Multiple Problems With Patch 1.4.148

14 replies to this topic

#1 Xavori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 792 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:26 AM

- Prior to the recent patch, game was 50-60fps on highest settings. Game is now 10-15fps on lowest. This is borderline unplayable in a game where aiming matters.

- Yes, I have current nVidia drivers. Yes, I have all Windows updates current.

- The problem is unique to MWO. I've tested Overwatch, Mass Effect, Deus Ex which are all pretty graphics heavy and they are all running the same as before.

---

- During startup from Steam, the window is black for almost a full minute before it displays MWO logo. It will actually take long enough that the window title switches to "MechWarrior Online (64 bit) (Not Responding)" before the logo appears. Prior to the patch, the logo would appear almost instantly.

- The very slow loading of the marketing screen has gone from annoying to 3+ minutes. My ISP has not changed nor has anything about my home network. And again, other online games work fine.

- After each match, the game takes several minutes to get back to the hangar view. The spinning "Loading" wheel stops spinning for most of this time.

- Even simple things like loading the even browser take longer, and the loading wheel for that also stops for a bit.

---

Here are my DxDiag reports for my system and video card. Again, tho, nothing about my system has changed since the game working fine to the currently bad since last patch.

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 16299) (16299.rs3_release.170928-1534)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: MSI
System Model: MS-7978
BIOS: A.40
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16344MB RAM
Page File: 13995MB used, 18732MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 1070
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Type: Full Device
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1B81&SUBSYS_33041462&REV_A1
Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]
Device Problem Code: No Problem
Driver Problem Code: Unknown
Display Memory: 16259 MB

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 09 February 2018 - 03:20 PM

Your GPU driver is likely furbar. Windows 10 by default also updates drivers but it is rarely the MOST recent since the driver may not be in Windows 10 catalog database.

Regardless, do a full driver uninstall, download the most recent driver and install. Test. If still issue uninstall, download the previous version and install.

Then make sure in the Nvidia panel to set Power Management Mode ( you can create a profile for MWO) to Max performance to make sure it is using NVIDIA GPU. That low FPS is usually seen when playing with the GPU built-in Intel GPU.

Also system Power Management, make sure it is set to at least Balance but best if set to High Performance to prevent core parking and non-heat related CPU throttling.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 09 February 2018 - 03:23 PM.

#3 Tekamen

• PipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 66 posts
  • LocationCookie Gotham (East Coast USA)

Posted 09 February 2018 - 04:09 PM

I'm also experiencing a massive near 50% FPS loss while playing MWO. Before the Piranha patch 1.4.148 was released on January 23, 2018 I was running mechlab FPS of 60, after patch it's down to 30-40 FPS for an unknown reason.

In game on nearly all maps played FPS has gone from hovering in the 50-60 FPS range with dips into mid 40's during intense combat or loading of a new area. After patch it's not uncommon for max FPS to be 40 with frequent dips into the 20 and even 15 FPS range.

One of my clan mates specifically went from 120 FPS to something in the 50-60 FPS ranges.

I was running fine all up through the Christmas grab bag event, but took a break after the Mad Cat Mk II went on sale for c-bills.

Edit: Made issue statement more succinct. Please note that it seems that sub-optimal airflow over GPU cooling fins was the issue for my FPS drop.

Edited by Tekamen, 09 February 2018 - 11:40 PM.

#4 Tekamen

• PipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 06:40 PM

Working on basic troubleshooting to isolate the issue. Started with drivers, verifying settings, and looking at potential operating system issues. Have not opened up the laptop to inspect hardware functionality...yet.

Some maps start out okay and then bog down over time.

Is there any way to add an option to not display decals of other players in game? I wonder if this would improve FPS performance.

Edit: Made comment more succinct. Please note that it seems that sub-optimal airflow over GPU cooling fins was the issue for my FPS drop.

Edited by Tekamen, 09 February 2018 - 11:51 PM.

#5 Xavori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 792 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 06:51 PM

Ya. I went through all the usual troubleshooting items before posting this thread. I even went so far as to turn down all the graphics options to their lowest which seemed to have absolutely no effect on the frame rate which makes me suspect it's not actually the graphics that are the problem.

#6 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 08:18 PM

Dont hate me but I do not see either of you confirming what your power settings are at. So far for many it has been due to the systems being reset or changed to Power Saver. I will keep on this like a dog with a bone. Had two players on page 3 and 5 of their thread come back to admit they had not checked it, and the system was set to Power Saver. Once it was changed their FPS issues went away.

Are either you of using any programs that utilizes overlays, be it Team Speak, Stream, Geforce Experience, etc?

Playing in Full Screen or one of the windowed modes? If one, switch to another for testing. Also try running with a clean boot to reduce the number of programs running. Again, MWO patching may have been the only NOTICEABLE patch since you are made aware of it but with both Windows background patching, which INCLUDES drivers updates, and other loaded software it could be anything.

For windows specific, go to the update page and look at the installation history. it will generally show 3 categories, Quality Updates, Driver Updates and Other updates. Keep an eye out for updates that either failed or require a restart. Once you restart and it still says a restart is needed, you may need to try to uninstall it then d/l and install it manually from the Windows category.

As for the laptop, can of compressed air and blow out the heatsinks/exhaust. That is a more common issue with laptops than with desktops. Setup a user.cfg to limit your FPS. Start at 50. Idea is to prevent Turbo boost from engaging, which is a layperson's temp OC where power is increased to the CPU, increasing the speed to fewer and fewer cores. What you are likely seeing is Turbo kicking in til heat threshold is exceeded then the CPU speed dropping low.

To get a better idea of that, run some monitoring software to record CPU and GPU speeds, heat, etc.

#7 Tekamen

• PipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:54 PM

Thanks for the thoughts and troubleshooting advice Tarl Cabot.

I think I've isolated the issue. I don't believe it was a hardware, driver, or operating system issue on my gaming laptop. It looks like the exhaust port copper cooling fins for my laptop's GPU were 70% clogged with dust bunnies. So I had partial airflow, which was fine for low GPU utilization applications and games, but caused problems in MWO when the heat could not dissipate fast enough. I've removed the caked dust from the cooling fins and restored optimal airflow over them. Hopefully this will resolve the issues I've been experiencing with FPS drops in game.

Update: I've run about twenty drops since restoring airflow. Currently my mechlab is running at 60 FPS and in game FPS is averaging 55-65 FPS with highs in the 70-80 FPS range and some lows in the 40-50 FPS range. I will continue to play MWO and see if my FPS issues remain resolved.

Thanks again for helping me resolve my FPS issues while running MWO.

Edited by Tekamen, 11 February 2018 - 05:51 PM.

#8 Xavori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 792 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:07 AM

Ya, I checked the power settings. It's been at high performance since I built the PC, but I went and checked anyway because Microsoft. Still good there.

The GPU temp is fine. I have MSI Afterburner monitoring it, and MWO doesn't budge it. Not surprising since this is an older game with an older engine, and if CryEngine wasn't garbage, the graphics on MWO wouldn't be any challenge at all even for much, much older video cards because the graphics in the game really aren't that complicated.

One bit of new info-
When playing a longer match, I noticed my FPS jumped to 40+ after about 10 minutes on the map while I was stopped behind a building. As soon as I took a step, it dropped back down to 10, even when I went back behind the building and stood still again. After another minute tho, it jumped up to 42 and stayed in the low 40's until I ran into some enemy mechs at which point it dropped down to the 20's.

So after that match, I decided to hit the testing grounds and Forest Colony which is pretty brutal for a lot of peoples' graphics cards. First, it took forever to load the map. Like 10x longer than before, which is actually happening any time I load anything. The wheel freezes after a few seconds of spinning, then starts spinning again a few seconds before it's finally going to load. Then as expected, the FPS was single digits. It stayed that way for a couple minutes before jumping to 30 and then slowly up to 41. As soon as I started moving, it dropped into the 20's. Then I found one of the target mechs, and it dropped down to 14. I stopped and just looked at the mech, and eventually it climbed back up to 38-40 (it was changing FPS in that range even without me moving). I fired a shot at the mech, and it dropped down to 20. But after a few shots, even firing only dropped the FPS into the 30's. I double checked Afterburner, and again, GPU temp was fine. It was actually 1 degree lower than when I was in the mech lab. I shot up the target mech, and by the end of that, the FPS was still in the 30's.

Then I exited the map, and it was a really long wait to get back to the hangar, and the hangar was at 7 FPS for a full minute before jumping all the way up to 60.

So ya, something's dodgy. I'll try an uninstall - reinstall of MWO next.

#9 Xavori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 792 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 01:26 PM

No dice on the reinstall. Same long loading times. Same poor FPS.

#10 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:30 PM

I did not believe a fresh MWO install would change anything.

First, on loading up into a match, that is more dependent on it unpacking and unloading game files from the harddrive to system memory. You can pull up task manager and watch the memory footprint increasing. Depending on game settings that can be 2-6gigs of memory.

So, you have uninstalled and reinstalled GPU driver and software. Have you uninstalled all that software, and installed ONLY the driver from a previous version? Have you closed down all programs or done a clean boot to reduce what programs Windows load up? No TS, no recording/steaming programs, nada.

Are you seeing actual CPU and GPU usage for Nvidia? What are the speeds showing during game play for both CPU/GPU? During play do you see the harddrive light spasming?

Create a new profile for MWO in Nvidia and set everything to default.

Just to stress since it might be loss is the possibility of interference from 3rd party program. Last year one player was having issues with MWO not running in anything but 720p. He found the culprit program only after he had done 3 fresh windows installations then loading up 1-2 programs at a time then running MWO. He spent ALOT of time tracking down that issue, and iirc it was some sort of graphic program.

#11 jan quadrant vincent 16

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:54 PM

Less than an hour ago it crashed while in main menu, looked in event log, somehow MWO was using nearly 20 gigs of vram, thats impossible, and ive noticed GPU usage is 95-100% randomly, which kinda makes me not want to play again. Nothing like this has ever happened with any other games, Doom 4, Titanfall 2, BF1, etc all run fine, whats going on?

#12 Xavori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 792 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:20 AM

Ya, I even went so far as to disable all my startup items. Clear all non-Windows essential services, and ya, it's still random spiking.

And again, MWO is an absolutely unique snowflake when it comes to pinging out my system. I have far more graphics intense programs that do not have this problem, and this wasn't a problem just a few weeks ago.

#13 ManusDei

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:03 PM

I may not have 5,000 posts like Tarl but I do know what I'm talking about when I do talk.

Nothing any of you can do, I went through the same Remove everything, reinstall everything only to end up with the same result low FPS on low settings. I have one of the fastest water cooled rigs on the planet running i7-7820X, with the best currently available GPU, Mobo, and top of line RAM from corsair, 960 PRO NVME SSD, etc etc. This is absolutely unacceptable to have less than 60 FPS on this game. Tekamen is spot on with his observations.

If PGI is reading this...."fix the patch from January" It broke the game in terms of FPS even after downloading the game from scratch.

I'm not playing the game at all today, but wanted to drop a very last line of communication to the MWO community.

It's not your drivers, its not your computer, its the game and the patcher that has broken things. Least of which is game balance that to me has completely broken this game in half. Enjoy your frustrating games. No pun intended.

Edited by ManusDei, 12 February 2018 - 03:19 PM.

#14 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:42 PM

A friend running Win 10 was having low FPS issues recently.
He was told to increase CPU priority for mwo.exe.
This helped and increased his frame rate.

I would also delete the shaders\cache folder as stuff in the Saved Games folder may not have be removed during the uninstall.
Uninstalls are rarely perfect and stuff in the Saved games folder is more like profile information than the game files, thus they may have not been touched. Dodge shader cache can cause a lot of FPS problems.
So delete the shader cache folder again and restart the game.

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 12 February 2018 - 04:44 PM.

#15 Variant1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 11:33 AM

ye i noticed that loading maps takes a bit longer. The first startup of the day takes 3+ minutes but after that it sort of gets faster. Also they still havent fixed a few server issues for the 10% of us that get random server connection loss

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users