#1 Christophe Ivanov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 385 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 22 February 2018 - 11:46 AM

Hey Folks,
I bought the Black Lanner as I wanted another medium mech other than what we already have on the Clan side of things. At first, I was not impressed with the load outs but thought I could mess around (Who doesn't anyway?) and see if I could find something worth playing with.

Well I took the Campion version I got in the initial $40.00 pack and ended up with 2 Large ER lasers and 2 double heat sinks and 1 medium ER Laser. Turns out this worked pretty good but heat was a bit too much to handle for my taste. So, deleted the Medium ER Laser and added a double heat sink and heat is much more manageable. Maybe not the best setup, but still experimenting too Posted Image

After learning to use this mech, I started to garner some kills and was consistent over several matches to my surprise. In my opinion, its got good speed, decent armor and using the lasers right, I do ok so far.

Still learning more about this one, but s far, not too bad.

Edited by Christophe Ivanov, 22 February 2018 - 11:47 AM.

#2 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 22 February 2018 - 11:48 AM

It's not too good, either.

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:28 PM

The Blanner-E certainly has the potential to be a good sniper/harasser but that is mostly limited to FP. In QP there are far better mechs to bring.

#4 Rayden Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 759 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:32 PM

View PostChristophe Ivanov, on 22 February 2018 - 11:46 AM, said:

Hey Folks,
I bought the Black Lanner as I wanted another medium mech other than what we already have on the Clan side of things. At first, I was not impressed with the load outs but thought I could mess around (Who doesn't anyway?) and see if I could find something worth playing with.

Well I took the Campion version I got in the initial $40.00 pack and ended up with 2 Large ER lasers and 2 double heat sinks and 1 medium ER Laser. Turns out this worked pretty good but heat was a bit too much to handle for my taste. So, deleted the Medium ER Laser and added a double heat sink and heat is much more manageable. Maybe not the best setup, but still experimenting too Posted Image

After learning to use this mech, I started to garner some kills and was consistent over several matches to my surprise. In my opinion, its got good speed, decent armor and using the lasers right, I do ok so far.

Still learning more about this one, but s far, not too bad.

You could also run a Cheetah with 2ERLL. No need for 55t.

#5 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:34 PM

View PostRayden Wolf, on 22 February 2018 - 12:32 PM, said:

You could also run a Cheetah with 2ERLL. No need for 55t.

Or Shadow Cat, Puma, Uller, Arctic Wolf, even a Viper if you're feeling like it. Actually let's just sum it up and say literally every Clan medium and light except the Piranha or Mist Lynx.

Edited by FupDup, 22 February 2018 - 12:35 PM.

#6 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:55 PM

View PostFupDup, on 22 February 2018 - 12:34 PM, said:

Or Shadow Cat, Puma, Uller, Arctic Wolf, even a Viper if you're feeling like it. Actually let's just sum it up and say literally every Clan medium and light except the Piranha or Mist Lynx.

You can absolutely run 2 ERLLs on a PIR

#7 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:58 PM

View PostJackalBeast, on 22 February 2018 - 12:55 PM, said:

I guess you technically can, but the chassis isn't very suited for it (long facetime lasers on a glass mech). And of course, there's the fact that MG spam on the Piranha will overshadow literally anything else you can mount on the chassis...

#8 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:59 PM

View PostJackalBeast, on 22 February 2018 - 12:55 PM, said:

You could, but you have to strip off a ton (well just over a ton) of armour to do it...

Wow that really puts the Lanner in perspective, it can run a build that can be replicated on a 20t mech...

Spoiler

Edited by Metus regem, 22 February 2018 - 01:01 PM.

#9 Dark Wooki33 IIC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Demon
  • The Demon
  • 379 posts
  • LocationBlessed Saxony

Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:59 PM

View PostFupDup, on 22 February 2018 - 12:34 PM, said:

What Jackal said and a MLX can run it as well, after some stripping, while using the 2energy sidetorso.

#10 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:00 PM

View PostFupDup, on 22 February 2018 - 12:58 PM, said:

I guess you technically can, but the chassis isn't very suited for it (long facetime lasers on a glass mech). And of course, there's the fact that MG spam on the Piranha will overshadow literally anything else you can mount on the chassis...

No doubt. 1.29 heat efficiency and the stare of C-ERLLs, no bueno.

But it is feasible. drop down to a XL 170. 137.7 kph standard, and stripping arms out. that's about it.

#11 Dark Wooki33 IIC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Demon
  • The Demon
  • 379 posts
  • LocationBlessed Saxony

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:02 PM

You guys really need to learn to mechlab. Strip the head and the arms and you can easily mount 2erll in high mounts

#12 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:03 PM

View PostDark Wooki33 IIC, on 22 February 2018 - 01:02 PM, said:

You guys really need to learn to mechlab. Strip the head and the arms and you can easily mount 2erll in high mounts

I wasn't doing it to be an actual build, just seeing what would have to be given up to do it.

#13 denAirwalkerrr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:37 PM

Mech has two gimmicks (aside from largest cockpit hitboxes in game): MASC and global +10% range. Tonnage not enough even for SRMs without artemis so only viable options are MG+lasers up to ERLL/HLL, ERLL/HLL - too heavy, MGs naaah because lack of hardpoints so 6 meds+ECM on the top for maximum utilization of both gimmicks.

Posted Image

#14 Cyzxxikz

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 02:25 PM

Try it with ppc and 6x smalls, ecm nearly Max armor, and 2 extra sinks

#15 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 02:41 PM

Black Lanner D with a Prime head

ECM
4 Hvy Medium lasers (or ER mediums if you fear some heat)
4 MGs or LMGs (1 ton ammo)
2 SRM4 (2 tons ammo)

Strip 6 points of armor (otherwise max armor) and you have .5 tons for more ammo a LAP or L-TAG

Edited by Lykaon, 22 February 2018 - 02:41 PM.

#16 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 February 2018 - 02:49 PM

It's a decent mech, high-end light firepower and speed married to the durability of a high-end medium. It's not likely to set the competitive scene or CW ablaze, but it will definitely be a decent, funzies ride in solo-QP.

#17 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:04 PM

So far I am liking mine though there really is only a few viable builds.

I run one with 5 x ER ML and 4 x LMG and ECM and one with 6 x ER SL and 1 x HLL without ECM. Both are averaging around 400-500 damage a match.

Now sure you can run similar builds or other builds that are just as powerful on smaller, lighter mechs that can run near the same speed or maybe even a bit faster but they are alot more fragile and then someone managed to tag them with a Dual Gauss, things tend to pop off them in a spectacular fashion. The Blanner isn't near as vulnerable to that sort of thing as it can take some pretty hefty hits and keep on trucking. Also it is pretty spectacular to run down a light mech and watch him go into panic mode when he realizes he cannot either shake you or outlast you in a DPS war due to how much more armor you have than him.

Don't get me wrong, it has it limitations and flaws but overall I think with a few select builds, it is actually at the very least above average and perhaps more importantly, fun to play.

#18 Christophe Ivanov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 385 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:36 PM

Hahaha, I knew folks would come out with alternatives and that's ok as I respect you all's opinions :) Yeah it's not the best, not the worst either, but sometimes I like a challenge and this mech can do that. Same as my Dire Wolfs I normally play in. There is one Black Lanner that has what? 55 DPS? I think it's got like 6 med ERs and some short range missiles.
The way I see it, everyone has their opinions about anything and this is why this game can be interesting sometimes. Had we not, it would be one freakin boring match after match.

#19 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:39 PM

They seem to take a hit pretty well. Feel like if I were shooting a Shadowcat it would have popped but the Lanner keeps on truckin.

#20 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:44 PM

View PostChristophe Ivanov, on 22 February 2018 - 04:36 PM, said:

There is one Black Lanner that has what? 55 DPS?

...I think you mean a 55 alpha, 55 DPS is beyond insane.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users