New Players: 1000 Damage Is Your First Goal

63 replies to this topic

#21 Knuckles OTool

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:19 AM

Sometimes you get out of position in your key mech for the fight and get taken out fast with a couple focusing you(sniper down and lights and brawlers left and its all snipe war) and that's understandable. But then there are some WTF moments with team mates. Are they intentionally throwing the fight? Like this guy with 11 damage and 22 assists in his 4 mechs. Posted Image

#22 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:23 AM

View PostMakoto of Glie, on 08 February 2018 - 05:15 PM, said:

Basic Message: If you're a newer / inexperienced player and can't yet regularly hit 1000 damage in FP, it's highly advisable to stick to QP for a while, gain experience (actual and skill-tree related), and experiment in the mechlab to find builds that suit your style. Hop factions and earn the Rank 2 Mechbay rewards if you'd still like to try it; Rank 6 is too much of a grind without premium / bigger scores.

Even shorter: find mechs and builds with which you can routinely pull off 300+ damage in QP without kiting or using your entire team as a meat shield. Take ones that come together to exactly your tonnage cap or just under it and make that your drop deck.

That's by no means ideal, but makes an acceptable starting point.

View PostWillard Phule, on 11 February 2018 - 09:46 PM, said:

1000 damage is setting the bar kinda high, don't you think? Some of these guys struggle to get 300 with all 4 mechs.
No, it's setting the bar quite low. If someone is routinely doing less than that on average, he's holding back their entire team because the others have to pick up his slack.

#23 Asylum Choir

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:40 AM

View PostKubernetes, on 11 February 2018 - 12:57 AM, said:

It’s difficult to gauge effectiveness purely from damage numbers these days. My MRM100 Cyclops -Q can easily put out 1200-1500 damage in a first wave, whereas my dual HGauss Sleipnir usually gets around 800-1000. Is the MRM platform so much more effective? No, it’s probably less so. The Sleipnir is putting all its damage into CT. On the Clan side I see people racking up big numbers with ATMs—and not really doing much work. You should take into account how players are getting their damage. A PPFLD deck may not pump out the raw numbers, but it’s more effective at actually killing.

This guy gets it.EFFICIENT damage is king.

#24 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:26 AM

View PostAsylum Choir, on 12 February 2018 - 06:40 AM, said:

I mean... yea, I agree 100%, BUT....

I'd rather have a guy doing 1500 inefficient damage over a guy doing 500 efficient damage.

#25 Natural Predator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 690 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:17 PM

I can’t tell you how many matches I have pushed and drew fire to get a 12-1 or 12-0. Spreading damage being focused on is Probably one of the toughest things to do right. You have to trust your team is with you and will take advantage of it. I can also verify that cheekiez isn’t afraid to lead pushes unless he is feeling lurmy.

Edited by Ragnar Baron Leiningen, 12 February 2018 - 01:18 PM.

#26 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:36 PM

View PostAsylum Choir, on 12 February 2018 - 06:40 AM, said:

Yeah, but we're talking new players. You do 800+ with one mech in one wave, you're already way ahead of the curve.

#27 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:05 PM

View PostHorseman, on 12 February 2018 - 06:23 AM, said:

That's by no means ideal, but makes an acceptable starting point.
No, it's setting the bar quite low. If someone is routinely doing less than that on average, he's holding back their entire team because the others have to pick up his slack.

That's where that whole "some potatoes simply can't be carried" comes in.

#28 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:39 AM

View PostKubernetes, on 11 February 2018 - 12:57 AM, said:

It’s difficult to gauge effectiveness purely from damage numbers these days. My MRM100 Cyclops -Q can easily put out 1200-1500 damage in a first wave, whereas my dual HGauss Sleipnir usually gets around 800-1000. Is the MRM platform so much more effective? No, it’s probably less so. The Sleipnir is putting all its damage into CT. On the Clan side I see people racking up big numbers with ATMs—and not really doing much work. You should take into account how players are getting their damage. A PPFLD deck may not pump out the raw numbers, but it’s more effective at actually killing.

I think it's even more complicated than that. Missiles in general put out more damage/ton than most energy and ballistic weapons.

So if you look at a Clan SRM 6, it does 12 damage and has 2 DPS/Ton. Clan Large Pulse laser also does 12 damage but only has 0.47 DPS/Ton. This makes the SRM 6 about 4x as damage efficient and about twice as heat efficient.

Like you said it's difficult to gauge effectiveness without some sort of stat that only adds up your "good damage". Certainly SRMs have plenty of splash damage inflating your numbers and has lower range, but if you're putting 3 or 4x as much damage downrange as the laserboat, I think it's likely you're making up a good amount of that efficiency gap.

#29 illudium Q 36

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 73 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 February 2018 - 03:06 PM

Of the 429 FP games I kept track of my score on, 71 were over 1000 points damage and 21 were over 900.

Not good enough, so I quit playing FP back in April of 2016. Don't want to go back to that. QP is fine.

#30 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 21 February 2018 - 03:23 PM

View Postilludium Q 36, on 21 February 2018 - 03:06 PM, said:

Of the 429 FP games I kept track of my score on, 71 were over 1000 points damage and 21 were over 900.

Not good enough, so I quit playing FP back in April of 2016. Don't want to go back to that. QP is fine.

I did 350 DMG in a FP match the other day then 500 DMG after that

#31 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 21 February 2018 - 03:35 PM

Seen some people doing phenomenal score in FP but in QP too. Sometimes some player names stay and when you drop again with them it's good to follow them and look what they do. Lots of times i see people using their teammate like meat shields making call to help them farm more to get a big score whatever the game result... When you see 10-11 guys doing more or less descent scores and one or two doing phenomenal scores and you lose... you just know why.

Seen aiming bot too when following those... but one thing for sure, if you have high scorer that doesn't play to win, it's far worse than a bad player who try to play for the win.

Edited by Damnedtroll, 21 February 2018 - 03:36 PM.

#32 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:04 PM

View Postilludium Q 36, on 21 February 2018 - 03:06 PM, said:

After 400 games if you weren't consistently cracking 1500dmg you either need to look at your builds and/or how you are playing.

#33 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:03 PM

View PostEisenhorne, on 12 February 2018 - 07:26 AM, said:

I'd rather have a guy doing 1500 inefficient damage over a guy doing 500 efficient damage.

As long as the inefficient damage isn't via lurms.

#34 illudium Q 36

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 73 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:02 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 21 February 2018 - 06:04 PM, said:

After 400 games if you weren't consistently cracking 1500dmg you either need to look at your builds and/or how you are playing.

Exactly, that's why I quit playing Faction Play.

#35 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 22 February 2018 - 09:05 AM

View PostYondu the Ravager, on 21 February 2018 - 09:03 PM, said:

As long as the inefficient damage isn't via lurms.
Let's face it... the guy who does 500 dmg to three targets with lurm vomit in five minutes, attracts enemy fire, dies and rolls out with another mech to repeat has still been more useful than the guy who took 10 minutes to do the same amount of damage by poking all 12 enemies at range with his stealth light. As long as the inefficient damage is vomited quickly enough and persistently enough to make a difference, I couldn't care less what weapons were used to do that.

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 21 February 2018 - 06:04 PM, said:

Like I said a few times before... first one has to get to a point of being able to carry his own weight in QP and semi-consistently do 400+ damage there (without kiting), then consider adapting those mechs to FP. Hardly optimal, but it's a starting point that at least gives him a fighting chance.

... and I still see oblivious newbies join Invasion queue in their first month of playing, with a drop deck full of trials and not understanding why they get rolled. Posted Image

View Postilludium Q 36, on 22 February 2018 - 08:02 AM, said:

Exactly, that's why I quit playing Faction Play.
The only way to definitively fail at FP is to stop trying. If you keep at it and adapt, you will eventually get the hang of it (and I should know, took me long enough to get there myself).

#36 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 22 February 2018 - 09:23 AM

I play to keep up with things so that I know what I am talking about

wish it was fun but that how things go sometimes

#37 Knight Captain Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 340 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 05:31 PM

1,000 damage is certainly an admirable goal but by no means required. Tonight I had the privilege of 2 PuG vs PuG faction matches. The 1st was an incursion match, I noticed no one on my side selected light mech on round 1 so I went with my spider. Apparently no one on the other side went light.. 5 batteries/drop offs later I was able to start focusing on kills; we won, I got 15 kill assists + 1 kill shot/most damage.

The 2nd PuG vs PuG match was a skirmish, I took my heavy sniper. 20+ kill assists and a half dozen enemy artillery strikes aimed at me before we ran out of time (we won 34 to 30). Sometimes no deaths is more valuable than kill shots.

In neither match did I break 4 figure damage but in both matches I contributed to our victory. If I hadn't spent so much time dodging damage during my sniper match I might have broken 1,000 but damage attracted/avoided may as well be AMS missiles destroyed :)

Edited by Andres Gomez, 23 February 2018 - 05:53 PM.

#38 UnKnownPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 266 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 12:10 AM

View PostAndres Gomez, on 23 February 2018 - 05:31 PM, said:

1,000 damage is certainly an admirable goal but by no means required. Tonight I had the privilege of 2 PuG vs PuG faction matches. The 1st was an incursion match, I noticed no one on my side selected light mech on round 1 so I went with my spider. Apparently no one on the other side went light.. 5 batteries/drop offs later I was able to start focusing on kills; we won, I got 15 kill assists + 1 kill shot/most damage.

The 2nd PuG vs PuG match was a skirmish, I took my heavy sniper. 20+ kill assists and a half dozen enemy artillery strikes aimed at me before we ran out of time (we won 34 to 30). Sometimes no deaths is more valuable than kill shots.

In neither match did I break 4 figure damage but in both matches I contributed to our victory. If I hadn't spent so much time dodging damage during my sniper match I might have broken 1,000 but damage attracted/avoided may as well be AMS missiles destroyed Posted Image

It depends on your team, if your team is calling pushes and is speed / wave synergised then no deaths hurts the plan, there is nothing more frustrating as a drop caller than having 10 people doing what you want and 2 other people "helping out" by sniping or "suppressing" the enemy when everyone else is focused on a short range brawl.

Check the mechs of the people that you are dropping with, if they have all brought black knights, grasshoppers, orions, roughnecks etc. or have given out a drop or mech order in the pre-match chat box then it's better to join in with what they are doing, better yet, ask them for the TS address and join their group.

#39 Cato Zilks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 698 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 25 February 2018 - 03:07 AM

View PostKnuckles OTool, on 12 February 2018 - 01:19 AM, said:

Sometimes you get out of position in your key mech for the fight and get taken out fast with a couple focusing you(sniper down and lights and brawlers left and its all snipe war) and that's understandable. But then there are some WTF moments with team mates. Are they intentionally throwing the fight? Like this guy with 11 damage and 22 assists in his 4 mechs. Posted Image

That is skill. I doubt I could intentionally do that. Maybe he just rammed people all game?

#40 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 07:59 AM

View PostCato Zilks, on 25 February 2018 - 03:07 AM, said:

That is skill. I doubt I could intentionally do that. Maybe he just rammed people all game?

Davion pilot lmao

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users