Victory! The Charger And Hatamoto Finally Made It! Thank You All!

BattleMechs

269 replies to this topic

#101 Will9761

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 09:24 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 22 February 2018 - 01:59 AM, said:

I hope they give it some good HP inflation. 5 energy on an 80 tonner is kinda anemic.

Yeah, hopefully, it will get the Banshee treatment when it comes out. Remember how everyone thought about how bad that mech would be until the hardpoints came in? But I think the Charger is fine for now.

Update: The Hatamoto-Chi now has 256 votes.

#102 evilauthor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 519 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 09:44 AM

What I want to see is the Charger having some kind of mobility bonus, maybe with unnerfed engine desync so that it feels more like a heavy or medium when it moves. This would play into the lore that the Charger was designed as an 80 ton scout.

The superior mobility then could be balanced by otherwise meh hard points and quirks. The Charger may be fast and nimble, but pays for it by sacrificing firepower and toughness.

That said, it still has the max armor values of an 80 ton mech. And of course the variants that drop mobility for firepower play more like your standard assault mechs.

#103 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 22 February 2018 - 10:36 AM

View Postevilauthor, on 22 February 2018 - 09:44 AM, said:

What I want to see is the Charger having some kind of mobility bonus, maybe with unnerfed engine desync so that it feels more like a heavy or medium when it moves. This would play into the lore that the Charger was designed as an 80 ton scout.

The superior mobility then could be balanced by otherwise meh hard points and quirks. The Charger may be fast and nimble, but pays for it by sacrificing firepower and toughness.

That said, it still has the max armor values of an 80 ton mech. And of course the variants that drop mobility for firepower play more like your standard assault mechs.

I'd lean more towards medium mech in terms of agility (some where around Wolverine level agility)... I mean in the 3025 era, the Charger was faster than most IS heavies and as fast as man IS mediums... hell it made IS lights gun-shy to get near it, since it was so fast...

#104 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 11:46 AM

Update: The Hatamoto-Chi now has 257 votes.

#105 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 03:07 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 22 February 2018 - 01:59 AM, said:

I hope they give it some good HP inflation. 5 energy on an 80 tonner is kinda anemic.

I'd expect something like 7E or so, with the arms getting 1E/2E and the torso getting 2E per location.

The 3050 version would be more likely something like 4E/3M. And the non-400 engine versions would be all over the place, but not hardpoint-starved. It's a chassis that the original's horrible design overshadows the many, many good variants that were produced off of it until the Hatamoto line reboots the thing's reputation to some extent.

#106 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:01 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 22 February 2018 - 10:36 AM, said:

I'd lean more towards medium mech in terms of agility (some where around Wolverine level agility)... I mean in the 3025 era, the Charger was faster than most IS heavies and as fast as man IS mediums... hell it made IS lights gun-shy to get near it, since it was so fast...

It was even faster than many mediums, especially the trooper Mechs with their 4/6 movement (Centurion, Vindicator, Enforcer, Hunchback, Black Jack etc.). Superior mobility should be the Charger 1A1's prime advantage. In that case I could even work without hardpoint inflation. I mean, yes, laser vomit would be best for this kind of Mech, but I can see myself working with HPPCs or ERPPCs plus backup if I have too. Snapshot after snapshot...

Oh, and the CGR-2A2 might turn out to be a mean brawler or MRM carrier.

The Charger is a cavalryman's small dream in MWO. In TT the Spartan is a lot better but in MWO the greater variety probably makes the Charger a better choice (unfortunately so... I like the Spartan).

#107 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:12 PM

I can see the Charger SA5 turning up as a loyalty variant someday. I mean it is the only variant that can offer MASC. It may be slow, but matches the same burst speed of the other Chargers while using MASC. It could be interesting.

#108 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:43 PM

View PostWill9761, on 22 February 2018 - 04:12 PM, said:

I can see the Charger SA5 turning up as a loyalty variant someday. I mean it is the only variant that can offer MASC. It may be slow, but matches the same burst speed of the other Chargers while using MASC. It could be interesting.

Not to mention being a Battlemech, it can be upengined. Even with a lower base engine cap, that may let it crank itself up for brief periods to exceed them.

#109 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:26 PM

Update: The Hatamoto-Chi now has 258 votes.

#110 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:35 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 22 February 2018 - 04:01 PM, said:

It was even faster than many mediums, especially the trooper Mechs with their 4/6 movement (Centurion, Vindicator, Enforcer, Hunchback, Black Jack etc.). Superior mobility should be the Charger 1A1's prime advantage. In that case I could even work without hardpoint inflation. I mean, yes, laser vomit would be best for this kind of Mech, but I can see myself working with HPPCs or ERPPCs plus backup if I have too. Snapshot after snapshot...

Oh, and the CGR-2A2 might turn out to be a mean brawler or MRM carrier.

The Charger is a cavalryman's small dream in MWO. In TT the Spartan is a lot better but in MWO the greater variety probably makes the Charger a better choice (unfortunately so... I like the Spartan).

Some where in my files for TT, I've got some custom charger variants that are extrapolated versions of the classic versions with civil war era tech... they are hella nasty... Like the 4A1 (an updated 1A1) with LFE, Endo, ERSL, MASC and a hatchet... good times with that one...

#111 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:13 PM

Update: The Hatamoto-Chi now has 259 votes.

#112 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 01:20 PM

Updates: The Charger now has 145 votes and the Hatamoto-Chi has 260 votes.

#113 evilauthor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 519 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 05:17 PM

View PostWill9761, on 24 February 2018 - 01:20 PM, said:

Updates: The Charger now has 145 votes and the Hatamoto-Chi has 260 votes.

Do people not like the Charger? The Charger is an iconic mech, the assault counterpart to the Urbanmech. Where the Urbie had an assault's speed in a light mech package, the Charger had a light/medium's mobility in an Assault package.

#114 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 05:26 PM

View Postevilauthor, on 24 February 2018 - 05:17 PM, said:

Do people not like the Charger? The Charger is an iconic mech, the assault counterpart to the Urbanmech. Where the Urbie had an assault's speed in a light mech package, the Charger had a light/medium's mobility in an Assault package.

Sadly most people look at the 1A1 charger and laugh at the armament, but with melee attacks and charges the 1A1 is actually really beastly in 3025.

#115 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 05:57 PM

View Postevilauthor, on 24 February 2018 - 05:17 PM, said:

The first impression the Charger gives people is a reputation for being nothing more than a gimmick.

Few look past it to the quite good variants.

#116 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 06:55 PM

View PostBrain Cancer, on 24 February 2018 - 05:57 PM, said:

The first impression the Charger gives people is a reputation for being nothing more than a gimmick.

Few look past it to the quite good variants.

QFT

Whenever someone looks at the prime variant of the Charger and reads the text, it gets derided as a LoLmech that no one wants to use. Anyone who has resources like MekLab or looked at its variants posted on Sarna, knows that it actually does have some good variants. But because of its status, people often choose to overlook the Charger's true value.

But speaking of that mech, the Charger now has 146 votes.

Edited by Will9761, 24 February 2018 - 07:54 PM.

#117 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 09:45 PM

As much as I love seeing the Hatamoto get some love on the poll, I do think that good ol' Charger-san needs the same type of love as its little brother. It's not a bad mech, it is just that the 1A1 variant has a bad rep that taints the mech as a whole.

#118 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 12:39 PM

Update: The Charger now has 147 votes.

#119 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:23 PM

Update: The Charger now has 148 votes.

#120 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 01:57 PM

Updates: The Charger now has 149 votes and the Hatamoto-Chi has 261 votes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users