#41 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:21 AM

View PostSpare Parts Bin, on 05 February 2018 - 03:48 PM, said:

I don't know what to say standard engines are too heavy. XL engines lose weight but you die if you lose a torso. So how can you not use LFEs?

I still run XL on many of my builds.

If you die to often...

1. You stare too long.
2. You do not torso twist.

They are literally the only two reasons to die constantly from IS XL

#42 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:20 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 06 February 2018 - 02:21 AM, said:

If you die to often...

1. You stare too long.

I'd add this one:

Bad luck

I've had XL mechs come around a corner, get one shorted because I didn't know someone was around there with a high alpha FLD build.

#43 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:49 PM

There is no real luck. If you are going to walk around a blind corner without torso twisting or leading with an arm... That is #2 right there. Go in twisted...

#44 _SpiderGoat

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:07 PM

2 C LPL 5 C ERM
I personally use 2x6 but this will help with heat for a newer player with an additional dead arm to learn to twist/position with.

If he likes Gauss

1 CG 5 C ERM
I personally do 1x7 but again this will help a new player with heat and gives a dead arm.

I agree with Ash on the HBR - ECM for a new player can teach you bad habbits and poor positioning. No ECM = forced to learn survival without any sort of crutch, until you delve into the sensor tree.

Edited by mcCosmoat, 07 February 2018 - 12:10 PM.

#45 Feezou

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:42 AM

View PostmcCosmoat, on 07 February 2018 - 12:07 PM, said:

2 C LPL 5 C ERM
I personally use 2x6 but this will help with heat for a newer player with an additional dead arm to learn to twist/position with.

If he likes Gauss

1 CG 5 C ERM
I personally do 1x7 but again this will help a new player with heat and gives a dead arm.

I agree with Ash on the HBR - ECM for a new player can teach you bad habbits and poor positioning. No ECM = forced to learn survival without any sort of crutch, until you delve into the sensor tree.

That's true, even though I heard that a 6ERML HBR with an ECM is a good beginner mech.

#46 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:56 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 06 February 2018 - 02:21 AM, said:

If you die to often...
1. You stare too long.
Yeah, but that's also why new players should run STD or LFE instead of XL on their IS mechs: they get to survive that mistake and learn from experience.

#47 Spare Parts Bin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:53 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 06 February 2018 - 07:20 AM, said:

I'd add this one:

Bad luck

I've had XL mechs come around a corner, get one shorted because I didn't know someone was around there with a high alpha FLD build.

View PostHorseman, on 08 February 2018 - 09:56 AM, said:

Yeah, but that's also why new players should run STD or LFE instead of XL on their IS mechs: they get to survive that mistake and learn from experience.

I was part of a Domination mission on Grim Plexus. Reader's Digest version I got chewed up fighting through to the objective. Got three kills(2 Solo), 3 KMDD, 6 Component Destructions, 5 Kill Assists. I was down to one LPL, one ML, and a IS UAC-10.

#48 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 09 February 2018 - 07:57 AM

View PostSpare Parts Bin, on 08 February 2018 - 07:53 PM, said:

I was part of a Domination mission on Grim Plexus. Reader's Digest version I got chewed up fighting through to the objective. Got three kills(2 Solo), 3 KMDD, 6 Component Destructions, 5 Kill Assists. I was down to one LPL, one ML, and a IS UAC-10.

Great, what mech were you in?

#49 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 08:06 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 09 February 2018 - 07:57 AM, said:

Great, what mech were you in?

Stalker Misery.

A Linebacker decided to try to target me but did not appreciate LPL,Rocket Pod 20 and UAC-10 to the face.

#50 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,760 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 09 February 2018 - 08:32 AM

View PostSpare Parts Bin, on 09 February 2018 - 08:06 AM, said:

Stalker Misery.

I like to run mine with 3xLL, 2xML, and an AC20.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#51 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 03:22 PM

View PostCFC Conky, on 09 February 2018 - 08:32 AM, said:

I like to run mine with 3xLL, 2xML, and an AC20.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

I do like your build but my love for MRM10-30s, Rocket Pods forces me to fill the missle slot. Do do so requires me to run an UAC-5 or at most LBX-10. I wish there were 2 missle slots on the Misery for twin Rocket Pod 20 action.

#52 DaVinci761st

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:08 PM

View PostFeezou, on 31 January 2018 - 08:50 AM, said:

I have a friend who is starting to play MWO. He has tried all the trial mechs, and he says his favorite class is heavy mechs. He personally liked the Ebon Jaguar LPL Gauss trial mech. Even though he liked that mech, I think he might've wanted something a bit more balanced and maneuverable. What would be a mech with decent speed, firepower and armor that wouldn't punish him for bad positioning. I've heard that the Hunckback 4G is a good starter, but I don't know about how he'd do with an AC/20. Then again, he still likes the Ebon Jaguar, so I think he'll enjoy clan heavies.

I've only been playing a little over a couple of weeks so take my advice with a grain of salt, but I found the Hellbringer-Prime to be a new player friendly mech, especially in tier 5 QP getting started. While it is not the cheapest Mech, I've really enjoyed playing it. Very new player friendly as it forgives mistakes since it has the armor and structure, and it also has enough speed to get out of bad positioning while still learning the maps.

Plus, from what I've gleaned on the forums and reading on the net, the HBR is a popular mech in FP in the drop deck load outs if a player wants to play that mode on down the road.

But the HBR is similar to the Ebon Jaguar in speed; so, not sure if that fits the criteria for being more maneuverable and mobile.

Vxheous suggested a HBR-PRIME laser vomit build when I was deciding on my first mech and had went with the HBR. I have used it with much success, although, I tweaked his suggestion and kept the HBR-Prime head omnipod, link to my build: Davinci's HBR-PRIME.

The AMS comes in handy against all the LRM spam in tier 5 QP matches. I'll most likely drop the AMS and switch out the head to the A when I get past tier 5 and 4. I also kept the Prime right torso as it allows to mount 3 energy weapons; so, I have my right arm/torso as my shield side for torso twisting.

#53 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:51 AM

View PostDaVinci761st, on 10 February 2018 - 02:08 PM, said:

I've only been playing a little over a couple of weeks so take my advice with a grain of salt, but I found the Hellbringer-Prime to be a new player friendly mech, especially in tier 5 QP getting started. While it is not the cheapest Mech, I've really enjoyed playing it. Very new player friendly as it forgives mistakes since it has the armor and structure, and it also has enough speed to get out of bad positioning while still learning the maps.

Plus, from what I've gleaned on the forums and reading on the net, the HBR is a popular mech in FP in the drop deck load outs if a player wants to play that mode on down the road.

But the HBR is similar to the Ebon Jaguar in speed; so, not sure if that fits the criteria for being more maneuverable and mobile.

Vxheous suggested a HBR-PRIME laser vomit build when I was deciding on my first mech and had went with the HBR. I have used it with much success, although, I tweaked his suggestion and kept the HBR-Prime head omnipod, link to my build: Davinci's HBR-PRIME.

The AMS comes in handy against all the LRM spam in tier 5 QP matches. I'll most likely drop the AMS and switch out the head to the A when I get past tier 5 and 4. I also kept the Prime right torso as it allows to mount 3 energy weapons; so, I have my right arm/torso as my shield side for torso twisting.

Check out the Orion llC, while not Omnimechs they seem like good designs. I am currently playing the Hero Mech the Skoll intermittently.

#54 DaVinci761st

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:39 PM

View PostSpare Parts Bin, on 11 February 2018 - 03:51 AM, said:

Check out the Orion llC, while not Omnimechs they seem like good designs. I am currently playing the Hero Mech the Skoll intermittently.

I'll have to check out an Orion when I'm ready to look at getting my next mech. Just got a Zeus-9S in a supply cache and also got an Urbie K-9.

The Zeus is not the most new player mech, at least the 9S variant, especially going from the Hellbringer. The Urbie, though, is so much freaking fun to play.

#55 CommanderHunter5

• Pip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 08:50 AM

View PostBarkem Squirrel, on 31 January 2018 - 09:49 AM, said:

The Ebon Jag is a good mech, and with omni pod changes he can learn other ways to play to make him a better player. Normally we say start with shadow hawks or hunchbacks, but if he is comfortable with the Jag, it can work.

Just remember, even though he like the Ebon Jag, there are other mechs and other ways to play. Have him get good at what he likes, then play what he is not comfortable playing.

Why, to be able to do unto other as they do unto you.

That means pure laser vomit, pure dakka, LRM boat, SRM bombers, MRM builds, ATM builds.

Then being able to run lights, bouncy mediums, fast mediums and the assaults.

A good second mech for him is the maddog with LRM, ATM and SRM builds. Just for working outside the comfort zone. Learning to LRM will make you a better player on how to avoid LRMs to a point of not needing AMS or ECM to not be hit.

One thing to remember, there are mechs out there that will find him. It may take a while, but when that mech finds him, it will be like a well worn glove or an old friend. Me I have been lucky, with finding the Griffins, wolverines, maddogs and for some reason the Jenner Oxide.

I think the ‘Mech that found me was the Viper. Lovely ‘Mech.

But I sold it....for....some reason.

#56 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 09:19 PM

I've always maintained that the Centurion is the best beginner mech, followed by the Shadowhawk.

The Centurion literally teaches you how to torso twist properly by giving you immediate feedback on how well you are doing. If you manage to blow both arms off first, then go internal crit on all torso, blow off both sides, AND THEN die from CT, then you know you mastered torso twist.

If you didn't manage to do that, it's almost always because of player mistake. The geometry is just fantastic.

Other than that, it's a relatively cheap IS medium, so you don't blow all your cadet bonus on it kitting it out. And it goes relatively fast, so you can still get out if you position badly. And in the current meta, you can run really strong MRM brawl builds

The A, AL, and AH, are good choices. with the A variant giving chances to try out all the various types of weapon systems

#57 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 08:43 AM

https://mech.nav-alp...320f49f4_SHD-2K

I believe this here is a good starter mech.

#58 Achle

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 02:59 PM

I might be late to the party but I will agree with the Hellbringer. Good solid easy to use mech and less glass cannonish as far as clan mechs go.. I find the Inner sphere mechs are a less forgiving and take a bit more to set up...but when set up right and practiced they can wreck people

#59 Feezou

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:28 AM

View PostAchle, on 03 June 2019 - 02:59 PM, said:

I might be late to the party but I will agree with the Hellbringer. Good solid easy to use mech and less glass cannonish as far as clan mechs go.. I find the Inner sphere mechs are a less forgiving and take a bit more to set up...but when set up right and practiced they can wreck people

Yeah I got him to buy a laservom hellbringer. Ebon jag is kinda wide and no ecm

#60 shaytalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 271 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 12:33 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 31 January 2018 - 10:02 AM, said:

I've said it many, many times I really push a list of four mechs that all stress different skills for making one a well rounded pilot:

Locust family:

This chassis family, really teaches map knowledge and how not to get hit. Now by map knowledge, you learn how to find the optimal path for navigation as well as where you can find cover to mask your approach for flanking.

Hunchback family:

This chassis family really drives home good gunnery, as well as shielding a side.

Centurion family:

This family is fantastic at teaching the various weapon types, as the 9A and 9D both pack a hard point or two of each weapon type. They also teach torso twisting to maximize taking a hit better than other chassis, as they roll damage very well.

Dragon family:

This family is really good at teaching you how to make the most of less than ideal hit boxes, as well as teaching a cavalry style game play.

I got lucky, for me it was the Bushwacker and the Warhammer, I took to them like a duck takes to water.

I agree strongly with the advice here. Try out at least one in each of these categories. There may be a FLE-17 pilot hiding underneath that Atlas.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users