• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 72 posts
  • LocationJoisey

Posted 31 January 2018 - 05:40 PM

Hello Hello,
Concerning this new Portal .
I have not installed it yet.
My question is I have the game installed on my D/ drive. Separate HD from the operating system.

Do I need to do anything special while installing or afterwards?

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 01 February 2018 - 04:16 PM

Hey Bobbagels,

MWO Portal can be installed anywhere. So if you have MWO itself on the D drive, you can also install portal there. Below is an example

d:\games\Piranha Games\
or
d:\games\

Below would be the actual location if you were to open up the File Explorer. You can not edit the ACTUAL final directory, only the ones higher up. So if your current MWO folder is not listed as Mechwarrior Online, you will need to rename it to Mechwarrior Online because PGI has the final folder hard set.

d:\games\Piranha Games\Mechwarrior Online

d:\games\Piranha Games\MWO Portal

or

d:\games\Mechwarrior Online

d:\games\MWO Portal

But if you enter, say, in the line area where you can hit the directory and input the following...

d:\games\Mechwarrior Online

The MWO portal will say it needs to install the full game instead of install then validate because the final directory will look like

d:\games\Mechwarrior Online/Mechwarrior Online., bypassing the actual installation folder/subfolder.

This is something Kristen has not acknowledged when I was posting on the thread where the old portal was being retired.

So, regardless of where you put MWO PORTAL, once it is installed, click on the MWO Install button, click on the icon next to the default path, drill to the D drive and the directory JUST BEFORE Mechwarrior Online. Do not select the actual MWO folder itself then you should be good to go once it checks and validates the files.
d:\games\Piranha Games\

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 01 February 2018 - 04:19 PM.

#3 BobBagels {ScorpS}

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 72 posts
  • LocationJoisey

Posted 03 February 2018 - 06:58 PM

Hiya Tarl,
How ya been?

The path to the installed game is

D;/MWO/MechWarrior Online

and there is another file there

MWOUpdate

So basically just drill to D;/MWO ?

#4 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 07:49 PM

Doing well, we are all getting older /chuckles...

Correct, drill to D:/MWO, for MWO Portal if you intent to install it there, then when it asks you to install Mechwarrior Online, then drill to D:/MWO and hit install. It will go through a few steps, validation and such and if you have not patched recently patch those files.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 03 February 2018 - 07:51 PM.

#5 radmin13

• Pip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 04:05 AM

I'm trying to install the portal to C:\Games\Piranha Games\. Still tries to download a 19GB patch, which is the whole game. Is this right? I didn't think we would have to re-download the game through the new portal.

#6 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 07:31 AM

First, there is two actual installers. MWO Portal (the launchpad/patcher has a small footprint) THEN Mechwarrior Online.

C:\Games\Piranha Games\ for the folder to point to.

C:\Games\Piranha Games\Mechwarrior Online will the final folder if you were drill down using Windows Explorer.

Is this where your MWO game folder is actually located? Again, what I used is where mine is setup, using it as an example. Does your actual pre-existing folder itself say Mechwarrior Online because if the main folder on the harddrive does not say Mechwarrior Online but something like MWO, etc then yes, it will reinstall the entire game because the final main folder containing the game contents is named Mechwarrior Online. Players are NOT able to customize name of the the final/main directory/folder.

Are you able to post a screenshot of installer folder screen? Or does your Setup, for either MWO Portal or Mechwarrior Online look like this? This shows the directory name before you hit Next. Once the MWO Portal is running, it will say Install for MWO itself, then make sure it is pointed in the right direction. Once that is completed it should say it is validating patch.

Just a reminder again, MWO folder itself has to be listed as Mechwarrior Online ... no exceptions. If your MWO folder as listed in the big back does not say Mechwarrior Online (do not click on that line either) then you need to correct that name.

Posted Image

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 10 February 2018 - 07:33 AM.

#7 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:08 AM

View Postradmin13, on 10 February 2018 - 04:05 AM, said:

I'm trying to install the portal to C:\Games\Piranha Games\. Still tries to download a 19GB patch, which is the whole game. Is this right?

No, it doesn't recognize the game being installed.

Here's how you probably can fix it.

https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__5867284

#8 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:30 PM

View Postradmin13, on 10 February 2018 - 04:05 AM, said:

I'm trying to install the portal to C:\Games\Piranha Games\. Still tries to download a 19GB patch, which is the whole game. Is this right? I didn't think we would have to re-download the game through the new portal.

Yep, same with me, i could either install the game anew (19 gigs) or install a patch (19 gigs). It's just pgi trolling, don't mind it.

#9 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 February 2018 - 05:32 AM

Patched fine in January. Every time I try to get through the Portal, it tries to run the repair tool (no other option) and get:
"Found a registry key but the specified location doesn't exist: C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\"

Tried the command prompt redirection, gave me a syntax failure.

Keeps re-adding old registries from what I can tell.

Tried uninstalling and get:
Spoiler

never mind. after half a dozen restarts, the installer finally decided if found the right registry and started patching.

Patch 1 size: 9.15MB.

I'm going to bed and let it run overnight (sure there are bigger files to come... on a 1.1 connection)

Edited by Fiona Marshe, 21 February 2018 - 05:36 AM.

#10 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:56 PM

Aaaaaannnndddddd..... it decided to download from scratch. See you in a few days.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users