by other means. For example outworldly electromagnetic storms distorting the whole environment (remember, even normal vision is a combination of sensors as per lore - which does not count for much here, I'm awara thank you), Or have particle effects-based dust swirl through the map - and make sure, that it's also present on the lowest graphical settings, maybe only as ugly billboards instead of real particles. You get the meaning.

#11 Bespoke Cheese Cake

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 225 posts
  • LocationThem Interwebs, often in K-Town

Posted 27 January 2018 - 02:37 AM

Press N for night vision

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users