Three Issues

12 replies to this topic

#1 FearThePaladin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 117 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:51 AM

1. When posting to the forum I have to write the post in a document editor. If I do not when I hit the space typing directly in the forum post it acts as if I am hitting the page down and not a space. Meaning that my whole post is without spaces.
2. Disconnection issues after a match. I have noticed after the last update that about 10 percent of the time as soon as a match is over that I am disconnected from the game. I have to log back into it.
3. This is a serious issue with hit box calculations when a torso is removed. I have noticed that when shooting a mech that has had its torso shot off that there is a problem with the damage calculation. I have posted a video of the issue. This was shot in testing grounds but I have noticed the same thing when in a match.

You can see that In the video I have taken off the torso of the cataphract. I then proceed to shoot the mech with 24 heavy gauss rounds before it eventually is destroyed. Just to be clear that’s 600 points of damage that at this point should be hitting the CT of the Cataphract. Just me but I am pretty sure that the cataphract does not have 600 points of CT armor.
Please address this as its very frustrating to know that a mech should have been taken down but yet I have to get them to turn so I can get a direct CT hit.

Edited by FearThePaladin, 22 January 2018 - 06:33 AM.

#2 MiZia

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:17 AM

Tbh 24*25 is 600 dmg and only 50% of it transfers to ct hitting st which means 300 transferred.
But still, a CTF should not have that much armor+structure on ct.

In Fact, just tested it. u where hitting the non existent arm which gives u a dmg transfer of only 25% on ct.
I needed only 11 HGauss rounds hitting the st to get trough armor and structure of the ctf ct.

Edited by MiZia, 22 January 2018 - 06:26 AM.

#3 FearThePaladin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 117 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:38 AM

That is a good point about the points of damage. However if the Right arm and right CT are destroyed there should be no transfer damage as it should just register as a CT hit.

If I am getting transfer damage because of a missing arm or torso that is just plain foolish. It should be registering as a CT hit and be 100 percent applied not transferred.

What a non-existent arm and torso now act as permeant armor? That's just ridiculous. Transfer damage should only apply if the arm\right ct still had armor or structure left. Once it is destroyed there should no longer be transfer damage it should be directly applied to the component hit. In this case the CT.

#4 MiZia

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:43 AM

Im sorry... but i didnt make those rules.
As written if u hit an extension of a destroyed Arm 50% goes to the St and if this is also Destroyed 50% goes to CT that means off your 25 dmg only 6.25 r actually hitting CT.

Thats why shielding is that much valuable in game if u r not using Is XL Engines.

Edited by MiZia, 22 January 2018 - 06:46 AM.

#5 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:17 PM

I believe those percentages are off, that is that they are greater than 50% then 50% (50%/75%)

https://mwomercs.com...amage-transfer/

From leg to ST /Arm to ST / ST to CT it is reduced by 60%, or only 40% of the damage transfers to the next section. From destroyed leg-destroyed ST>CT or destroyed arm-destroyed ST>CT then only 20% of the damage transfers.

#6 FearThePaladin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 117 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:07 PM

If I was playing a RPG game with dice then hell that makes sense to me. However playing a computer game where the arm is on the ground. Then its ridiculous to calculate damage for something that is no longer on the mech.

This is not a board game any longer and if they are using that logic then this is something that needs to be updated for a computer game.

I work with computers and programmers. This would be a one or two line change to the code to flag the part as gone and allow complete pass through damage.

Edited by FearThePaladin, 22 January 2018 - 06:05 PM.

#7 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:39 PM

View PostFearThePaladin, on 22 January 2018 - 05:07 PM, said:

This would be a one or two line change to the code to flag the part as gone and allow complete pass through damage.

I dunno how good these programmers you work with are .... but in the MWO codebase we have this thing called code fragility .... where you change these two lines here .... and at the final output, unexpected things change massively .... some quirks of the game will never change, the only hope is to become aware of them ...

#8 FearThePaladin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 117 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:42 PM

Um donno... Having worked at a little software company that as far as I know still owns the rights to MechWarrior am pretty certain that two lines of code is a simple change. Testing that is another story.. But thanks NARC BAIT... nothing like a little condescension when getting a reply. I said a change to two lines of code not testing.

This is one of those logical changes that you build into an update with proper testing. The video clearly demonstrates the need for an update. 600 points of damage to get through the CT? Show me a single mech in the MW universe that has 600 points of CT.

You speak of unintended consequences well in this case the code that was written for a RPG from the 80's needs to reflect a change.

I have done the work for you, showed it was repeatable and showed clearly that it makes the game behavior bad. You can make the change or not. Its up to you but because it can fundamentally alter game play experience in a negative way, you should consider a solution to the behavior.

Yea... I worked at Microsoft and I worked on one of the product teams. So you can tell me the quality of software engineers that I worked with. Next time just take the video... throw it into the bug database or dcr database where ever PGI drops them and say thanks... we will look into it...

I get it... you write code and so do about 5 million other people. You don't need to be condescending when people point out a significant issue to you.

#9 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 23 January 2018 - 02:58 PM

On the transference of damage while hitting a "destroyed" section is that there are still bits and pieces of it still left, reducing the incoming damage. And Microsoft versions would have been PVE with some multiplayer aspects but was not a purely PVP environment.

Except for keeping a destroyed leg visible, their damage transference is one of the setups I actually do not have a problem with, as it is supposed to be a thinking man's game, TWIST BABY TWIST, make the enemy burn through ammo and build up heat while taking damage that would have been meant for other teammates.

#10 FearThePaladin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 117 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:20 PM

I do not have a problem with some residuals. My point is that to take 600 points of damage to get through to the CT is more than full armor on 4 or 5 mechs CTs. This is not some residual armor but like having 5 atlas's sitting on your left or right CT absorbing damage.

Its bad playability.

I am done with the thread. I really had hoped to bring a design flaw to the attention of PGI but with the reception that I have gotten. I will keep further issues to myself. I do not mind a good discussion such as twist and turn but I do mind the way it was handled.

I want to improve the experience for the players...

Whatever.. good luck PGI...

#11 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:39 PM

well, if you really want pgi's attention ... you probably shouldnt bother with these forums, as they dont tend to ... either bug them on twitter, or page them on reddit .... I guess you could email them ... but ... you wont get much movement there either ...

#12 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 03:28 AM

The same happens when shooting thru destroyed legs i believe

at least with srms

#13 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 January 2018 - 06:28 AM

legs are even worse ... generally, if you put damage into a destroyed leg, it transfers to the ST above it ... not the CT ... and if thats a zombie mech, you could spend forever shooting without result ...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users