31 replies to this topic

#21 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:48 PM

yep LRM just takes a little thought and common sense. not sure where all the hate in the Meta crowd comes from. i'v seen completely worthless players running the Meta of the day just as often as I see derpy LRMers.

#22 Kubernetes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 04:50 PM

View PostPain G0D, on 28 January 2018 - 03:46 PM, said:

Sad fact is everyone here lover or hater has been crippled and destroyed by lurms .

So what? I've been killed by flamers too. I've died from fall damage. Shoot, I've died more from overheat than I have from LRMs.

It's indisputable that LRMs are bad weapons compared to everything else unless they're brought to particular maps/modes with Narc/Tag support.

Here's a clue: LRMs are hated far more by teammates than by opponents.

#23 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 02 February 2018 - 05:05 PM

View PostVeeOt Dragon, on 28 January 2018 - 06:48 PM, said:

yep LRM just takes a little thought and common sense. not sure where all the hate in the Meta crowd comes from. i'v seen completely worthless players running the Meta of the day just as often as I see derpy LRMers.

Its because honestly, derpy lurmers stand out much more and it is easy to assume they are lazy and/selfish if they done move with the team, share armor, beg/demand locks.

Sometimes it seems like they are the first person in the game to slap 60+ tubes on a slow mech w/ no backup weapons.

One could argue that a player that is derpy in a gauss/ppc poptart is at least trying... they be even less effective atm, but there is a lot more upside if they acquire the skill to use them. LRM's can be used in a quasi-skilled manner, but at least to me, there feels like there is a ceiling to there novelty. I'll bust out a boat occasionally, it gets old fast, then it gets mothballed...

#24 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 02 February 2018 - 05:41 PM

There are times when running LRMs, I come back to the same thing. There are some people (one's that went through the LRM aggedon) that know how to move and reduce LRMs to nothing. Then there are others, that never really learned how to move under concealment and cover from LRMs.

So, LRMs are the most screamed at type of weapons, most nerfed. Sure they are easy to just get locks at 800 m and fire. But most effective under 300 m and a lot more fun to run that way.

#25 Tier5ForLife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 481 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 06:37 PM

It was semi going OK until he talked about "dribble 5's" being so dangerous and that the Clan like to use LAMS etc.

I do not know of anyone that uses a LAMS and I stopped using dribble 5's after the new skill tree and it seemed like everyone was carrying AMS.

When preplanned, there can be a use for indirect fire support. But I never shot less than 30-40 LRMs at one time.

Right now I'm skilling up the free Stalker (I love the ECM) and it is a LRMer. I've done 600 damage a few times and gotten a few kills but even in Tier 3 it is not dangerous. And I had to cut the size of my launchers to carry enough back up lasers. A number of times I've been killed by enemy mechs who were able to close the distance. I do not ask anyone to find and hold locks, I carry a tag and I get my own.

I also know that a "held lock" is really a teammate of mine staring down and trading fire with this enemy mech. Which is one reason I send as many missiles as possible.

On the other hand, my KDK-3 is getting 3-5 kills and 7-900 damage in games and I'm not a good player.

There are a couple of maps where LRMs are close to useless. As far as the KDK-3, Polar is a ***** but workable.

#26 Tier5ForLife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 481 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 07:03 PM

NO ONE is getting my candy!

(You spelled Supine wrong btway)

Edited by LikeUntoBuddha, 02 February 2018 - 07:04 PM.

#27 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:12 PM

The fun part of LRMs, getting a Jenner IIc or an oxide, having a bunch of LRM 5's and trolling people at 200 to 300 m. sure you will not do that much damage at once, but the screen shake, and damage over time is worth is. Then chalking up another reason why people want to kill LRM boats as you scurry away.

#28 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 09 February 2018 - 06:27 AM

View PostLikeUntoBuddha, on 02 February 2018 - 06:37 PM, said:

I also know that a "held lock" is really a teammate of mine staring down and trading fire with this enemy mech. Which is one reason I send as many missiles as possible.

Bingo. If they're holding a lock, they're staring at an enemy, which they really shouldn't do so they can spread damage. A good player may unpredictably break locks to avoid getting cored out, so your LRM's launched from 500+ meters away are probably not gonna do much good. As you've noticed, a ballistics boat played well can do a lot better than a LRM boat played well.

#29 DarkFhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 401 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 05:38 AM

So solly to blow you and your theories to bits , lurm hater dudes .

My Lurm boat Timberwolf has dished out 1000 plus damage on multiple different maps not just polar highlands .
My Lurm Catapult has done 700 plus damage .
A bit of advice , rush me asap or you are dead meat .

To my Lurm Lover Brothers , I say Artemis and maxed damage skill tree is must have . Dont only play Lurms only have some lasers too . Sooner of later you are going to run out of ammo , then you charge in and go nutz. A quarter of that 1000 damage will be your secondary guns .

Dont spread the damage , stick to one mech till he dies . If he goes off target wait a bit . You are support help your friends , shoot the mech that brawler buddies are attacking . Stay with the herd preferably in the middle , share your armour , you will get ganked if you stay far at the back .

Edited by DarkFhoenix, 24 February 2018 - 05:39 AM.

#30 Jaspbo1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 232 posts
  • LocationWoah

Posted 24 February 2018 - 05:51 AM

My issue with LRMs is with Assault 'mechs boating them. Yeah they might crack out a lot of damage, but Assaults have armour for a good reason. Not to just block the occasional AC2 round that manages to hit them at a range of 800m, or to stop ankle biters from legging them. It's there to allow the team to take advantage of during pushes. LRM boats don't really tank since they're not front liners. I can understand this on lighter 'mechs. But when you're 85+ tons (Let's face it, 80ts aren't boating anything other than lasers or MRMs) it's really a waste of tonnage. Especially when the matchmaker lobs you in with two LRM assaults against 5 actual Assaults with higher alpha and close range builds.

Don't get me wrong, not much of an issue with Assault boys having an LRM to pepper enemies whilst they close in with bigger guns, but boating...

Friends don't let friends assault LRM boat.

Edited by Jaspbo1, 24 February 2018 - 05:55 AM.

#31 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:07 AM

View PostDarkFhoenix, on 24 February 2018 - 05:38 AM, said:

So solly to blow you and your theories to bits , lurm hater dudes .

My Lurm boat Timberwolf has dished out 1000 plus damage on multiple different maps not just polar highlands .
My Lurm Catapult has done 700 plus damage .
A bit of advice , rush me asap or you are dead meat .

To my Lurm Lover Brothers , I say Artemis and maxed damage skill tree is must have . Dont only play Lurms only have some lasers too . Sooner of later you are going to run out of ammo , then you charge in and go nutz. A quarter of that 1000 damage will be your secondary guns .

Dont spread the damage , stick to one mech till he dies . If he goes off target wait a bit . You are support help your friends , shoot the mech that brawler buddies are attacking . Stay with the herd preferably in the middle , share your armour , you will get ganked if you stay far at the back .

Pretty sure the Lurmers peeps complain about are the ones that think "backup weapons" = moar lurmz

Seriously, you just explained most all the things that many lurms *DON'T* do. If they did, there would not be such hate.

#32 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 04:42 PM

View PostDarkFhoenix, on 24 February 2018 - 05:38 AM, said:

stuff

https://leaderboard....h?u=DarkFhoenix

Yeah, okay.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users