Btech1 - 30 Year Anniversary

7 replies to this topic

#1 zugnish

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 03:00 AM

2018 will be the 30th anniversary of the release of Infocom/Westwood's Battletech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception - the first ever Battletech video game, featuring a total of maybe 10 different mech designs and a phoenix hawk LAM that you never get to use, but could win a miniature of if you finished the game.

What's the chance of some kind of commemorative event?

Those who remember it would recall the rush of betting your life's savings on Baker Pharmaceuticals (out of the three stocks listed on the comstar stock exchange, this was the highly lucrative volatility play). Or getting your Locust hotted up at the local mech-it lube. Or suiting up in ablative body armour to go incinerate Kurita soldiers with an inferno missile launcher. Or meeting Katrina Steiner for some reason.

Not to mention the greatest thrill the game had to offer - hunting the most elusive prey in the inner sphere - the solitary urbanmech! (Or releasing it from captivity in the brutal starport arena)

It's probably a bit much to ask for the Chameleon to be added just for this, let alone the wasp or stinger. Instead I'm envisioning quick play matches consisting of nothing but locusts with exactly one urbie and one commando per side. For authenticity, the urbie will look exactly like a locust as well, and the sound of the mech starting up will be played after the animation, not during.

For those who weren't there, you can familiarize yourself with the history of the future of war below:

And for those who were there, but always wondered what exactly the Chameleon was supposed to look like since it was never depicted in any aspect of the game despite being the most powerful mech that everyone used for the whole thing:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Chameleon

(PS - 2019 will be mw1's 30 year anniversary.)

#2 Spare Parts Bin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 23 February 2018 - 05:24 PM

I never knew this game existed. The Chameleon Mech would be a great design to add to MWO as would the PPC Capacitor.

Edited by Spare Parts Bin, 23 February 2018 - 06:02 PM.

#3 zugnish

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 03:20 AM

I didn't know about the PPC capacitor - I think that must be post 3057 or wherever we are up to now.

More gaming history - these games were developed by Westwood before they went on to create Dune 2 and then the Command & Conquer series. Btech1's follow up was arguably the great grandfather of all RTS games. It also provided an early simulation what it would feel like to get your medium mech lance shredded by light clan mechs.

Series of brutal robotic de-pantsings begins at about 38:39 in the video below. And continues for about 20 minutes.

#4 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:33 PM

Thank you for bring back a few memories, including at how bad I was at playing that game. While I enjoyed it, let's just say as a kid, I got my backside handed to me upon several occasions.

#5 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 05:15 PM

I thought the current time line was 3068.

#6 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 02:34 PM

30 Years....yes an event would be nice. More mechs to stomp around in.Posted Image

#7 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 06:28 PM

View PostKalimaster, on 09 April 2018 - 02:34 PM, said:

30 Years....yes an event would be nice. More mechs to stomp around in.Posted Image

...or Omnimechs.

#8 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 08:04 AM

I'm sorry but at the time of BT 1--as my faction sig indicates, House Stiener, I would not be able to use Clan Tech, not until I sent in a team of ninja's and stole a couple of Omnimech. Then, as in lore, I would blast them with their own equipment. Until then, I'll be in my Stalker......singing off key "LRM's away my boys, LRM's away....".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users