Ive Officially Abandoned The Bl.

51 replies to this topic

#1 InvictusLee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:50 PM

I got a refund on my black lanner pre-order. You probably should too.
I just cant justify paying real money for a mech that is gonna be useless in scouting.
Im all for lasers and machine guns. So ill pick it up later.

That said.
I DID take that same $20, and put it down on the Fafnir. It looks like its gonna be a good time.
So at the end of the day PGI still got my money, but atleast i dont feel bad about it.

#2 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:53 PM

View PostNovember11th, on 22 January 2018 - 01:50 PM, said:

I just cant justify paying real money for a mech that is gonna be useless in scouting.

Good for y...

I DID take that same $20, and put it down on the Fafnir.

Wait, what?

#3 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:55 PM

View PostBombast, on 22 January 2018 - 01:53 PM, said:

Good for y...

Wait, what?

When you think the sky is falling because of an insignificant balance change...

And then the numbers mean you abandon your own argument / thread.

Well....

Edited by justcallme A S H, 22 January 2018 - 01:55 PM.

#4 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:56 PM

Good for y...

Wait, what?

The Fafnir is the greatest scouting mech in all of the Inner Sphere. Didn't you get your Steiner-approved memo?

#5 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:56 PM

But even if PGI upped the scouting tonnage for Clan back to 55, would folks really be that interested in The Black Lanner for scouting or would they just go back to the Storm Crow? I mean, really the thing doesn't look like its going to be nearly the brawler that the Crow is (maybe the C)?

I'm all for holding PGI's feet to the fire on silly things, but this one seems like a bit of a case of marching for the wrong cause.

#6 Angus McFife VI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 433 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:00 PM

Good for y...

Wait, what?

He's gonna scout in the Fafnir, duh. Ever hear of Lyran scouting? Search and destroy ya know.

Edited by Dont LRM me please, 22 January 2018 - 02:01 PM.

#7 N0ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:08 PM

It's pretty much a 55 ton Shadowcat with more hardpoints, but less tonnage to even use those hardpoints because of the engine. Best off waiting for C-Bills imo.

#8 Seranov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:10 PM

Unless it has absolutely ridiculous quirks, both offensive and defensive, the Black Lanner is going to be terrible in every mode, not just Scouting (even if they allowed 55 ton Clan mechs in Scouting). This is absolutely a mech which will need to be absurdly overquirked in order for it to not be a slow light mech with a bit more armor than usual.

#9 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:24 PM

I suppose if that's the only reason you purchased it for. Then it makes sense. But everyone else should be well aware of what they're paying for.

#10 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:31 PM

View PostN0ni, on 22 January 2018 - 02:08 PM, said:

It's pretty much a 55 ton Shadowcat with more hardpoints, but less tonnage to even use those hardpoints because of the engine. Best off waiting for C-Bills imo.

Yeah just like the crappy over engined Linebacker with medium mech firepower but worse right?

Seriously though, go to the store and look at the Lanner's available hardpoints. It has something the Shadow Cat doesn't have (which is one of my most favourite mechs). It will have the ability to boat a lot of the most weight efficient weapons tonnage wise in the game: energy. 8 energy and ecm is available straight away to anyone who has a standard pack.

If the art is any indication, unlike the recent Thantos or Uziel, the hit boxes don't look like they will be that bad other than sharing what I am going to take an educated guess at, which is a nose like the Ebon Jag. It looks like it will be all ct type mech and the torso's look like they are going to be smallish. I hated the Ebon at first until I learned to wiggle instead of full on twist.

Either way I respect your decision and until it actually drops, we won't know for sure. Still I am excited and think that I personally will be able to get a lot out of this mech but then again I am someone who loves his Uziels and finds it easier to get an average damage of 500 in a Shadow Cat than in pretty much any assault.

#11 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:37 PM

I wouldn't be so quick to write it off. The Black Lanner is overengined, yes... but it also has plenty of energy and missile hardpoints, which means that it can mount decent striker builds in its limited podspace. Heavy ballistics are going to be right out the window, of course, but... look at the pods it gets (just the best of the bunch, mind):

ECM or 1xE head
6xE, 1xM, or 3xB LA
1xE+1xM LT
MASC CT
1xM RT
3xB, 2xE+2xB, 3xE, or 1xM RA

There's enough podspace to do substantial laser+SRM combos topping 50 damage alphas with MGs for critting and ECM, it can pace light 'Mechs, all of its mounts are at or near cockpit level, it has very little locked hardware for an Omnimech (just the MASC and some armor/structure slots), and it has a squashed-down torso which means minimal peek exposure.

So... you can absolutely work with that. It's going to be pretty damned decent.

Edited by WrathOfDeadguy, 22 January 2018 - 02:45 PM.

#12 InvictusLee

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:49 PM

View PostN0ni, on 22 January 2018 - 02:08 PM, said:

View PostMechaBattler, on 22 January 2018 - 02:24 PM, said:

I suppose if that's the only reason you purchased it for. Then it makes sense. But everyone else should be well aware of what they're paying for.

View PostBud Crue, on 22 January 2018 - 01:56 PM, said:

But even if PGI upped the scouting tonnage for Clan back to 55, would folks really be that interested in The Black Lanner for scouting or would they just go back to the Storm Crow? I mean, really the thing doesn't look like its going to be nearly the brawler that the Crow is (maybe the C)?

I'm all for holding PGI's feet to the fire on silly things, but this one seems like a bit of a case of marching for the wrong cause.
Man, I was really hyped for the BL!

View PostDont LRM me please, on 22 January 2018 - 02:00 PM, said:

He's gonna scout in the Fafnir, duh. Ever hear of Lyran scouting? Search and destroy ya know.
Absolutely!

Actually I just wanted a heavier mech. I was debating between the Fafnir and the NC but i already have mechs that'll do the same stuff the NC will do and i dont own an anni so, that seemed like the logical choice.

#13 N0ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:22 PM

View Posttker 669, on 22 January 2018 - 02:31 PM, said:

Yeah just like the crappy over engined Linebacker with medium mech firepower but worse right?

Seriously though, go to the store and look at the Lanner's available hardpoints. It has something the Shadow Cat doesn't have (which is one of my most favourite mechs). It will have the ability to boat a lot of the most weight efficient weapons tonnage wise in the game: energy. 8 energy and ecm is available straight away to anyone who has a standard pack.

Linebacker has been my third favorite clan heavy for a couple decades now, MWO doesn't change that since it's agile and has plenty of pod space to accommodate the hardpoints in the pods.

The problem with the Black Lanner is that we already have mediums that do what it can do better, so what does this chassis actually bring to the table? 12 tons of pod space (after shaving off around 25 points of armor) is not exactly enticing in a 55 ton mech.

#14 InvictusLee

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:25 PM

Exactly why i have stormcrows.

#15 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:29 PM

View PostN0ni, on 22 January 2018 - 03:22 PM, said:

Linebacker has been my third favorite clan heavy for a couple decades now, MWO doesn't change that since it's agile and has plenty of pod space to accommodate the hardpoints in the pods.

The problem with the Black Lanner is that we already have mediums that do what it can do better, so what does this chassis actually bring to the table? 12 tons of pod space (after shaving off around 25 points of armor) is not exactly enticing in a 55 ton mech.

Speed I guess? I mean it is going to be one of the fastest mediums in the game.... Still It's pretty sad when a 55t mech (Black Lanner) has less pod space than a 40t mech (Coyotl), when that 40t mech has the same base speed (7/11) and the same amount of armour stock....

#16 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:38 PM

View PostN0ni, on 22 January 2018 - 03:22 PM, said:

Which 55 ton Clan mech can 120 with bursts up to around 145ish I think with high mounts and ecm?

I must have missed it but boy do I want one, then I won't have to buy the Lanner....

You're right though, what would I do with twelve tons other than a heavy large with five mediums and whatever extra heatsinks I throw in.... or two heavy large and six mg's like my Shadow Cat but faster with more armor. A mix of 5 medpulse and four mg's might be interestesting as well.

So, no there isn't a mech right now that can do everything it can do. I love Storm Crows and it will most likely always be stronger. The Lanner however is very different and interesting at 55 tons. Just as the Viper and Arctic Wolf have very different roles at the same weight.

#17 CuriousCabbitBlue

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 228 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:16 PM

you know you watch too much anime an stuff when you hear BL and think boy love

#18 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:20 PM

lmao they just moved the scouting cap up to 55 tons for clans

#19 The Lighthouse

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:24 PM

View Postpattonesque, on 22 January 2018 - 06:20 PM, said:

lmao they just moved the scouting cap up to 55 tons for clans

Yeah, such irony.

Though you really should not use Black Lanner on Scouting anyway...

#20 Trenchbird

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:38 PM

You aren't fooling me, OP. I know you're just trying to get me to buy a Fafnir for that juicy Rear Armor.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users