6 replies to this topic

#1 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 10 January 2020 - 12:22 AM

I was just doing a raid, first need to say, never seen a friendly outside of doing War Zone missions.

Ok, headed to first target location, was getting swarm at the get-go, no prob, we can handle it, blasting our way to first target, as I was getting closer to the target area, I see the green friendly icon on the screen . . confusing at first, since this was a raid, anyways "COOL", extra help,
this single tank, was a LRM boat Tank, can't target it to get info, but just saw streams of LRMs coming from it, first target done,
oh enemy still dropping, more mechs . . the lil tank was screaming those LRM's at the enemy . . now I switched to protect that tank, he's taking out range Targets, and doping an awesome job

next 3 target locations are kinda far, lil tank can't keep up. Thanks lil Guy, we'll take it from here

2 locations down, one to go, taking more damage then I care for, dang more enemy drop ships, "Lance take the new drops I'll take out the objective"

damn one guy guarding objective, no choice but do a straight on solo push and hope I don't over heat, did it, objective complete, head to evac location,
Lance still dealing with first drop, and now Vtols and a second drop ship of enemies ..
just got to get over that ridge to reach dropship without dying, enemy closing on my rear .

Suddenly there is a stream of missiles coming from the ridge I need to cross over to reach drop ship .. first I was like "oh crap, enemy now in front", but they didn't hit . . Me . . it was the enemy behind me was getting hit . m.
It was our lone friendly tank, finally reaching the area, just laying down the cover fire for me to reach the evac zone safely

yeah the lil tank that could
my Hero

#2 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 02:30 AM

Nice story.

Brings me the idea, instead of artillerie drops we could have Tank drops/reinforcments for MWO or MW5 as consumables?
That could be cool. On the other hand, I think in MWO it would be trouble if everyone would bring an extra tank or two.
Worst case you have 24 mechs and 48 tanks on the field at the same time. Man that could get ugly.

#3 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 10 January 2020 - 02:56 AM

reading that I started imagining Polar Highlands,
sky gone dark due to the LRM's

though something like that in FP would really be cool,
Attack, Boreal Vault, Open gate, send in the tanks

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 06:20 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 10 January 2020 - 02:30 AM, said:

Nice story.

Brings me the idea, instead of artillerie drops we could have Tank drops/reinforcments for MWO or MW5 as consumables?
That could be cool. On the other hand, I think in MWO it would be trouble if everyone would bring an extra tank or two.
Worst case you have 24 mechs and 48 tanks on the field at the same time. Man that could get ugly.

been saying we should have pet consumables for years.

was rather disappointed you couldn't get tanks or vtols of your own. order them to do stuff for you. use them to screen your mechs from damage.

#5 Hawk_eye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 325 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 January 2020 - 12:12 PM

You are aware that ComStar's tank.net has a pinned thread about you and your unit, aren't you?

excerpt:
"Yeah, Millers Maniacs signed on with those guys. Full company of Scorpions, Manticores and Partisans. Three weeks later, only 4 guys were still alive. Anyone signing on with these [deleted] must have a serious death-wish"

"Listen boy, no matter how much they promise to pay you, you won't live long enough to spend the money. They have a track record of 98% casualties among their tank-crews. Seriously, you'd have to be mad to sign on with those lunatics!"

"Oh, you're talking about those crazies? I'd rather face Wolf's Dragoons in an APC than signing on with those butchers to play their meat-shield. Forget it - and don't ever suggest signing on with them again if you value your hide!"

#6 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 01:41 PM

Shhhh.... don't tell them our secret plan ^_^

Well depending on the rules / source you go by tanks can be realy nasty. Still not on par with mechs but nasty. Have a hidden lance of LRM batteries or Shreks that fires maybe once or twice to soften up your targets before your mechs take over can greatly reduce an enemys armor.

Or have a Demolisher somewhere in a city. The moment you come around a corner to look into the barrels of two AC20 can be quite..costly.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 01:46 PM

Still a fan of my behemoth (armor variant) tank, though once you have any tank that takes out (via disable or kill) seven 50 ton mechs and 1 Atlas... you're bound to love it too.

(Adding vehicles, in theory, should be simpler than adding mechs due to far fewer animations being necessary so it would make a good practice run to add some).

(Side note: Sarna's incorrect, or at least not the same as my Megamek Behemoth Armor, it drops the MGs and all the SRMs, leaving 4 LRM-5s and twin AC/10s. In return, it mounts more armor than even a 100 ton mech can carry... which is pretty much the only reason it was able to do all of that while completely immobile due to losing its left tracks).

Edited by Koniving, 10 January 2020 - 01:48 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users