11 replies to this topic

#1 Internal Obedience XIII-omega

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Decimator
  • The Decimator
  • 235 posts
  • LocationHPG LXXIII-omega

Posted 01 February 2018 - 03:19 PM

So i am having a hard time deciding on the RAM i need for my X299. While they are hefty in price and high at the moment, it is really hard which of the two brands to buy. Seems to me that CAS is the factor for better performance. I read somewhere that 3200 is the sweet spot but are there any benefits from the right rating? Like 3600?

https://www.newegg.c...50%5E20-236-250

Halp!

#2 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:43 AM

I dunno what your planning to do with this system ... but if your not sure which RAM to get, 128 GB is probably going to be overkill .... because if you dont have something thats actually going to use a good portion of it, its probably going to lay dormant ....

someone will probably tell you that the two trident kits are relatively similar .... and the same with the corsair ones ... under them heat spreaders, they are *PROBABLY* the same memory chips, from different batches at different times, but their probably all about the same .... having ones that specifically say compatible with the chipset youve got might help you throw potential issues back in the faces of whatever company you buy it from, assuming it doesnt work golden ....

recently I was fooling with a friends new'ish craptop, running DDR4 @ 2400 mhz ... and it gave pretty similar benchmark results to what I get from running my ram 50% faster, yeah ... was a bit ****** that day ... sorry to the people I backstabbed in tier5 over it ... anyway ....

if you get the faster ones, you'd almost certainly be able to run them at the same timings as the lower ones ... but they are 'guaranteed' to run faster than the other ones .... whereas the lower ones might not run faster ....

#3 Internal Obedience XIII-omega

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Decimator
  • The Decimator
  • 235 posts
  • LocationHPG LXXIII-omega

Posted 02 February 2018 - 03:24 PM

Well other than the occasional game play of MWO and Battletech, i wanted to get into 3d rendering. I've noticed that the lower the timing, the better. Say for example, 14-14-14-39 vs 18-19-19-39. Would such timing be that noticeable? And of with lower timing the higher the cost is. I wanna try to stay under 1800 dollars as possible but knowing the market it wont get better any time soon.

I'm fairly new to understanding the science in all this but i know how to build my computers. It's the RAM that usually has me up in arms trying to find the right one to fit my needs.

Current components:

#4 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 06:19 PM

The lower-latency G.Skill TridentZ RGB kits are brand new. Very good kits, too. I don't think you can go wrong with them, but I'd get a lesser amount if you "wanted to get into 3D rendering" because that denotes you aren't doing it let alone doing it hardcore yet. No need to go explosive with the current prices until you -need- that much, and by the time you figure out you do the prices will have gone down.

#5 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 February 2018 - 07:14 PM

in terms of the timings, essentially they say how long the memory controller has to wait for each operation ... the CPU is 'wasting' less cycles waiting for the memory to do the next thing it wants essentially .... depending on the actual workload, the average user wouldnt notice the speed increase between the two .... but ... better is better ... and less time wasted is what its all about .... but generally, your talking about a difference in nanoseconds per operation .... and 1 ns adds up over a million operations ...

my kit is 'rated' for 4000 mhz @ 19-23-23-45 .... but I run it at 3500 mhz @ 16-17-17-39 ... the memory controller on my ryzen gets screwy beyond 3500 .... I've spent time wondering how much better I could have pushed on the 14-14-14-34 kit though .... probably would have gotten me to 3466 @ 12-12-12-30 ... or there abouts (from others results) ... that would be a noticable difference ...

I cant imagine an 'normal' situation where I wouldnt look at 8x4gb, just because, thats still alot .... modelling is about efficiency ... if you jammed so much stuff into a scene that you could get close to filling 128gb of ram, you probably wouldnt want to waste time waiting for that scene to render, because its bloated ...

Edited by NARC BAIT, 02 February 2018 - 07:27 PM.

#6 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 11:27 PM

If your starting out 3D, any gaming rig is fine, bump the ram to 32GB, speeds are not really going to affect it enough to worry about.

If you find 32GB is not enough, look at what you are doing first and whether you need to change your workflow instead.

If you need a more pro machine for mega 3D tasks, then you'd be considering dual Titans perhaps, for their VRAM.

#7 JaegerDjinn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 156 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA,USA

Posted 03 February 2018 - 05:00 AM

View PostxWiredx, on 02 February 2018 - 06:19 PM, said:

The lower-latency G.Skill TridentZ RGB kits are brand new. Very good kits, too. I don't think you can go wrong with them, but I'd get a lesser amount if you "wanted to get into 3D rendering" because that denotes you aren't doing it let alone doing it hardcore yet. No need to go explosive with the current prices until you -need- that much, and by the time you figure out you do the prices will have gone down.

Good too know since I was looking into putting 8x8gb of ram from gskill in my new rig this year.
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz DIMM F4-3600C17Q-32GTZR

#8 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 03 February 2018 - 05:22 AM

Even if you are just getting into 3d renders, it seems the RAM in question is about speed, not I-meed-it-or-it-won't-work... so unless you are expecting to be under the gun to finish renders *fast* it seems to be more on the luxury side of the equation if i am not mistaken.

There is nothing wrong with that, just throwing it out there b/c we often get so caught up with trying to build something amazing that we shoot outselves in the foot financially...

I mean, you are budgeting to eat after purchase right? ;)

Edited by MovinTarget, 03 February 2018 - 05:23 AM.

#9 Lizardman from Hollywood

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 135 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 06:21 AM

Make sure it's Samsung chips. 32gb of 3200 is all you should really need, maybe bump that up to 64gb if you really get into heavy duty workloads. What will help you out more than that is running your tasks on nvme drives. I would save the money from all that expensive ram and buy 3 1tb Samsung 960 evos and a few 1tb ssds. Honestly from everything I've ever read or been told anything over 3600 is just epeen bragging rights.

#10 Burke IV

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 06:36 AM

View PostNARC BAIT, on 02 February 2018 - 08:43 AM, said:

recently I was fooling with a friends new'ish craptop, running DDR4 @ 2400 mhz ... and it gave pretty similar benchmark results to what I get from running my ram 50% faste

Iv got 32g of 3600 in my pc but the board is capped at 2800 unless i overclock it (they didnt advertise that bit :( ) Ill get round to it one day but running the ram slow, you cant really tell.

#11 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 February 2018 - 09:00 AM

View PostBurke IV, on 03 February 2018 - 06:36 AM, said:

Iv got 32g of 3600 in my pc but the board is capped at 2800 unless i overclock it (they didnt advertise that bit Posted Image ) Ill get round to it one day but running the ram slow, you cant really tell.

sounds like you havent done it ... so ... would you even know ? :P
if you manually select an XMP profile in your bios, it should bring it into line, on an intel ... changing ratios and multipliers and stuff ... you might notice a few miliseconds difference here and there ... guess it depends to a degree how nitpicky and OCD each of us happens to be ...

#12 Burke IV

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:59 PM

Its one of the asus gaming boards, I forget which but it was advertised as just let the board do it all for you. It turned out to be totally unable to set itself up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users