7 replies to this topic

#1 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 31 January 2018 - 01:46 AM

Title: MWO crashes on startup

Description: MWO client crashes on startup - screen turns black for a moment, then it just crashes.

Reproduction Rate: 100%

Steps to Reproduce:
Start launcher via steam, brew coffee waiting for videos to play, log in.
Notice screen turning black followed by a crash shortly after.

Occurs since:
Today. I could play just fine yesterday before the hotfix.

LOG:
Spoiler

update:
After running the repair tool, erasing all settings & profiles, I'm able to get into the mech lab and played around on the training grounds. Will keep an eye on this.

update2:
Ok, running the repair tool indeed did it for me - I even get better framerates now.

This issue is resolved for me, maybe it can be closed.

Edited by Exilyth, 05 February 2018 - 07:06 PM.

#2 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 03 February 2018 - 03:58 AM

I hope you backed up all your screenshots before you wiped it all out? :(

~D. V. "No reason to lose all of that, I think?" Devnull

#3 RDECKARD NEXUS 6

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 07:55 AM

Hey DV,

Ludite question....the Client holds screenshot files?? I wasn't aware of that...hmmmm....where would those be cached?? I do take screen captures but im simply dropping them into another app and saving the file manually....any link to topic discussion or advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated...im still learning the ropes of this thing...

cheers,
MC

#4 Bolter01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bite
  • The Bite
  • 224 posts
  • LocationAU

Posted 03 February 2018 - 03:37 PM

since hotfix I am having constant dropouts (AU), even the MWO website at times fails to load when every other site & game is fine..?

#5 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 03 February 2018 - 07:59 PM

Actually, I am not sure if an uninstall wipes out the Saved Games folders. The pics, game settings, etc are located in the following location.

C:\Users\computer user name\Saved Games\MechWarrior Online

#6 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 03 February 2018 - 08:04 PM

View PostBolter01, on 03 February 2018 - 03:37 PM, said:

since hotfix I am having constant dropouts (AU), even the MWO website at times fails to load when every other site & game is fine..?

That generally means the path your signal takes to the primary server locations in Canada/NA has an issue. Even if you select the OC or EU servers that is only for the combat portion of the game, you would still have to keep a line to the base NA server. Since the forums are not flooded about it then it would not necessarily be in PGI neighborhood.

#7 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 03 February 2018 - 10:19 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 03 February 2018 - 03:58 AM, said:

I hope you backed up all your screenshots before you wiped it all out? Posted Image

~D. V. "No reason to lose all of that, I think?" Devnull

View PostRDECKARD NEXUS 6, on 03 February 2018 - 07:55 AM, said:

Hey DV,

Ludite question....the Client holds screenshot files?? I wasn't aware of that...hmmmm....where would those be cached?? I do take screen captures but im simply dropping them into another app and saving the file manually....any link to topic discussion or advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated...im still learning the ropes of this thing...

cheers,
MC

View PostTarl Cabot, on 03 February 2018 - 07:59 PM, said:

Actually, I am not sure if an uninstall wipes out the Saved Games folders. The pics, game settings, etc are located in the following location.

C:\Users\computer user name\Saved Games\MechWarrior Online

More specifcally...

C:\Users\<Your Windows User Name>\Saved Games/MechWarrior Online\Screenshots

...and while MWO holds Screenshots in that particular directory, I have seen both 'uninstallers' & 'repair tools' for game clients for some games take out your local data with them. Worse thing is, they do it mercilessly, without option to tell them to leave that data alone. I can't remember at the moment either what all that MWO's Repair Tool touches if you tell it to 'wipe out all settings and profiles', sadly. But, I had asked Exilyth the question that I did because I wouldn't want someone to accidentally kill more than they were trying to. Obviously, if they were trying to wipe everything, and they didn't care about something like screenshots, then my question is made moot. :huh:

~D. V. "I totally did NOT expect this thread to take this twist." Devnull

#8 Bolter01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bite
  • The Bite
  • 224 posts
  • LocationAU

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:19 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 03 February 2018 - 08:04 PM, said:

That generally means the path your signal takes to the primary server locations in Canada/NA has an issue. Even if you select the OC or EU servers that is only for the combat portion of the game, you would still have to keep a line to the base NA server. Since the forums are not flooded about it then it would not necessarily be in PGI neighborhood.

Thanks, funny cause at the same time, since the Hotfix, my AU ping has halved to 100-120ms.

wait and see Im sure it will reslove itself

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users