Light Gauss Buff Feedback

LRG feedback

3 replies to this topic

#1 Cyrilis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • 762 posts
  • LocationRas Alhague Insane Asylum, most of the time in the pen where they lock up the Urbie pilots

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:11 AM

Hi all,

now tht the light gauss finally got some love, I got some of them out of the shelf and I must admit: they are really fun now. Not very much effective in terms of damage output, but very much fun.

Now I was thinking if we could probably have the maximum of LGR that can be charged at the same time raised to 3. Although that would be a quite nast 24 PP longrang option, I still consider it a niche as not too much 'Mechs can load 3 LRG.

I do not think this would make the LGR overperform as:
- In overall DMG/ton and slot values 2 CGauss / 2Gauss are still better performing.
- 2 ERPPC do "only" 20 PP damage for only 14 tons and 6 crits but at the cost of heat
- 3AC10 combo still has a far highrer damage output

#2 tokumboh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 320 posts
  • LocationBristol UK

Posted 27 January 2018 - 07:59 AM

I have dual light gauss on a WHM-6R and I have to admit normally on Polar Highlands I am stuck since I normally have a dual LBX-10 build with 4 ER-Med but swapping out the LBX with LGR seems to make me useful in the early game and allows a little brawling late game. so for me it is a lot better. Is it as good as UAC-10? I'd say not but for places like Frozen City and Polar Highlands where you get into the long range poking game, I don't cower under cover waiting for someone to get close. I actually played Polar Highlands in a loss and got 700 damage

I would say I'd even take the build into FP, I agree the two charge up limit is rubbish and unnecessary and doesn't make sense considering that at normal 300-500 range LGR offers no advantage whatsoever. If anything feel it is under ranged fro 8 damage and the weight it is.

So I would go with the three charge for LGRs and I'd increase optimal range a tad too however having just played a few games it is definitely more usable.

#3 Alexandra Hekmatyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Marshal
  • Marshal
  • 774 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 27 January 2018 - 10:35 AM

I have been illuminated and now use Light Gauss instead of Gauss.

#4 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 18 February 2018 - 03:52 PM

I tested them today using 2xLight Gauss paired with 2x ERLarge Lasers and I have to say they are substandard damage for the weight cost. I switched to 1x Gauss Rifle and 3xER Large and the Light Gauss could not compete at all with those results.

It's a misconception to think that a faster recycle is going to fix the problem because once you start skilling up the mech the standard Gauss gets much larger recycle speed buffs and soon comes close to the Light Gauss, close enough that it becomes inconsequential in combat.

Then you have the real issue of why a weapon that only does 8 damage needs the Gauss charge-up nerf. Drop the charge-up entirely and you might have a good balanced 8 damage weapon. Keep the charge-up and you have to give the Light Gauss 10 damage to justify the weight and the added difficulty.

But, really, isn't it just thoughtless adherence to a nerf that never did what it was supposed to, to apply the charge-up to a 12 ton weapon that only does 8 damage? In the end you had to make a new ghost nerf to classify Gauss Rifles with PPCs. BattleTech states all Gauss are always in a charged state anyway so removing the charge-up from Light Gauss would be the correct thing to do as far as lore and TT rules are concerned.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users