Current Cw Strats...

25 replies to this topic

#1 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:04 PM

Hey folks,

When I was new, I was really, really bad.

Now I am only bad. I managed to eliminate two really's!!!

One of the ways I did this was by going to new player section of the forums and reading some handy guides. VorpalAnvil was particularly helpful, and on YouTube I found Snuggles Time's videos complemented what I read.

Now before a player starts playing CW, they should start with these kind of basics first. Seems like a lot don't. So we have players that do not know how to round a corner, brawl, trade, snipe....

After a player get those basics down, there doesn't seem to be anywhere for them to turn.

One of the reasons this has come up for me, is due to a match on Sulpherous where I was in a group of six. Six very experienced CW players from BCMC and Evil. Of coarse as always, we started off by going right (alpha) and we lost that first wave 4-12.

Immediately we called for everyone to go left (gamma gate), and got some resistance at first but everyone fell in line. What happened next was four ejections bringing us to 8-12 and one King Crab who refused to eject was out of the fight while he eventually made his way all around back into gamma.

The end result was 47-38 in our favour. While it did help that we played better second wave, that come back would not have been possible if we turned and went back in the same gate allowing their first wave push outs to get damage into our second wave.

Many times while dropping solo, I have tried to explain to players to not keep pushing the same gate and to not go face first wave mechs if there is another option. This basic and common strat with most units I know, is one of the small things that could make a difference if instead of the habit pugs have of always going right no matter what, they switched gates. Hellbore is another map where if you lose first wave, you can make some of it up by simply going to the other gate.

So I am asking for those who are CW veterans, if you could use this thread to perhaps share some wisdom and basic strats for new players or even solo's who want some simple tips that may at least make games a bit more competitive.

My tip, should be obvious by now and that is to switch gates after a first wave loss on Sulpherous, and Hellbore.

The other which is common knowledge but pugs do repeatedly and continually is reinforcing after you die. The players I see repeatedly doing this are probably beyond suggestion, and really it sucks but one anti-social player can easily cost everyone else the match. So if new and reading this, please don't.

Edited by tker 669, 06 February 2018 - 10:30 PM.

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:45 PM

Shouldn't this be in FP forum?

I'd tell the newbies to learn how to use Command Wheel ASAP. At least the "Enemy spotted", and "Help me" buttons.

#3 naterist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts
  • Location7th circle of hell

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:36 PM

Never reinforce kiddos.

Think D.A.R.E

D.ont A.sk to R.einforce E.ver

#NotEvenOnce

#4 N0ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:04 AM

Attackers:
  • Go as one big group, no splitting gates unless you're in a group and have a strategy perfectly rehearsed and it works. (basically unit-only thing)
  • Follow through on your plan: i.e. Gen Rush or Mech Farming, either you all succeed or you all fail. No in-between.
  • Failing your first wave is not the end of the world, do not rage quit.
  • No heroics. Leave anyone who is still inside the base to die, regroup, try again. It's not worth losing a mech over 2 or 3 damaged teammates which puts your later waves at a disadvantage.
Defenders:
  • More lenient on what you can/cannot do but a general rule of thumb is absolutely NO RAMBOS. Strength in numbers.
  • Also do your best to fill up your max tonnage, don't be that guy who brings the bare minimum for "fun".
  • Attackers are pretty much the ones that are going to set up the engagement environment, so do your best to adapt to changing conditions.
Specifics are on a map to map basis which could fill up 10+ pages worth of posts with mechs/builds/specific grids to go through and which to avoid/etc.

#5 Telemachus -Salt Wife Salt Life-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 364 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:20 AM

Sadly, (in my opinion) there aren't really CW strats per se. There's adapting to what the enemy is doing.

I'd say 50% of a match is decided in the mechlab. The other 25% is player skill, and 25% is teamwork in my opinion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So tips...

1. Don't bring lrms or streaks.

2. Bring as much direct fire weapons as possible paying attention to the map ranges.

3. If each individual pilot is consistently not shooting or finding a position that enables them to shoot then you are wasting heat/damage/dps/time (which is why lrms and streaks are bad because you have to wait for locks or wait to get into targeting range).

4. The deathball push is a viable strategy for newer players/groups, but a better strategy is what I'd call "whittling them down" - which involves going in, shooting a bit, getting 1 or 2 kills, moving forward, shooting them a bit, getting a few more kills, and then once you have a 4-6 kill advantage, pushing forward and finishing them.

5. Sharing armor as a group, cycling out, stepping in front of your shut down team mates are all good ways to ensure that you are staying alive longer than the opponents.

6. You DON'T have to go in as a big group as it was mentioned. Split pushes are viable, and sometimes superior strategies.

7. DON'T BRING LRMS OR STREAKS (worth mentioning agian).

8. It has been mentioned before, but DO NOT REINFORCE. 4 waves of 12 fresh mechs (there are exceptions when you are dominating the opponent and you just run in but general rule of thumb).

9. IF you are going to gen rush, decide on the 2nd or 3rd wave. 4th wave is too late to gen rush. If gen rushing everyone should do it. BUT DON'T GEN RUSH BECAUSE GEN RUSHING IS BAD, K. #L2SHOOTROBOTSNUBS

10. HIT THE "R" BUTTON (No, not because you are holding locks for the lurm noobs, but because you are looking for that XL Stalker's already open side torso to blow off with those pro direct fire weapons that you put on your mech because you listened to me and didn't bring LURMS or Streaks)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am sure there's more but 10 tips is a good place to start.

Edited by Telemachus -Salt Wife Salt Life-, 07 February 2018 - 12:24 AM.

#6 Phoolan Devi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fenrik
  • Fenrik
  • 366 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:55 AM

Yep, since the introduction of the qp-maps, one has to repeat the most rudimentary rules of FW over and over again!

1.) heaviest first, lightest last (exceptions work only in 12-mans where dropdecks are synvhronized)
2.) never reinforce, always regroup

Yes, at the beginning I was happy about the qp-maps and -modes in FW, but I now think ist was one big mistake!

#7 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 February 2018 - 04:28 AM

When i joined i was really bad.... Now after three years i'm really really really bad... I'm doing this right... Right!

#8 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:01 AM

From my experience the matches where a regroup point is communicated before the match (or at the start) tend to go smoother since everyone knows where to go and wait after dying.

#9 InvictusLee

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:10 AM

Pushes work way better when all players take similar drop decks with similar builds. IE all brawling or all Long range minus lrms.

Atm builds are quite viable so long as you stick with the group.

#10 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:45 AM

due to the content of this Topic, its better placed in the Faction Play Forum,

thank you for your cooperation

#11 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:05 PM

I've a brief Primer made from a brawler's perspective.

~Leone.

#12 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:35 PM

I think we got stomped by BCMC the other day they are Clan right?

anyways here goes some of what I learned since 2014 and dropping with all kinds of people and units

1) when PGI says this mode is for teams that's what they mean (read between the lines)

2)the team with the most people on a drop take priority that means if they want they dictate the order of battle

3) don't argue, there is not enough time for arguments
4) whomever speaks up first do that unless they give up command remember don't argue
5) stay positive never waste time calling out people "what are you doing over there"-- "what are you doing"

instead say "I am going right gate" or "lets go right gate" be forward in your thinking
6)set up the order of battle as soon as possible for example in chat you might type "drop heaviest first" or "lights cap"

7) when I drop call I try to give reasons why we do things for example we don't reinforce for the most part because about the time you get there the people your trying to reinforce will be dead

8) if there is 8 or more still alive then ask if you should reinforce (so things are not set in stone)
9)when someone drop calls help the drop caller out by saying "roger" or type RGR this helps to establish command authority for players that are not sure

10)don't argue if someone dissents relinquish command, I either clam up or say roger (there is not enough time to argue)

11) at the start of the drop I will either say "who wants command on this drop" or I will ask the unit are you guys going to call it (talking to the unit 2 or more players)

12) sometime I see a top tier player on my drop and I will ask them what we should do

13)there are very few real tactics on 95% of the FP drops (see #1) the success of teams in this computer generated world reinforces there arrogance

14) we switch gates because it is easier to do with pugs but most often it would be better to drop both gates at the exact same time

15) advice from the USAF only winning counts I am not here to skill you I am here to kill you

16) when fighting the Clan they are so powerful you need to give them a different look (that means new tactics)

17) try to either create a miss match in numbers or take advantage of a miss match in forces (you want more of your Mechs shooting at a lesser number of there Mechs that would be a miss match)

18) your load out might work on the testing grounds or in quick play it does not mean it will work in FP

19) more of an advanced tactic but try to get the other sides forces out of sync (that means you don't want them dropping in 12 man waves)

20) be aggressive when its time to be aggressive

21) I spend a lot of time dead watching my team it seems I said push in the gate and they are still out side (the pug life)

22) we say on a lot of maps meet in the center between the gates so you have the option to switch gates if need be
I try to explain all this when I drop call

23)as the battle progress our meet up point gets pulled back from the gates the reason for this is your first few mechs to gate might run into the enemy team that has just pushed out of the gates
they will have a miss match of forces and kill your guys quick

24) "we want a tight murder ball the tighter the better" when we attack

25)"assaults and heavies to the front" so you can use your armor

26)"lets fight on our side of the map" if you are IS often the slowness if IS mechs is the reason for this

some very simple stuff, just remember this is a video game everything is subject to what the game
designers want

GLHF

Edited by Davegt27, 18 February 2018 - 06:19 AM.

#13 Lyons De Flamand

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 146 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 03:23 AM

Wave 1: Open the gates, punch the baddies in the face, take down the turrets
Wave 2: Go in, punch the baddies in the face, take the gens
Wave 3: Go in, kick the baddies in the nuts, take Omega down to 20 percent
Wave 4: Finish the baddies, take down Omega

If at any time the match goes south, you're in a place to take victory.

There, a piece of the A41 playbook for free

*as called by UnknownPlayer*

Edited by Lyons De Flamand, 09 February 2018 - 11:58 AM.

#14 UnKnownPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 266 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 07:11 AM

View PostLyons De Flamand, on 08 February 2018 - 03:23 AM, said:

Wave 2: Go in, punch the baddies in the face, take the gens
Wave 3: Go in, kick the baddies in the nuts, take Omega down to 20 percent
Wave 4: Finish the baddies, take down Omega

If at any time the match goes south, you're in a place to take victory.

There, a piece of the A41 playbook for free

Wow Lyons, you literally quoted me word for word......

More seriously though, this is our standard play for when we have 6-8 unit members then unit friends or new players or lower skilled players as it is an easy tactic to follow, we stick together, we all bring 70kph heavies and we push in then focus fire.
If you are new to FP then find a unit that will let you in on easy tactics like we do, or 31HR or similar.

We only get grumpy when people don't push with the group, speed synergy is important for this, more so than weapon synergy tbh as you can still use "snipe" weapons in a brawl, just not as well.

Edited by UnKnownPlayer, 09 February 2018 - 09:33 AM.

#15 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:33 AM

well there is opening the gates then there is opening the gates without taking damage

so opening the gates is a goal but here are a few strats

1) don't waste your ammo opening the gates let someone with lasers do that (lrms is the one exception)

I feel like LRMs are useful for emplacements but sadly PGI nerfed (because lack of for thought and not playing there own game) that ability

maybe I should start a thread pointing out crazy game mechanics that killed FP
bottom line its a good strat to open the gate/gates without taking damage

#16 Holy Jackson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 222 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:04 AM

A few of my thoughts.

1.) Be fast enough to keep up with your group. This means no annihilators on hellbore attack. Vitric defence is very anni friendly, but oh god don't make your team wait for you to waddle up when speed is key to grouping an positioning. Half the reason pugs think that the clan mechs are OP is because most of them go 80+kph so they're all in a line waiting for you when you get wherever you're going.

2.) Know how to share armor. This means push with the group, don't be afraid of a few hits, and then run sideways and forward to let team mates pass you up the center of the group and take a few hits. This is sharing. You take some shots. They take some shots, repeat. Never ever stop dead if you're in the front center, and if you press S, you deserve getting backshot by your team.

3. Have mostly generic optimized builds. Bring them out appropriately. Take your erll builds out on the open cold maps. Bring your srm and ac brawlers on the hot close maps. Have some mid range laser poke builds. Never bring LRM builds. Ever. The only exception to this is when you're dropping with a team and the drop caller wants you to bring lrms because that's the team plan and there are dedicated narc mechs. If youre pugging lrms, you are a liability, and members of the other team will giggle and kill you. I know. I always giggle while i kill lrm mechs. They're literally mech candy.

#17 Pat Kell

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationSol, NA, Iowa

Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:08 PM

View PostHoly Jackson, on 09 February 2018 - 10:04 AM, said:

A few of my thoughts.

1.) Be fast enough to keep up with your group. This means no annihilators on hellbore attack. Vitric defence is very anni friendly, but oh god don't make your team wait for you to waddle up when speed is key to grouping an positioning. Half the reason pugs think that the clan mechs are OP is because most of them go 80+kph so they're all in a line waiting for you when you get wherever you're going.

2.) Know how to share armor. This means push with the group, don't be afraid of a few hits, and then run sideways and forward to let team mates pass you up the center of the group and take a few hits. This is sharing. You take some shots. They take some shots, repeat. Never ever stop dead if you're in the front center, and if you press S, you deserve getting backshot by your team.

3. Have mostly generic optimized builds. Bring them out appropriately. Take your erll builds out on the open cold maps. Bring your srm and ac brawlers on the hot close maps. Have some mid range laser poke builds. Never bring LRM builds. Ever. The only exception to this is when you're dropping with a team and the drop caller wants you to bring lrms because that's the team plan and there are dedicated narc mechs. If youre pugging lrms, you are a liability, and members of the other team will giggle and kill you. I know. I always giggle while i kill lrm mechs. They're literally mech candy.

I swear, I don't have an alt account, I didn't type the above message but it sure looks like my hand writing Posted Image

Well said, I agree with every point.

Edited by Pat Kell, 09 February 2018 - 10:08 PM.

#18 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:37 PM

View PostHoly Jackson, on 09 February 2018 - 10:04 AM, said:

A few of my thoughts.

I know. I always giggle while i kill lrm mechs. They're literally mech candy.

IS lurm boats are the funniest. Watch them flail and flounder when I get into minimal range.

#19 Wild PUG

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 01:09 AM

View Postnaterist, on 06 February 2018 - 11:36 PM, said:

Never reinforce kiddos.

Think D.A.R.E

D.ont A.sk to R.einforce E.ver

#NotEvenOnce

No

Rawr

#20 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:31 AM

1. Don't boat LRMs.
2. Don't boat LRMs.
3. Don't boat LRMs.

I don't care how much damage you sandpaper away in Quick Play, how many kills you once scored because one LRM happened to do the last point of damage, how much damage you did in some other FP match where a team was able to carry you, or how strongly you philosophically believe you should be able to play the game "your way".

FP requires teamwork. The 11 other players you dropped with need you to move with them, take your share of the incoming fire and enemy attention, to quickly direct fire at available targets, and be capable of of shooting enemies with maximum firepower within 180m range.

Edited by Appogee, 10 February 2018 - 02:32 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users