Zombie Builds

18 replies to this topic

#1 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:04 PM

Baradul sometimes likes to build these - mechs with a standard engine that can keep shooting even with both STs gone.

I have tried some zombie builds (especially on my Roughneck), and except for my Crab, it seems like they always get the CT shot off first.
Am I just doing a bad job spreading the damage? Or do they lose value at the T2/T1 level because everyone can aim so well?

#2 Commodore Perspicuous

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 103 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:42 PM

Probably need to work on your damage spreading. Generally the most efficient way to down a mech is to just aim CT, so the only way to keep them from hitting your CT is movement, including torso twisting. If you keep getting cored out, start paying attention to how well you twist away (such as after you shot is fired or burn is done and do you prioritize less damaged areas of your own mech to take new damage) and to your trading. Are you exposing your mech too long when you trade? Those are the things I have been working on, anyway.

#3 SilentScreamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 556 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:50 PM

View PostJonathan8883, on 03 January 2018 - 06:04 PM, said:

Baradul sometimes likes to build these - mechs with a standard engine that can keep shooting even with both STs gone.

I have tried some zombie builds (especially on my Roughneck), and except for my Crab, it seems like they always get the CT shot off first.
Am I just doing a bad job spreading the damage? Or do they lose value at the T2/T1 level because everyone can aim so well?

Remember T2 and T1 pilots are likely to have more matches under their belts. Likely, they hold their fire till they can line-up your CT rather than AlphaStrike the second they see a single pixel to shoot at. Not all pilots in T1 and T2 have good firing discipline, but enough do as you have taken notice.

#4 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:32 PM

Still sporting a STD for my Misery and Banshee 3M, FEAR THE MED LASER OF DOOM!

#5 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:31 PM

It's too bad we didn't get small cockpits and compact gyros. Imagine fitting a snub PPC in the head and heavy PPC in the CT? :3

#6 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:48 PM

AS7-K with H-Gauss, MRM 30 and CT SN-PPC.Posted Image

#7 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:50 PM

Generally speaking, Zombie builds are over-rated, this is doubly so, since the addition of the cXL and LFE engines. This is due to the lost speed, fire power and cooling ability due to weight taken up by a standard engine.

#8 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:57 PM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 04 January 2018 - 02:48 PM, said:

AS7-K with H-Gauss, MRM 30 and CT SN-PPC.Posted Image

I'd rather take a 360 LFE, UAC/20, MRM40 and a pair of isERML.... Get there faster, hit harder and run cooler....

#9 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 06 January 2018 - 02:20 AM

The Fafnir 5, 5B, and WR are going to be MPL zombie builds by default. (the others should all get an LFE from the start)

#10 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 04:11 AM

Zombie builds haven't really been relevant since like 2013.

The only one that really doesn't lose much due to running an STD engine would be the Crab with 2 energy points in the CT and one in the head so you can run 5 MPLs and lose both torsos and still have the majority of your firepower. Its hitboxes are very good at shielding the CT from damage.

However most people just circumvent this entirely by just legging mechs that have hitboxes that spread damage very well. Crab legs aren't too hard to hit, same with the Stalkers that so many people run STD engines in.

With the Roughneck its a broad mech so people will just shoot and hit the section they wanted to, especially people who use frontloaded damage. It has some good defensive quirks, would probably best be run with an LFE engine rather than STD and just make use of its potential firepower.

#11 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:36 PM

Thanks for the input.
Time to start saving my space-bucks.

#12 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:54 PM

Well... the difference in durability between STD and LFE is actually negligible. It is literally one HP- the last hitpoint on your surviving side torso after already losing one. Because there are no proper engine crits, the remaining side functions (engine wise) as though it were at 100% HP until it goes pop at 0.

So, if you tank with your destroyed side for the damage transfer reduction to the CT, and then spread evenly when your CT and remaining side are at roughly equal HP, you can last just as long under fire with LFE as with STD.

Which leaves zombies, unfortunately, as a bit of a gimmick- the chief benefit in them was to keep as many weapons as possible firing as long as possible until death. LFE can last just about as long with good damage spreading habits, but with more weapons. The only real benefit to running STD over LFE is if you either don't have enough slots (ST weapons require too many; 4x3slot for quad SRM6A, 2x6 for dual LB10X, 11 for HGR or LB20X) or you're planning your build around a deadside, and want to avoid the penalties for losing a side with LFE. Otherwise, you will get far more out of a few more tons or a few more KPH than you will out of the one additional point of damage you can tank with a STD.

#13 ramp4ge

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 243 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:44 PM

I was running a STD in my Nightstar last night, lost both side torsos and all I had left was a single ERML. And got 2 kills with it. It was kinda' hilarious and kinda' sad at the same time.

#14 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:25 PM

I used to love Zombie builds but now with LFEs my builds are faster and pack more firepower and live longer than XL builds( unless they are Clan).

#15 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:26 AM

It depends. Some games in T1, nobody has more than 400 damage on either team. This is because they can aim, and also probably because there wasn't much torso twisting.

Zombie builds are, sadly, not really good any more. DPS is so high currently that no one typically survives for long after losing a side torso.

Be careful taking advice from Baradul. I dropped with him twice recently and outscored him pretty fiercely. He's not that great.

#16 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:39 AM

View PostWater Bear, on 12 February 2018 - 05:26 AM, said:

It depends. Some games in T1, nobody has more than 400 damage on either team. This is because they can aim, and also probably because there wasn't much torso twisting.

Zombie builds are, sadly, not really good any more. DPS is so high currently that no one typically survives for long after losing a side torso.

Be careful taking advice from Baradul. I dropped with him twice recently and outscored him pretty fiercely. He's not that great.

I sense a rivalry.

#17 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:45 AM

It may be that your zombie build is too obvious.

Are you using a meta zombie build? In tier 2 and tier 1, everyone knows what the meta is and how to kill it.

If they know exactly what you're using, you may as well wear signs that says "Shoot here to kill me" or "Steps to kill me."

#18 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:46 AM

View PostSpare Parts Bin, on 12 February 2018 - 05:39 AM, said:

I sense a rivalry.

I'm sure he doesn't know I exist. I just didn't want to look like crap with a famous streamer in game, so I tried to bring my A game.

#19 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:51 AM

View PostWater Bear, on 12 February 2018 - 05:46 AM, said:

I'm sure he doesn't know I exist. I just didn't want to look like crap with a famous streamer in game, so I tried to bring my A game.

Makes sense to me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users