11 replies to this topic

#1 MoonShaman

• PipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 20 posts
  • LocationShetland Isles

Posted 24 February 2018 - 03:19 AM

So, I preordered the Black Lanner because I loved the name, look and the early adopter shizz you got.

Same for the Piranha.

However for about 3 - 6 weeks I will find myself singled out- every game by the other team. I'll even have my own team mates "accidentally" shoot out my legs, legs or just "sorry about that" during a match.

I've watched this past 4 - 5 days whole teams break through my team mates just to core me.

My first 8 matches in my Lanners I watched teams single me out and knock out all my weapons. It's pathetic and childish. I've never done it when a new mech is released and I don't preorder. I just play as best I can.

I mean it's enraging when you have to spend ages wracking up XP to max your armour in 5 - 8 mechs just so you have a CHANCE to survive a match.

And then you have your team mates who also do it to you. When the Piranha was released I was often legged by my own team upon deployment and was given a "Oops! Sorry about that."

I don't get it. Everyone has a chance to buy them- and yet people single you out BECAUSE you do it. Up until the last two, I had never preordered a mech, but I support MWO. I LOVE this game, so I'm happy to give money to it, support MWO and it's community.

I also find a wave of American players COME BACK to MWO when one is released as well, it's like there's so much toxicity from people for a new mech.

It's why I didn't play from October until the Piranha was released and all I did for two weeks was lose match, after match and was often the first death, because gods forbid I had preordered a mech (also the Piranha is like wet cardboard kinda squishy). In a month I went from almost hitting tier 3 to almost falling back to tier 5.

Am I being paranoid? Does it just FEEL like I'm being targeted? Is the community that toxic?

Maybe I'm just having a bad week in general. :/

Thanks to any and all who read and reply. Just feels like it's been one of those weeks.

#2 Iain Sumner

• PipPipPip
  • The Star
  • The Star
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 04:24 AM

I never had any similar experience in any match in my MWO career and I got 10000+ matches. This seems to be a very rare (like purple gear, y'know? Posted Image ) case. Sorry to hear that....but the MWO Community is not like that. The MWO community opposes such behavior.

edit: As a tier 4 player you get into matches with people playing their first games in MWO....met some strange behavior there back when I made my second account a few months ago. So better get to Tier 3 soon ;)

Edited by Iain Sumner, 24 February 2018 - 04:29 AM.

#3 HammerMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 24 February 2018 - 04:26 AM

You are in a fast mech. Ahead of teammates in slower rigs. Reticent to move up.
Now they also have poor Target discipline. Shooting dorito. Not confirming taget and cover. So...
The team damage is collateral.
Enemy damage is probably because you're there first and un-moduled.

#4 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,760 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 24 February 2018 - 12:03 PM

A lot of players are also curious about the durability of the new mech, looking for opportunities to take one on. It will pass.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#5 radiv

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 01:21 AM

If you find urself singled out by the enemy team every game then ur placement has to be terrible

#6 Exterminan

• Pip
  • Warrior - Point 2
  • Warrior - Point 2
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:15 AM

If its the enemy team that is focusing on you, agreed with the above poster - they are not even thinking about what mech you are in it sounds like you are just placed such that you are the most easy target. Nobody is going to walk through a firestorm and ignore an entire team just to focus on one mech - whether or not its a preorder.

There is alot of curiosity about them when they first release, people seeing if they are worth purchasing themselves. All the players returning upon release probably are not returning with the sole intent to hunt them down but to either use their own preordered mechs, or get in on the events that often follow a release.

#7 Pocket_Aces

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 103 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 05:02 AM

I've been piloting the Black Lanner and haven't experienced this, however I have with the Piranha, why? Cause they are so damn annoying and will chew your back out if given the chance, I usually target them first as well.

#8 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:45 AM

Never had that experience with any of my preorders

#9 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 03 March 2018 - 10:45 PM

Only experience I ever had that was close was when the MCII came out... Was almost always focussed first by as much of the enemy team as possible. Unfortunately, my team never did want to reciprocate if the enemies had one as well. Led to me sticking to LRMs and staying behind the rest of my team until it was out for MC.

Edited by BTGbullseye, 03 March 2018 - 10:46 PM.

#10 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:58 AM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 03 March 2018 - 10:45 PM, said:

Only experience I ever had that was close was when the MCII came out... Was almost always focussed first by as much of the enemy team as possible. Unfortunately, my team never did want to reciprocate if the enemies had one as well. Led to me sticking to LRMs and staying behind the rest of my team until it was out for MC.

I mean, that might have something to do with the MCII being one of the deadliest mechs out there. I always try to focus on them myself whenever I see them, because if I don't they are gonna lay out some serious pain.

#11 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:19 AM

View PostMoonShaman, on 24 February 2018 - 03:19 AM, said:

[...]
Am I being paranoid?
[...]

Yes .... and the fact that neither the Lanner nor the Fishly are particularely good mechs.
The Piranha is just 1A troll material and for both sides....next to useless for the own team if you are not a VERY good pilot (if you would be a very good pilot it wouldn't take you more than 3 evenings to get out of T4) and the Lanner is simply an averange mech without large ups or downs. It's dangerous if it gets an assault from behind and that is alone and when it attacks in groups, otherwise it's just a minor annoyance.

If you get shoot by your team often check your movement behavior.
Are you running from your team towards the enemy in a straight line ?
Do you tend to go below 100m on an enemy ?
Do you overtake your own assaults or heavys from behind them to get into firing range?
Do you tend to deathcircle an enemy ?

If any of that is true: Hasta la vista, backarmor.
And rightfully so, there is nothing more annoying than careless movement of lights and mediums when you pilot an Assault mech or a slow heavy that gets permanently overtaken by meds or lights blocking their line of sight or using them as mobile cover. And the faster the light the more aggravating the case since that light could simply go around your LoS or just attack from behind or from a flank.

If you seem to get singled out by the enemy ... as long as piloting a medium...easy kill for the enemy is mostly the reason and the lanner isn't the most durable mech....not as hillariously soft as the Uziel but similar or worse to the Stormcrow and weaker than the Huntsman.
If you get singled out by the enemy when piloting a light....well how is it posible enemy noticed you before you shot the first bullets ? You get my meaning ?

Edited by The Basilisk, 06 March 2018 - 07:32 AM.

#12 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 10 March 2018 - 11:56 PM

Some go for the easy kill, which both the Black Lanner and Piranha are, some are more strategic and go for the biggest threat.

The only way I found to survive in the Lanner was to never be seen, never be shot at. It has no toughness and is a fat front-facing target size. That alone makes it a preferred target. Get the 2-shot kill then worry about the rest is a winning strategy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users