Unable To Launch; Side-By-Side Config Issue

8 replies to this topic

#1 Tarrow

Rookie

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:33 PM

I'm totally stumped here, hope someone can help.

When I try to launch MWO the portal crashes and there is a popup that reads:

"Failed to launch C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Bin64\MWOClient.exe - The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail"

Here are the details from the event viewer:

"Faulting application name: MWO Portal.exe, version: 1.0.63.0, time stamp: 0x59dfd9e0
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.23915, time stamp: 0x59b94abb
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000c54f
Faulting process id: 0xfc0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d3ac53c6b7d55e
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MWO Portal\MWO Portal.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 13c3aae9-1847-11e8-b4b5-74d02b3044b5"

I have tried every fix I can find for side-by-side errors; I've uninstalled/reinstalled .net framework and all C++ redistributables, I've reinstalled DirectX, did a total reinstall of MWO, The MWO repair tool finds no errors in game files and chkdsk finds no errors elsewhere.

No other programs appear to be affected by this error. PGI Support has been very responsive but I think they are as stumped as I am.

Any help is appreciated.

-Tarrow

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,659 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:25 PM

First, you said you uninstalled and installed MWO. But did you also uninstall/.reinstalled MWO Portal itself?

Have you run a full antivirus scan? What antivirus program are you running and have you check its history?

And on the net framework, did you install/reinstall both x64 and x86?

And just for clarification, the game is patched, correct?

For testing, drill down to your Mechwarrior Online directory to the bin32 and run MWOClient.exe. Note if there is any issue on it loading up, etc. Close out of game and head for the bin64 folder and run that MWOClient.exe. Report any issues.

Next, I would suggest uninstalling both MWO Portal and Mechwarrior Online and deleting the Mechwarrior Online in the saved games. Then install MWO Portal then Mechwarrior Online in a different directory instead of the default, something like c:\games.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 23 February 2018 - 08:44 PM.

#3 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:43 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 23 February 2018 - 08:25 PM, said:

Then install MWO Portal then Mechwarrior Online in a different directory instead of the default, something like c:\games.

More than that, they should make sure their "Games" Directory Permissions are set to "Everyone > Full Control" (and nothing else) without Inheritance from Higher Directory Levels, but set so that Subfolders will Inherit this Alternate Permissions Setup, so that there is a far reduced chance of a hiccup with trying to Launch anything after the Reinstall. Further, when Installing, set the Initial Install Path to something along the lines of "C:\Games\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online", so that all of the MWO Items are basically self-contained in one space. :huh:

~Mr. D. V. "providing details on how to try and prevent a lot of problems" Devnull

#4 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 February 2018 - 05:14 AM

oh, your in for a doozy ... ive seen SXS issues a few times, with differing causes, and the resolutions tend to never be simple ... so firstly, how invested are you in that particular copy of windows .... reinstalling mechwarrior wont magically fix it .... but reinstalling windows will give you a working SXS configuration again .... for reference, SXS is 'side by side', and its one of those bits of windows in plain view that no one ever sees, by design, its actually been present since windows vista, and rarely goes bad of its own accord ...

I've only even seen the configuration become broken in two instances, the first, is pirated software, 'rips' mostly that use weird methods to make games believe they are legit .... the second is viruses, which may or may not have been bundled with the first category, but seriously, theres no shortage of malicious websites out there .... with alot of forums being easy targets for injection techniques, alot of the times if you get one of these nasty pieces of kit, windows update will break, and your antivirus will quietly become ineffective, and may even have some of its components replaced ....

there is an alternate way to update, with the repairtool that bypasses the portal ... but I have to track it down ...

#5 Tarrow

Rookie

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:27 AM

Tarl Cabot, D V Devnull, and Narc Bait; Thanks for the replies. Still no luck on repairs and no clue to the cause.

The good news is that I'm not very invested in this copy of windows at all. At this point the nuclear option (windows reinstall) looks like the way to go. Probably should have just done that from the start and saved a week of my life fooling with it. I only use that machine for games and the worst I will suffer is time lost reloading everything.

Hope to see you guys on the battlefield soon.

#6 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,659 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:22 AM

Tis good that you are okay nuking the OS for a fresh install, there are times it is needed. At least two players had to nuke the OS then test the game after each program installation to locate a program that was interfering with the game, allowing it to only run at 720p. Even if the program was not running, a file it had installed would still interfere with MWO. Only by completely uninstalling it would MWO run properly. Another player had a Streaming program that had been updated shortly after MWO update that would cause MWO to crash.

Also consider using Steam since it will also install the necessary programs, dotnet 4.0 (combo x86//x64), Microsoft Visual C++ 2010, both x86 and x64 and June 2010 directx 9c (redistribution package). And those 4 programs are saved in the Steam/MWO folder under CommonRedist folder.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 25 February 2018 - 11:29 AM.

#7 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 26 February 2018 - 02:54 AM

View PostTarrow, on 25 February 2018 - 09:27 AM, said:

Tarl Cabot, D V Devnull, and Narc Bait; Thanks for the replies. Still no luck on repairs and no clue to the cause.

The good news is that I'm not very invested in this copy of windows at all. At this point the nuclear option (windows reinstall) looks like the way to go. Probably should have just done that from the start and saved a week of my life fooling with it. I only use that machine for games and the worst I will suffer is time lost reloading everything.

Hope to see you guys on the battlefield soon.

Hi, Tarrow. Sorry to hear that you had to flatly rebuild that system. I wish we could have helped rescue it, but I get when things are a wreck. I hope your reinstall and the next system existence goes better than the last one. :huh:

A question (and stack of notes) for you: Before you reinstalled Windows, did you at least create a backup file of the old system? If not, your MWO Settings like your Graphics/Audio Configuration and Weapon Groups, as well as any ScreenShots you made, will have been lost. The same can be said of any other games which you played that stored a number of things in regard to your account profiles locally. Also, if you used things like TeamSpeak, your server identifier which allowed people who recognized you to see when you come online, bookmarks, volume adjustments, etc. were all kept locally too. (I must sound like a verbose maniac, but I hate when people lose good data... Sorry.) :(

One extra tip for your next Windows install: Load a powerful AntiVirus and FireWall, don't depend on Micro$oft entirely. While some people may get good mileage, Micro$oft is not enough in many - if not most - situations. ;)

~D. V. "Good luck on starting fresh." Devnull

#8 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:40 AM

he shouldnt need to wipe the drive ... thats only really necessary when youve been defeated by a virus ... usually if you 'install over the top' your old data gets put to the side, and you can just restore the majority of it once you've gotten the system up to speed with a virus scanner etc ... sometimes its during this point that the antivirus actually catches the bad file when you try to move it back into place ...

#9 Tarrow

Rookie

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:10 PM

I'm up and running again! About to hit the the field now.

D V; I did remember to backup my MWO profile and a couple other games' data, but totally forgot about Teamspeak. Oh well.

I don't know if there was a virus of some kind in effect. I let my antivirus lapse a few months ago, thinking that I don't really need it since all i do is game on that machine. Probably should remedy that. Was previously using Bitdefender, and it seemed to work well.

Tarl; now that you mention it, I wonder if there was some conflict between MWO and Fallout 4 STEAM version. Thinking back, I feel like I started having stability issues a few months ago when I got FO4. Currently those are the only two games I've loaded back up, half as an experiment and half because those are all I'm playing recently.

Thanks again for tips guys.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users