27 replies to this topic

#1 Arle Vox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 112 posts
  • LocationNorth America West

Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:57 PM

Greeting fellow Mechwarriors! Feyd's Irregulars will be hosting a casual competitive event for (semi) new players to get more of a footing into the game.We plan to host many more such events (both internally and externally) in the future, and have decided to start these with a kickoff event dubbed the 'Champion's Cup'.

Now the rules for this, our first Champion's Cup, are quite simple (ENTRY TO THE COMPETITION IS FREE OF CHARGE):
(1) Players will be dueling in 1v1 matches in a variety of locations (not only the Colosseum)
(2) The opposing sides of the duels will be piloting the SAME mech.
- This means the mechs being piloted are in the current list of TRIAL mechs.
- The mechs being piloted will both be using the stock builds for the mechs. NO MODIFICATIONS FROM THIS BUILD WILL BE ALLOWED
- Enhancements for these mechs will be ignored for the match (typically you will be battling in a 'mech that you do not currently own)
(3) Winners from each of these matches will advance to the next round of matches, and so on.
NEW RULE: As a possible contender you will need to have your Tier showing in your post to compete. You will be matched with another competitor based on this ranking.

PRIZES: The winner of this competition will be gifted a Champion mech of his/her choosing (chosen from the list below:
- The following 'mechs CAN be chosen as a reward:
SDR-5K(C),
JR7-F(C),
FS9-S(C),
RVN-3L(C),
ACH-Prime(C),
MLX-Prime(C),
PNT-10K(C),
JR7-IIC(C),
CDA-2A(C),
BJ-1(C),
HBK-4P(C),
CN9-A(C),
ENF-4R(C),
WVR-6K(C),
SHD-2H(C),
KTO-18(C),
GRF-1S(C),
TBT-7M(C),
VND-1AA(C),
SHC-Prime(C),
CRB-27B(C),
HBK-IIC(C),
DRG-5N(C),
QKD-4G(C),
JM6-A(C),
CPLT-A1(C),
TDR-9SE(C),
ON1-K(C),
GHR-5H(C),
ON1-IIC-A(C),
STK-3F(C),
VTR-9S(C),
ZEU-6T(C)

RESTRICTIONS: I had originally thought up this event as a 'new player' event, so to be considered as a competitor you must be fairly new to the game. ( < 2yrs )

------------------------
As an aside, and as usual, anyone who wants to join the Feyd's Irregulars mercenary unit is welcome to message me both here and in game to be granted an invite.
------------------------

PLEASE post here if you are interested in battling for the Cup. Please keep in mind that I am GMT-7, and the competition will run throughout the day on a Saturday or Sunday (or both, depending on the number of you). You will be messaged regarding the date and time (GMT-7 time) that your competition will take place.

**EDIT**
An addition to the rules as stated above: Games that end without either contestant being eliminated will be run a second time in another location with different 'mechs. If, in this second trial, the game ends in a draw both parties will be considered to be eliminated from the contest. Appeals to this decision can be made by messaging me here on the forums.

Also: entered contestants, their pairings, and results of each battle will be added to this post. I will emphasize that this event is free to enter, no entry fees will be collected and nothing is expected of you (other than showing up for your match).

COMPETITORS
--------------------
- DaVinci761st
- rookiebob
- Le Chuck

Edited by Arle Vox, 27 February 2018 - 09:36 AM.

#2 Spare Parts Bin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:45 PM

Very interesting and worthy of more thought. I need to take a look at Feyd's Irregulars.

#3 DaVinci761st

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:05 PM

I just started playing 2 to 3 weeks ago and this sounds fun; so, I am game.

#4 Arle Vox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:07 AM

*BUMP*
C'mon guys, it won't happen unless I can find enough people to compete. I would have thought more newbies would jump on the chance for a free mech and mechbay!

Edited by Arle Vox, 13 February 2018 - 07:08 AM.

#5 Darrious Quinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 244 posts
  • LocationUS East Coast

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:08 AM

I think this is a great idea, however there is a flaw on how to enforce "new players" only. My alt account is T3 and only a few months old... but odds are I'd perform a little better then a typical t3, even in a trial. How will you insure proper enrollment or will it just be honor system?

I do love the trial mech restriction though, good move there. Keep the meta out of it.
Rewards are fair. Free mechs are always nice and some of the Champ mechs are worth it. Considering you are offering a choice from any of them is pretty generous. The ON1-IIC is worth a lot more then the spider.

Try reaching out to Tina, Paul or the NGNG guys to get it into the community spotlight at least. Awareness will improve participation. Maybe if they get involved they can facilitate the event or boost your prize resources.

Never hurts to ask and your idea is a good one.

#6 Arle Vox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:30 AM

View PostDarrious Quinn, on 13 February 2018 - 08:08 AM, said:

I think this is a great idea, however there is a flaw on how to enforce "new players" only. My alt account is T3 and only a few months old... but odds are I'd perform a little better then a typical t3, even in a trial. How will you insure proper enrollment or will it just be honor system?

I do love the trial mech restriction though, good move there. Keep the meta out of it.
Rewards are fair. Free mechs are always nice and some of the Champ mechs are worth it. Considering you are offering a choice from any of them is pretty generous. The ON1-IIC is worth a lot more then the spider.

Try reaching out to Tina, Paul or the NGNG guys to get it into the community spotlight at least. Awareness will improve participation. Maybe if they get involved they can facilitate the event or boost your prize resources.

Never hurts to ask and your idea is a good one.

In truth there's really no way to know for sure that players participating are new. The honor system is all I can do because anyone can spin up an alt account at a moments notice. I mean, if anyone does spin up an alt just to participate then you're a donkey and I hate you. That's all I'll say about that.

And thanks for the suggestion, I will try to reach out to some people for more exposure.

EDIT: You'll need to show your Tier in the forum post (which I'm fairly certain happens by default), and will be matched to other competitors accordingly. The initial post will be edited in respect to this change.

Edited by Arle Vox, 13 February 2018 - 11:32 AM.

#7 rookiebob

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:35 PM

can i join?

#8 DFM

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 261 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:39 PM

I'd be interested if I qualify.

I started ~christmas time and I just hit tier 3 solidly last week.

#9 Arle Vox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:11 PM

View Postrookiebob, on 13 February 2018 - 02:35 PM, said:

can i join?

You can join rookiebob, provided that you disclose your current Tier ranking (do so in your forum profile settings, I believe)

View PostDFM, on 13 February 2018 - 02:39 PM, said:

I'd be interested if I qualify.

I started ~christmas time and I just hit tier 3 solidly last week.

You do indeed quality DFM, but only if we can get more Tier 3 rookies in this competition.

#10 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:37 AM

I'd offer to join to help bloat numbers, since I'm tier three, but something tells me that wouldn't be too fair. I'd honestly suggest getting everyone already signed up and everyone high tier in your friends list to mention it in quickplay so as to reach more of those new players who never check the forums.

~Leone.

#11 Arle Vox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 112 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:29 AM

We now have 2 competitors! I was hoping for more by now, but beggers can't be choosers, right?
So this now puts a timeline on the event. Registration to compete will be open until midnight (GMT-7) on February 23, and after that I'll start negotiating match times with the participants. If you know anyone who's new to the game and might be interested in winning free stuff, send them this way.

The exact format of the tournament will not be decided until contestants are finalized.

#12 Spare Parts Bin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:54 PM

View PostArle Vox, on 14 February 2018 - 11:29 AM, said:

We now have 2 competitors! I was hoping for more by now, but beggers can't be choosers, right?
So this now puts a timeline on the event. Registration to compete will be open until midnight (GMT-7) on February 23, and after that I'll start negotiating match times with the participants. If you know anyone who's new to the game and might be interested in winning free stuff, send them this way.

The exact format of the tournament will not be decided until contestants are finalized.

Sorry mate my schedule is trashed right now, so I won't be able to participate.

#13 DaVinci761st

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 16 February 2018 - 02:39 PM

@Arle Vox: Not sure how the other participants feel, but if you have trouble finding new players to participate, I don't mind going up against some of the more veteran players either or players one would not consider new.

#14 Zh0u

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 393 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:23 PM

Sad new players don't grab this excellent opportunity.

#15 Arle Vox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 112 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:31 PM

*BUMP*

I'm still trying to get some more folks involved here. I haven't lost hope for a full ledger of contestants.

View PostDaVinci761st, on 16 February 2018 - 02:39 PM, said:

@Arle Vox: Not sure how the other participants feel, but if you have trouble finding new players to participate, I don't mind going up against some of the more veteran players either or players one would not consider new.

With that in mind (I'll speak with rookiebob about this when I get a chance) I am extending the field immediately to all players who have started playing within the last year or two, and if you're older to the game than that then send me a message here or in game and I'll consider your appeal. The games will launch no matter what in a week. You have a week to make your entry to the competition known here; a free champion mech awaits the victor!

I absolutely love the fact that the announcement for SolarisVII came out today as well. I will absolutely be hosting more of these games in the Solaris arena, and I'm ecstatic to get that moving. I will be setting up a site to publish information regarding these championships, their contestants, the victors, and the spoils. More on these events will be made known through the Competitive Play or the Merc Corps forums when the time comes.

Edited by Arle Vox, 16 February 2018 - 11:06 PM.

#16 Pocket_Aces

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:56 PM

Also try the Steam forums.

#17 raidarr

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 08:09 AM

Been around for quite a while (just haven't posted much), but I've always been best in lights, never had great aim, tend to stick with quirky things and pack a rather thick layer of rust compared to last time I did anything.

So, if you need numbers for tier 3 and run out of folks, I'll throw my tier out in the open and maybe time can be found for this. Otherwise, I'm hardly new, just a possible person :P

#18 Arle Vox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 112 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 09:34 AM

View PostPocket_Aces, on 16 February 2018 - 10:56 PM, said:

Also try the Steam forums.

This was a good idea, and I've made a post on Steam regarding the tournament BUT this is the last time any of these events will be advertised on Steam. Further events will ONLY be shown on the forums here and I am currently developing a small website to advertise them.

#19 Arle Vox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 112 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 02:38 PM

*BUMP*
Last day for entry to this tournament will be on Friday February 23. After Friday no more applicants will be accepted and these duels will be scheduled with participants.

#20 Le Chuck

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:10 AM

I'm in

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users