Rework Psr To Not Work Like An Xp Bar

2 replies to this topic

Poll: PSR: a glorified XP bar? (14 member(s) have cast votes)

Should PSR be reworked from an XP bar to a real measure of skill?

1. yes (12 votes [85.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 85.71%

2. no (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. other (describe below) (2 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

4. I only play Comp and/or FP but I support this suggestion (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:22 AM

Currently, PSR works like an XP bar: the more matches you play, the higher it goes due to the inherent positive bias.

This causes tiers to be about playtime and not about actual player skill, which in turn leads to many cases of highly suboptimal matchmaking in quickplay queue.

Surely, reworking PSR to be more about player skill and less about playtime would lead to a better game experience for all tiers?

I won't add any for now as not to influence the poll, but if you have suggestions on how to improve PSR calculations, please add them below.

#2 yrrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 221 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:11 AM

Rather than always having an upward bias, it should have a bias towards tier 3. The further from tier three, the stronger the bias.

For example, a tier 4/5 pilot would still have the same upward bias they do right now. However, at tier 1/2, players would have a slight downward bias. Tier three would have a no bias built in.

The idea here is that a majority of the average players hovers closer to tier 3. Getting to and maintaining tier 2 and 3 requires higher win/loss ratios and/or match scores.

There is probably also something to be said about how a group's combined PSR works, as well.

#3 Guffrus

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 01:33 PM

Ok so i voted yes but with the proviso or warning that it would be considerably better to leave it well alone unless you are entirely sure that your scoring system is going to be an improvement.

One of the problems with the scoring system which is probably completely overlooked is that the focus is probably on winning and I actually dont think that is how it should be scored, because i dont think that that is at all important.

When i play a match i dont care, at all about the result, what i care about is a good gaming experience.

I dont like fast nascar suicide charge matches and maybe that is a community divide where there is no wrong or right its just a personal preference.

What i am looking for are matches where people are actually playing the roles their mechs were built for atm in far too many matches its just a big cluster hug, everyone balls up and runs around and when that happens it makes large portions of the game content irrelevant and the scope for meaningful team interactions is greatly diminished.

I want to see scouting and spotting and maneovering etc I want the game to end in a brawl and if that has to run rings around a rock I can probably live with that but what makes me unhappy is not being given the oppurtunity to enjoy the other parts of the game before that happens.

You know, what might be much easier is just to put a little toggle option on the match maker which selects a preference of game play style, patience vs murderball or however you want to label it.

Then people will be much more likely to be put into games which they will enjoy, might be interesting to see if there is a pattern to who likes what aswell.

Guffrus

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users