Are All Mmos And Fps Online Games The Same?

News

70 replies to this topic

#61 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:12 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 22 January 2018 - 08:05 AM, said:

Deathstrike....

Not exactly an exception, but not a consistent thing either.
Ember, Dragon Slayer, Oxide
They were all the best, at one point, and all Heroes.

The question is: How long with the DeathStrike remain the best mech in the game?

Its kinda neato how the best and worst mechs can both be hero mechs. Rip Pretty Baby. Kinda makes the hero mechs feel really balanced out since they're just spread at all levels of effectiveness. At any given time some mech's gotta be the best, used to be the KDK-3 last meta for assaults, now its the Deathstrike, when can we get a Bane/Kraken?

#62 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:14 AM

View PostSteel Raven, on 21 January 2018 - 08:42 PM, said:

I heard Runescape had a PvP issue in the past where more experience would hunt newbies, it was Day Z before Day Z. They had to actively change some aspect of the game to ride the trolls in the community.

There is a ultra competitive culture in almost every PvP game community, including Overwatch. It's a unfortunate part of our web culture that we may never be ride of. Some communities have temper the more toxic aspect though it takes some effort on the communities part to self police.

To expand upon this:

https://en.wikipedia...of_player_types

Or for those that don't want to read:

[media]

[media]

Now I know I'm a mix between explorer and social at this stage in my life.

#63 blood4blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 527 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:23 AM

If I'm reading this thread correctly it sounds like some people have yet to realize that MWO split group queue and solo queue for quick play games years ago. Solo players in quick play will pretty much never encounter a premade team in MWO. Faction play/community warfare is entirely different.

As for P2W, there are a few good hero mechs, or at least there are until the nerf bat is swung, but I can't recall there ever being a "must-have-it-or-you-lose" mech in MWO. Also, I'd point out that with all the MC rewards from events, I've got two hero mechs on an alt account for which I have never paid any real money, so even that can be obtained with patience.

#64 Daggett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:16 AM

View Postmarcusmaximus55, on 22 January 2018 - 05:10 AM, said:

most game players don't know they are being used for "seal puppy clubbing" "pawg" matches on pugs and lower teir lances

Wow, people really have weird conspiracy theories for every topic imaginable...

You are basically saying that your opinion must be true because we puppys are too dumb to see the big picture. It's the same killer argument that's used to stop criticism against dumb stuff like flat earth, new world order or chemtrails.

It's like "Ohh, it doesn't matter what you say, you can't see behind the curtain anyway. Open your eyes, sheep!!!!1elf".

You even made up the handy abbreviation "pawg" to make your claim sound more established just like the pseudoscience words those tinfoil-hat guys use. Google it, "pawg" is NOT a term related to gaming and it's not common amongst gamers. Even "pre arranged win match" only leads to wrestling and rumors about chess players who prefer to draw instead of playing a match. Both have nothing to do with games similar to MWO.

I am designing F2P games for a living and i can assure you that at least most studios of PGI's size don't manipulate matchmaking like you described, it's counterproductive.
Typical F2P online games need a constant influx of new players to survive, they can't afford to screw them all over to cater to some paying players.

Those who pay have already decided that they like the game and their current chance at winning each match as it is.
You won't increase their spending by making the game easier for them. If anything you will lose those of them who like competition instead of clubbing seals.

The primary goal of any competitive F2P game is to attract and maintain enough players to get reasonable matchmaking time and quality while trying to convert new players into paying ones. You fail at both goals if you rig matches to the disadvantage of those new players.

If your theory should make any sense at all then you rig the matches in favor of the new players so they have more sense of achievement and thus are more likely to get hooked to the gameplay which in turn increases the chance of them spending money.

And some games even do this by letting you fight your first matches against gimped bots before throwing you into the PvP shark tank. But this does not influence any other player in the game like your theory suggests.

MWO has enough problems which can explain everything much better than your 'pawg'-theory claims to do.

For example FP is the result of bad design decisions (maybe influenced by IGP, the former publisher) which were not accepted by the majority of players. This caused a low population which in turn forced PGI to dump matchmaking and also put pugs and coordinated units into the same queue to have a chance of matches happening for both groups.

That's all. No 'pawg' needed to explain why pug's and average units suffer in FP when they regularly have to fight much better units like EVIL. And to fix this a lot of effort needs to be made which probably won't happen anytime soon or ever.

And QP? Those 60K active players you mentioned are not as much as you think. They are spread across server-regions, timezones, days (some can only play on specific days like weekends) and queues (QP, group-QP, private matches, comp, FP, scouting). It does not take a math genius to see that there is only a fraction of those players online at any given time, region and queue.

Not to mention many of those players only do a few matches each month, which further impacts the 'fodder' for matchmaking. Or that PSR does not work as intended.

Edited by Daggett, 22 January 2018 - 09:25 AM.

#65 sub2000

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:54 AM

View Postsycocys, on 22 January 2018 - 03:58 AM, said:

First off, this seems like a troll's alt account, but I'll bite anyhow because its early and I haven't had any coffee.

- pawg (Pre Determined Win Game) -- where does the A come from?
- really seems like a snowflake concept to me (zomg the world is out to get me!!!), also google pawg for laughs.
--how do you reckon this concept even applies to most pvp MMOs much less this one?

It is a normal practice in very many online games, and not only games (you can check your google foo and search articles in programmer scientific journals. There are a plenty. some big publishers even patent these "algorithms").
In short most standard scheme:
MM (it should be normal working MM based on performance criteria) has access to your billing stat.
If you'vee paid money to speed up progress, but it was a while ago it will match you in the "loosing" group (say opposite group gets "carrier" with w2l much higher than anybody in your team), to build up your frustration and push to "speed" up things. There are rather general (universal?) parameters how long you can stay frustrated, how many games you ready to loose before quite in rage, completely quitting, how much you are ready spending to stay (MZ mined amazing statistics out of Game of War on money habits and impulse buying and is earning money on that) etc.
As it was discussed many times MWO does not have working MM.

#66 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:21 PM

in a week this thread will be forgotten

I understand what he saying but it wont change anything

#67 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:51 PM

View Postsub2000, on 22 January 2018 - 11:54 AM, said:

As it was discussed many times MWO does not have working MM.

You've not been around long enough to understand that the poor function of the MM is due to PGI's only passable abilities to code games? In fact if you read those threads beyond the title, I'm quite certain that you'd have run across all sorts of examples of how poorly their programming of such things works - as well as to why they need to have most of the gates open (due to low player population at any given time).

As for them implementing some sort of intentionally imbalance approach to drive sales (going beyond their inability to code it) - they'd have to have a sustainable player base incoming to even have a chance at making that work. It's just not there, their paying player base is nostalgic people that grew up with the franchise and your theory wouldn't even apply because they've proven time and time again that they'll buy literally anything that has the art assets that present them a trip to their past.

Literally all the encouragement that is needed to drive the reoccurring sales for this game is new art assets, and that's why you have mechpack after mechpack released with almost no other content to speak of.

#68 marcusmaximus55

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:52 PM

LOTS of rage in this "friendly helpful community. that's willing to help new players learn the game"
another MWO lie. just like the company is use to, and wants. several people actually read my post and answered my question without a personal attack . expressed there opinion and were helpful.
this game was deleted 8 days after I started playing. your gameing community isn't bad its terrible.
how many posts "THREW OUT THIS ENTIRE MWO FORUM ON ALL ARTICELS" on any subject
is actually helpful to a new player?? very little with out the constant commercial "BUY THE PRODUCT OR GET OUT" sad sad sad. over a hundred viewed this post. and can see exactly how this "fine group of commited people work together and help one another.

WORST MOB MENTALITY EVER

I am so glad that most of u think a video game is more important than other people. really shows the sad state of morale corruption in the gameing world today. buy another mech it will fix your life.

new topic should our children (16 and under) be exposed to this kind of ethic.... does your kid play MWO do they "troll" for that quick satisfaction of trying to humiliate another human being". do u let the young adult in your life that is cherished be exposed to this kind of bulling. please read as many articles as possible posted on this forum under FP and QP with players that actually have a valid question or statement. see what this FINE communitys general response is to new players that state they are F2P and those that ARE P2W. its ALLWAYS $$$$$ or get out.
next article will be starting soon keep a eye out for it or watch a MWO sponsored utube video called "compilation of worst MWO players" where the mods have posted exatly what they think of there player community. that's right they laughing all the way to the bank daily/hourly/ and right now. just buy a new mech and your life will get better....

maybe this issue should be addressed in a supreme court "corporate agenda in the video game industry". and no buying a new mech does not fix a BAD community.

so what part of MWO is not a lie ?? the game itself is tiny, easy, and not skill based. how could any one grind on this thing for more than a week. let alone years. over a hundred mechs? why?
show your grit. new players get trial mechs. lets see how the "pros" handel a trial steiner in a pug match. seriously it over heats that bad? thats the idea of this games competitive play??
THE WORST HAND PICKED BUNCHES OF JUNK THERE ARE to match in mostly against higer teir pilots in QP? really?? balanced matches for same teir pilots just don't exist sorry. just buy another mec.

#69 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:01 PM

You don't play the game - as you've stated several times that you rage quit on day 8 and uninstalled.

Also I hear the helicopters coming, did you need a ride?

-- And seriously man, less drugs.

Edited by sycocys, 22 January 2018 - 01:06 PM.

#70 Seranov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:11 PM

If you came back with actually legible arguments, instead of just making up fake terms, and maybe learned how to actually format a post in a way that wasn't unbelievably difficult to actually read, let alone parse the meaning of, maybe we wouldn't dump on you for being a potato. But you didn't, you started crying about a game you barely understand in a nearly unintelligible manner, moaning about P2W in a game where you were probably getting steamrolled by other potatoes in C-Bill mechs.

The rest of your arguments are laughable. I could reply to each of them, but it's more amusing to watch you flail about in an attempt to act like you have the moral high ground.

#71 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:23 PM

[mod]Due to numerous inappropriate references & unconstructive discussion,
this thread is now closed.[/mod]

Edited by draiocht, 22 January 2018 - 04:22 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users