21 replies to this topic

#1 Utah Steel

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 05:03 AM

Hello Mechwarriors,

I am a fairly new player to MWO, and have started building up my stable of mechs ( currently own the Bushwacker, Hellbringer and Timberwolf ), playing only quick play games so far.
I would like to start playing some faction stuff, but don't know if I should go clan or IS. So I have been playing mechs on both sides, and found at medium I love the Bushwacker with a brawler build. That thing rips S**T up and is tanky as hell.

Anyway to my question...
What is there on the clan side I should try at medium, that I could take in faction warfare, and I could build out / play similar to my Bushwaker?

This is my Bushwacker, which is accurate except for my armor. My armor is way higher as I've built out most of the survival nodes, but this should give you a good idea of what I run. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fe61fe88e3c8752
( props to M4J35T1C as this build was based off his machete 2.0 )

I've tried the hunchback IIc trial mech and frankly wasn't too impressed, granted it was a trial mech so cant change the loadout or assign skill nodes.

Also, I've heard great things about the Stormcrow, but heard they are not allowed in faction play. Still banned?

Thank you for your ideas.
UtahSteel

#2 Darrious Quinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 244 posts
  • LocationUS East Coast

Posted 08 February 2018 - 06:44 AM

The Stormcrow was never banned from FP, just scouting and yes, that scouting restriction has been lifted. Scouting is simply an element of FP.

You'll never truly find a solid equivalent to the Bushwacker. Based on tonnage and performance though, the Hunchback 2c, Huntsman and Stormcrow are the first to pop into mind. Since the Huntsman and Stormcrow are both are Omnimechs, you can manipulate hardpoints as you need based on what each pod offers. Just be aware that due to hard mounted equipment in clan mechs, such as jump jets and/or heatsinks. You may be restricted on what you can squeeze on.

I hate to say it, you didn't give the hunchback a fair shake. The hunchback 2c is a beast and does extremely well in scouting mode. Sometimes trial mechs aren't the best example of what the chassis can do. Tailor the build to the mech and your taste, not to me a mirror to an IS counterpart. Don't think there is a clan counterpart to you the RAC5, there isn't. So if the RAC is part of your playstyle, then none of the premier clan scouts will suit you.

Edited by Darrious Quinn, 09 February 2018 - 09:27 AM.

#3 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:07 AM

While they're not the same style of play, in my opinion the clan 'counter' to the Bushwacker is the Huntsman.

If you consider the Bushwacker to be Rocky Balboa, the Huntsman is Apollo Creed. The Bushwacker will soak up the hits and keep plodding forward while the Huntsman will jump around and unleash an impressive amount of damage.

#4 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:16 AM

The black adder will maybe be the Clan Bushwacker...

#5 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 08 February 2018 - 03:46 PM

View PostDamnedtroll, on 08 February 2018 - 07:16 AM, said:

I think you mean the Black Lanner, n'est pas?

Edited by CFC Conky, 08 February 2018 - 03:47 PM.

#6 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 06:18 PM

You have to think of Faction Decks in different ways.

Sieges and attacking or defending can be totally different. I know a lot of people that will go with 3 Heavies and a Light. Assaults can be too slow for attack and a lot of Units like you to run a light at the end too either run down the enemy or so to swarm on Gen Kills. SRMs are great for destroying Gens.

Since they have added more games to Faction Warfare, You can go assault on down to a Light.

It is also what you feel good playing, I love 3 Hellbringers and a Shadowcat for a Clan Deck

I often have a "cold map" deck. a "hot map" one and maybe a long range and short range one.

#7 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 08 February 2018 - 06:47 PM

View PostCFC Conky, on 08 February 2018 - 03:46 PM, said:

I think you mean the Black Lanner, n'est pas?

yep, got confuse ! Black adder is an Heavy gear mecha... Black Lanner it is!

Edited by Damnedtroll, 08 February 2018 - 06:48 PM.

#8 Utah Steel

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 07:07 AM

Thank you all for your responses!

I'll watch for some sales and pickup the huntsman, stormcrow, hunchback iic and probably a nova for good measure.

I figure I'll start with scouting faction play

Utah Steel

#9 Pocket_Aces

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 103 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 07:30 AM

There is no equivalent to the Bushwhacker, for a medium, with an extra 5 tons of armor the only thing that comes close is the Orion IIC, a heavy clan mech.

A friend and I did some one on one matches, he took his Bushwhacker and I tried an assortment of mechs, I never came close to beating him.

#10 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 09 February 2018 - 07:40 AM

View PostPocket_Aces, on 09 February 2018 - 07:30 AM, said:

There is no equivalent to the Bushwhacker, for a medium, with an extra 5 tons of armor the only thing that comes close is the Orion IIC, a heavy clan mech.

A friend and I did some one on one matches, he took his Bushwhacker and I tried an assortment of mechs, I never came close to beating him.

The Orion llC is the angry little brother of the Highlander llC. Yes I love both the IS and Clan versions. As for the Bushwacker that Mech is a hard row to hoe.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 07:55 AM

View PostUtah Steel, on 09 February 2018 - 07:07 AM, said:

Thank you all for your responses!

I'll watch for some sales and pickup the huntsman, stormcrow, hunchback iic and probably a nova for good measure.

I figure I'll start with scouting faction play

Utah Steel

Don't be afraid to use cbills to get such mechs.
Unless getting a preorder pack, I tend to save the use of real money specifically for Hero Mechs, as these are unobtainable using cbills. Furthermore they offer an incentive as a 30% cbill bonus while playing as them which is permanent, as long as you're playing as a hero mech you are getting 30% more cbills.

If it helps to get an idea of the buying power of cbills...
I have 286 mechs (correction, a player I helped get into the game bought me fishies [the Piranhas] so there's 4 more now, guess that makes 290 mechs), this isn't counting the ones I've sold, rebought and resold, either but just how many I have right now. About 50 or so are heroes or came from packages (+the 4 fish) And you can't sell heroes or special mechs. (but why would you want to?)

Edited by Koniving, 09 February 2018 - 08:55 AM.

#12 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 08:45 AM

Bushwackers are good... but they're hardly invincible.

Considering that I don't play much FP... over 75 Scouting drops logged, I've ended up with a 2:1 W/L, and it's mostly down to the HBK-IIC.

With this build. Take the last half-ton of ammo off if you want to up the leg armor; it can be a bit risky to shave there in Scouting (I've just gotten more use out of the ammo; that was the point where messy death balanced out with more damage for me).

Legging is the name of the game in Scouting, and very few things are as good at legging as 2xLB20X... which is something no IS medium can pull off (or any other dual 20, for that matter). It's borderline even for the Hunch IIC, but the 'Mech just barely pulls it off. Two solid hits and you've taken a leg off (one if they skipped leg day, especially if there's tasty ammo in there). If someone gives you a backshot, one volley takes off most of their weapons and equipment, much faster than even a Piranha's worth of MGs could. Sure, you're a little on the slow side... but unless the enemy goes for ERLL baiting, they're going to close with you, and when they do you kneecap 'em. It's a really, really effective 'Mech for the mode. Runs cool, hits hard, focuses components way better than SRMs do... can't say enough nice things about it.

There's also the HBK-IIC-A and SCR with medpulse vomit, the HBK-IIC-B, HMN, and SCR with SRM splat or splat+lasers, the SCR and HMN with a few different LBX+SRM combos like this one... Just don't expect any Clanmech to take hits the way a Bushwacker can. None of them will. Leverage what you've got- and what you've got is a big pile 'o guns. Bring as much firepower as you can reasonably manage, and you'll balance out the armor disparity easily enough.

#13 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 09 February 2018 - 08:57 AM

View PostDamnedtroll, on 08 February 2018 - 07:16 AM, said:

I doubt the Black Lanner will be the Clan Bushwacker... the Black Lanner is going to be pushing 12t of pod space for weapons....

#14 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:33 AM

Team works wins more games than any one mech. Had plenty of wins with the Bushwacker but I have been stomp a equal number of times by Huntsman wolf packs.

#15 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:27 AM

Since we are talking about the Bushwacker.....

In your opinions, which are the best ones? I've looking to buy one mainly for scouting when we are IS.

#16 Utah Steel

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:33 AM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 10 February 2018 - 09:27 AM, said:

In your opinions, which are the best ones? I've looking to buy one mainly for scouting when we are IS.

I think it depends on what you want to do with it.
If you like to brawl, the X1.
More of missile boat support, the P1.

#17 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 10 February 2018 - 12:33 PM

View PostUtah Steel, on 10 February 2018 - 09:33 AM, said:

I think it depends on what you want to do with it.
If you like to brawl, the X1.
More of missile boat support, the P1.

I like the P2 myself, 2xLB10-X and 2xMPL work pretty well in scouting. You can also do a 'Yen Lo Wacker' with an AC20 and 4xML.

Fun mech.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#18 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 10 February 2018 - 01:58 PM

LUG,

Personally I like the X2, 280 LFE UAC/10 2MG's SRM/4 2ERML ammo to taste, Endo and LFF to round it out.

#19 Yumoshiri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 190 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:17 PM

Bushwacker is a 55 tonner that is more survivable than most 60 or even 65 tonners. It takes an active mind to take it out. Clans don't have this feat of survivability in this weight class. I'd vouch for the Linebacker, but it's 65 tons. In the medium category, brawlers, you have stormcrows, huntsmen, hunchbacks, Nova. They all have their perks and cons. Hunchbacks have seen multiple nerfbats, and their mobility is quite poor at this point they move like assaults. Yes, they are very powerful, but also vulnerable from flanks now. Stormcrows reign the scepter of tankiness and damage. Huntsmen, solid choice too. Arguably better than the hunchback being more versatile and good hitboxes, as well as hardpoints. Nova: a beast of old days, but still a titan, if you can deal with the heat. Laser vomit, or uac+lasers have been great options.

#20 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:02 AM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 10 February 2018 - 09:27 AM, said:

P1's pretty much the best brawler. 4 ASRM6, LFE280, 2 RL20s for burst damage to help remove one of the enemy clanners a bit faster, just never fire the RLs and SRMs at the same time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users