28 replies to this topic

#1 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 January 2018 - 06:57 PM

Obviously Mechs stand out on the battlefield but the way you paint your mech can certainly affect how much fire you draw and when the enemy doesn't have locks even just a little bit can help.

With that said, which colors and patterns do you think would make you the least noticeable? Personally I like camo dark green, camo black & camo dark tan. I'm thinking camo grey would also be pretty good.

I'm not sure that it's possible but maybe there would be a good universal camo setup?

#2 Devil Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:02 PM

Burning Orange and Golden Yellow... stand out and no-one shots you... it's something everyone notes to me...

#3 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:05 PM

There's a grey that turns you essentially invisible on HPG, can't remember which one. It renders you really, really hard to see on most of the dark maps (Plexus, night Forrest, etc).

Edited by Bombast, 25 January 2018 - 07:42 PM.

#4 Mister Glitchdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 431 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:06 PM

My MAD-IIC looks awesome in Buccaneer camo with Basic Green and Camo Black. It's muted enough that, at a distance, it looks stock. Close in you get to see the custom skin and, even closer, there's a special message just for you...

Posted Image

#5 TELEFORCE

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:16 PM

Well-chosen camouflage works in the game, especially if sensors cannot ID you. Like in real life, camouflage is not meant to make you invisible, but to instead disguise your profile in order to make it difficult to discern, at a distance, what kind of target you are. For an example, a Kodiak can be easily mistaken for an Atlas or a Banshee from a distance, especially if its profile lines are muddled against its backdrop.

Edited by TELEFORCE, 25 January 2018 - 07:16 PM.

#6 Trenchbird

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:17 PM

View PostMister Glitchdragon, on 25 January 2018 - 07:06 PM, said:

My MAD-IIC looks awesome in Buccaneer camo with Basic Green and Camo Black. It's muted enough that, at a distance, it looks stock. Close in you get to see the custom skin and, even closer, there's a special message just for you...

I think 'Adios' and being closer would fit the Scorch when it's built properly (2XLB20X+4XSRM6A, none of that LRM/ATM garbage).

Edited by Catten Hart, 25 January 2018 - 07:17 PM.

#7 Kubernetes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:18 PM

Camo only matters in FW because otherwise you’re at the mercy of the chosen map.

#8 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:22 PM

I tend to use the camo blue family a lot, sometimes I mix in Ghost Bear grey / white as well as Smoke Jaguar grey...

#9 RoadblockXL

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 133 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:12 PM

Best camo paint, Smoke Jaguar Black.

It's really more of a dark brown than a black and it's much darker than Camo Dark Tan.

It blends in well with the earth textures and shadows found on most maps.

#10 HauptmanT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 378 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:15 PM

Unfortunately, you cant count on camo in this game... like at all.

The best HPG camo, will make you stand out like a sore thumb in Polar Lurmlands...

Since the maps are so random, it's a shot in the dark... however.

Dark grey is good in a lot of places. I have 2 basic color schemes, based on wartime germany's colors. IS gets the dark grey (early war) and clan gets the dark yellow with red/brown and green camo.

I get shot a lot more in the clan mechs. The grey, just works better more often.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by HauptmanT, 25 January 2018 - 08:16 PM.

#11 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,575 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:16 PM

Titanium Com Guard White works great on Frozen City and Polar Highlands...

#12 HauptmanT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 378 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:32 PM

Should note though... I painted my squirrels bright orange.

Works wondefully. People will chase me all over the map.

#13 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 09:36 AM

File under "things that would be really nice", being able to pick your paint before a drop from a few premade settings. But we can't have nice things. :P

#14 RustyBolts

• The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 09:40 AM

cammo does not mean crap in this game, except maybe the Ghillie. However, since we cannot change our mechs post launch in QP, your cammo will most likely be the opposite of what is needed. Couple that with the fact that almost all cammo becomes useless since the further you get away, all mechs start to look black. Even if you have an all white mech on Polar Highlands, they still show up as black at a distance. Bad programing? Or working as intended? Not sure.

#15 Luminis

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 January 2018 - 09:58 AM

If you want to minimize incoming fire: No paint pattern, basic green. Bamboozling > blending in.

Everything else is too dependant on the map. Whatever hides you well on Grim Plexus, HPG and Mining Colony will make you pop out hike hell on Polar Highlands and Frozen City. In my personal experience, it didn't really matter, though. The sort of player that overlooks you because of your camo or ignores you because you look like a new player can be dealt with without such trickery and those you want an edge against won't fall for it.

Hence why I'd rather look fancy than be sneaky, y'know?

Edited by Luminis, 26 January 2018 - 09:59 AM.

#16 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:02 AM

View PostLuminis, on 26 January 2018 - 09:58 AM, said:

If you want to minimize incoming fire: No paint pattern, basic green. Bamboozling > blending in.

Everything else is too dependant on the map. Whatever hides you well on Grim Plexus, HPG and Mining Colony will make you pop out hike hell on Polar Highlands and Frozen City. In my personal experience, it didn't really matter, though. The sort of player that overlooks you because of your camo or ignores you because you look like a new player can be dealt with without such trickery and those you want an edge against won't fall for it.

Hence why I'd rather look fancy than be sneaky, y'know?

Well I have experienced being targeted more in brightly colored mechs. I do agree the benefit is small but noticable even with decent players.

#17 Alkabides

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 217 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:09 AM

Black camo and wolf browns I have noted help. Time of day also lends to better camo usage.

#18 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:13 AM

I'm pretty sure your 'mechs paint job doesn't even render at sniping distance. I have never noticed a 'mechs color when they are sniping at me and have always been able to pick out their sillouhette easily. Personally I've never noticed a 'mech that had camo that actually works unless that 'mech was using stealth armor. Barring stealth armor, if they are out of sensor range then I don't see their camo, I just see a monotone sillouhette. If they are close enough that I can actually see their paintjob, I have a dorito even if I'm under enemy ECM. Sometimes I have trouble picking out silhouettes on HPG because of the monotone color of the entire map. So I usually flip on thermal on that map and it serves me well, rendering camoflauge useless. I used to try and paint my 'mechs in a manner that would reduce how easily I would be spotted. Then I started feeling like it was really pointless in MWO and just started doing stuff that I thought looks cool and I don't feel like I get shot at any more or less than I did before.

#19 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 11:01 AM

View PostLuminis, on 26 January 2018 - 09:58 AM, said:

I tend to focus on people who look like that, as it's commonly a newer player and hence an easier target. Grey/black jobs tend to be people trying to minmax their visibility, and fancy paint jobs are someone who at least enjoys the game enough to dress up for games.

Unless it's a meme paint job. Kill first, with extreme prejudice. De wey is Ebola, but I'm a higher mortality rate.

#20 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:11 PM

ITT: People who sort target priority by colours lol.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users