Memory Decay And Game Crashes...

10 replies to this topic

#1 LycanKnight

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:22 AM

So after 6 years this leak is still persistent it seems...

Game runs great for 4 matches, after that the sound gets choppy and your FPS goes to crap steadily over the 5th match followed by your ping if you keep trying to play (insists you're running less than 80 in my case but when asking other players on the team they say your ping is well into the thousands. RAM usage spikes from 30% to 80% and if you're (un)lucky, you get disconnected from the match! It's become such a mood killer lately that i'm honestly half tempted to just stop entirely.

Re-downloading doesn't do squat, checking game integrity shows no problems yet you know there is just from looking at the multitude of people complaining about it on their primary forums since 2012, and doing a computer reset doesn't assist either. So, has anyone found a fix to this or is this just one of those "we'll just fix it next patch" for the next who knows how long...?

Connection is also just as unstable after the 4th match, as we just had 3 people in the same game DC, all three of us part of the same team, and 2 of us couldn't reconnect (all of us communicating on Discord when it happened). Utah Steel was the third individual who disconnected but he was able to re-connect and take this picture.

Would love to know if there's a workaround for this outside of "turn off the game before 5th match" because this is getting ridiculous...

Posted Image

System specs are as follows:

System specs:

Processor: I7-4790 quad core 3.6ghz

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB (16GB)

Graphics: EVGA GEForce GTX 970 w/4GB GDDR5

Power: 520 Bronze SeaSonic power block

Motherboard: ASUS Z97-A ATX board

Internet: Comcast/xfinity 25MBps internet package

Edited by LycanKnight, 26 February 2018 - 08:31 AM.

#2 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 February 2018 - 06:35 PM

doesnt seem to work that way at my end .... I can leave the client up for multiple days, and not get much issue or variance .... on the 12th or 20th game, it will slow down at pretty much the same places, assuming the conditions are similar .... nor does the memory footprint of the game constantly increase, at my end .... notice that wording, at my end ... because I'm not trying to tell you what happens at your end ....

I could imagine these problems occurring in a bunch of situations though .... primarily related to how much ram your system might have .... because if it ever decides it doesnt have enough .... things can go awry .... quickly .... and that goes for both categories, system ram, and video ram ....and you didnt tell us anything in particular about your hardware being used ... so I'll give you an idea of what I've got, to see the results that I do ....

ryzen 1600x - with SMT disabled to increase core performance
gtx1060 6gb - uses over 4gb of vram, with my 'alternate' high detail configuration
8 gb ddr4 - uses 2gb - 4 gb of ram for quickplay, could easily use double that for FP due to mech variance

now ... if you've only got 2gb of vram, or 4gb or under system ram, I'm thinking your going to need to take steps to avoid running out ... because when you run out, things are going to start hitting the page file, thats going to give a big performance hit, and if the response times are too slow, whack things might happen, which could easily lead to system thrashing and crashes .... if your graphics card only has 2 gb or vram, it might draw on system ram, which could exacerbate problems further ..... and if your page file is not on an SSD, your system probably self cripples anytime your in a game, and it needs more than it has

if your ping fluctuates wildly, and what you see is not consistent with what others are seeing, then that can be another layer of stuff going on at the network side ... windows 10 updates are very classic for this, but its far from the only thing that can cause it .... I've never really used discord to profile it either ... networking issues can be a whole other basket of eggs ... that contain things beyond your control .... but if your sure your suffering from a memory leak, its probably best to start there ... give us an idea of your system ram, video card, cpu, resolution, game settings and vague geographical location / type of internet connection

#3 LycanKnight

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 08:29 AM

View PostNARC BAIT, on 24 February 2018 - 06:35 PM, said:

doesnt seem to work that way at my end .... I can leave the client up for multiple days, and not get much issue or variance .... on the 12th or 20th game, it will slow down at pretty much the same places, assuming the conditions are similar .... nor does the memory footprint of the game constantly increase, at my end .... notice that wording, at my end ... because I'm not trying to tell you what happens at your end ....

I could imagine these problems occurring in a bunch of situations though .... primarily related to how much ram your system might have .... because if it ever decides it doesnt have enough .... things can go awry .... quickly .... and that goes for both categories, system ram, and video ram ....and you didnt tell us anything in particular about your hardware being used ... so I'll give you an idea of what I've got, to see the results that I do ....

ryzen 1600x - with SMT disabled to increase core performance
gtx1060 6gb - uses over 4gb of vram, with my 'alternate' high detail configuration
8 gb ddr4 - uses 2gb - 4 gb of ram for quickplay, could easily use double that for FP due to mech variance

now ... if you've only got 2gb of vram, or 4gb or under system ram, I'm thinking your going to need to take steps to avoid running out ... because when you run out, things are going to start hitting the page file, thats going to give a big performance hit, and if the response times are too slow, whack things might happen, which could easily lead to system thrashing and crashes .... if your graphics card only has 2 gb or vram, it might draw on system ram, which could exacerbate problems further ..... and if your page file is not on an SSD, your system probably self cripples anytime your in a game, and it needs more than it has

if your ping fluctuates wildly, and what you see is not consistent with what others are seeing, then that can be another layer of stuff going on at the network side ... windows 10 updates are very classic for this, but its far from the only thing that can cause it .... I've never really used discord to profile it either ... networking issues can be a whole other basket of eggs ... that contain things beyond your control .... but if your sure your suffering from a memory leak, its probably best to start there ... give us an idea of your system ram, video card, cpu, resolution, game settings and vague geographical location / type of internet connection

Sorry i forgot to post system specs when i posted this because i was aggravated with having to restart the game every 4 matches. Information of my machine is now up in the main post. but i'll post them here too

System specs:

Processor: I7-4790 quad core 3.6ghz

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB (16GB)

Graphics: EVGA GEForce GTX 970 w/4GB GDDR5

Power: 520 Bronze SeaSonic power block

Motherboard: ASUS Z97-A ATX board

Internet: Comcast/xfinity 25MBps internet package

#4 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 February 2018 - 09:53 PM

hmmm ok, lets talk, RAM ... in technical nitty gritty detail ... I also have vengeance RAM, and well ... some of its hit and miss ....in my case, my RAM is more suited to the memory controller in your CPU, than the one in mine, and thats forced me to spend ALOT of time messing with it, compared to if I had brought RAM that actually suited my CPU .... that being said, I'm not unhappy about it, just unhappy about the amount of time I've spent with it to become happy .... and mechwarrior actually made a better memory stress test than most of the stress tests available .... I had plenty of settings that were solid for memtest86 etc for more than 12 hours, but MWO would crash before the 6th game .... I guess its the 4th game for you ... eventually I found that memtest would start failing during test 9 after about 18 hours or so, sometimes causing a hard lock, others a reboot ....

so, about the RAM .... the vengeance name has been used longer than any batch of memory chips have lasted for .... so im actually going to need you to open your case, and check the version number, which is only printed on the sticker on side of the chips .... heres a picture of mine, PS, sticking a phone in and taking a photo might be the easiest option ... https://imgur.com/trg6tyV .... and the version number reflects which manufacturer actually made the chips .... mine is 4.24, which correlates to a samsung e-die ... the line at the top should be the kit model number, thats probably pretty useful too as it tells us what speed its rated for .... but I think yours might be earlier, and DDR3 ?

I quickly skimmed over a video of the BIOS in your motherboard, and it seems to be fully featured allowing for plenty of configuration .... and thats great, in some ways .... because you get lots of options to mess with .... that can also mean, lots of options you could set wrong, or in the case of the average user, never set anything at all, and just hope for the best .... you'll want to check what speed its set to run at, whether XMP is in use or not, and check the 'strap' the cpu is on .... higher tends to translate into better performance ...
Spoiler

Edited by NARC BAIT, 26 February 2018 - 09:54 PM.

#5 LycanKnight

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:14 PM

View PostNARC BAIT, on 26 February 2018 - 09:53 PM, said:

hmmm ok, lets talk, RAM ... in technical nitty gritty detail ... I also have vengeance RAM, and well ... some of its hit and miss ....in my case, my RAM is more suited to the memory controller in your CPU, than the one in mine, and thats forced me to spend ALOT of time messing with it, compared to if I had brought RAM that actually suited my CPU .... that being said, I'm not unhappy about it, just unhappy about the amount of time I've spent with it to become happy .... and mechwarrior actually made a better memory stress test than most of the stress tests available .... I had plenty of settings that were solid for memtest86 etc for more than 12 hours, but MWO would crash before the 6th game .... I guess its the 4th game for you ... eventually I found that memtest would start failing during test 9 after about 18 hours or so, sometimes causing a hard lock, others a reboot ....

so, about the RAM .... the vengeance name has been used longer than any batch of memory chips have lasted for .... so im actually going to need you to open your case, and check the version number, which is only printed on the sticker on side of the chips .... heres a picture of mine, PS, sticking a phone in and taking a photo might be the easiest option ... https://imgur.com/trg6tyV .... and the version number reflects which manufacturer actually made the chips .... mine is 4.24, which correlates to a samsung e-die ... the line at the top should be the kit model number, thats probably pretty useful too as it tells us what speed its rated for .... but I think yours might be earlier, and DDR3 ?

I quickly skimmed over a video of the BIOS in your motherboard, and it seems to be fully featured allowing for plenty of configuration .... and thats great, in some ways .... because you get lots of options to mess with .... that can also mean, lots of options you could set wrong, or in the case of the average user, never set anything at all, and just hope for the best .... you'll want to check what speed its set to run at, whether XMP is in use or not, and check the 'strap' the cpu is on .... higher tends to translate into better performance ...
Spoiler

Got to say i'm grateful for the help here because you've shown me a ton of help compared to what i've gotten from support (who is stumped at what is actually causing these problems by the way) , and yes the RAM is DDR3 so a bit older. Just shut 'er down and had to pull one of the sticks out for a clean shot
Spoiler

I've messed with the configs a little bit but nothing like what you've hinted at. Mainly setting it to run performance rather than standard or economic and keeping the fans on the case at full speed. (had a bad experience with liquid cooling bursting during summer gaming sessions 3 years back, been running case fans and heat syncs since.) so i'll definitely check out the XMP, straps and a few other things the video you linked helped enlighten on so i'll be going through that and doing some trial and error attempts. Posted Image

Update: Changing straps, XMP, and other performance enhancements helped with overall gameplay (smoothed out some choppiness during drops from the air-ship and gave a more crisp activation time for the computer overall), but the issue still persists.

Goes from 800,000~ CPU usage to over 1.7million, ping skyrockets from 60 to 15000 and stretches/turns audio to static. Attempting to play 4th match greeted me with an unresponsive computer until the end of the battle, where i was promptly greeted with cacophony of noise as it all caught up in one sudden burst... All within 4 matches.

Edited by LycanKnight, 28 February 2018 - 09:15 PM.

#6 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 01 March 2018 - 04:20 AM

Mainly setting it to run performance rather than standard or economic

Just to be clear, these settings were in the system bios on the first screen? If so for the time being keep the Standard setting. Performance setting overclocks the system. The non-k version CPU will have a limited range for multiplier increase plus increasing the frequency, aka the CPU strap (or BCLK Strap). Base BCLK is 100 with a max of 125. Depending on the one button push for OC if at least one component may not be up to it wish cause more issues than it is worth,. While Eco button is for power savings and will constantly be looking at when fans kick in, lowering CPU speed, etc.

System Power settings - Set to High Performance - Reducing CPU throttling and core parking.

Edit.

With any changes to the bios, it is always good to run some stress tests. MWO a good at this but it ties everything in. Also run Prime95 blended torture test for at least 30 minutes while monitoring temps and overall memory usage.

And for the memory, are those 4 sticks matching sticks? Suggest dropping it down to 2 sticks of 8 megs total, purely for testing purposes with MWO. Narc Bait will surely have more information.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 01 March 2018 - 04:26 AM.

#7 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:44 AM

the general consensus on your ram sticks seem to be positive, with many people able to push them a few notches past what they are rated for, 1866, 2133, and a handful of people who stabilized 2400 mhz .... I really expected changes to the RAM frequency to have altered the consistency of the issue, I was kind of expecting it to have been happening sooner, if it was what was causing your issues, but if you gained some performance overall, then it hasnt been wasted time at least ....

so, next on the list of weird I guess, internet ... and potentially firewall software you may have on your pc ... whats your conenction media, ie, are you using a cable or wifi connection .... if your using wifi, let us know what network adaptor you've got, and then take a look at the router your probably supplied with, with regards to its model number, and how many years you might have had it for .... even if you dont use the wifi chip on the router, it can still 'go bad' after a few years and cause weird hiccups in the embeded linux systems that no one ever looks at properly, which can be time dependant ... alot of the early SPI (stateful packet inspection) firewall implementations are junk too, to really rule network stuff in / out download the program below and have it run while you experience the bug ... once you understand what its showing you, you can see if/where the network connection is having issues ...

View PostAlexander Garden, on 05 August 2015 - 11:08 AM, said:

Recommended Method (click the Show button to reveal steps)
Spoiler

I briefly mention firewall software before ... but another possibility is two antivirus softwares fighting for dominance with the game, its not a common configuration, but weird things tend to happen on a case by case basis ...

beyond that, you might need to get really drastic, and enable the in game logging, though I dont tend to recommend this, if you load it to maximum, by the time you get to the fourth game, the file will be between 100 - 200 megabytes, of junk, and duplications, and things that make no sense, and thousands of meaningless errors ...

#8 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:57 AM

Just to add. What are your in-game setting details?

Update sound drivers.

Now for testing only, disable sound/music completely for the game.

Create a file called user.cfg and place it in your MWO folder. Open it with notepad and add these two lines.

s_SoundEnable 0
s_MusicEnable 0

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 01 March 2018 - 06:59 AM.

#9 LycanKnight

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:04 AM

View PostNARC BAIT, on 01 March 2018 - 06:44 AM, said:

the general consensus on your ram sticks seem to be positive, with many people able to push them a few notches past what they are rated for, 1866, 2133, and a handful of people who stabilized 2400 mhz .... I really expected changes to the RAM frequency to have altered the consistency of the issue, I was kind of expecting it to have been happening sooner, if it was what was causing your issues, but if you gained some performance overall, then it hasnt been wasted time at least ....

so, next on the list of weird I guess, internet ... and potentially firewall software you may have on your pc ... whats your conenction media, ie, are you using a cable or wifi connection .... if your using wifi, let us know what network adaptor you've got, and then take a look at the router your probably supplied with, with regards to its model number, and how many years you might have had it for .... even if you dont use the wifi chip on the router, it can still 'go bad' after a few years and cause weird hiccups in the embeded linux systems that no one ever looks at properly, which can be time dependant ... alot of the early SPI (stateful packet inspection) firewall implementations are junk too, to really rule network stuff in / out download the program below and have it run while you experience the bug ... once you understand what its showing you, you can see if/where the network connection is having issues ...

I briefly mention firewall software before ... but another possibility is two antivirus softwares fighting for dominance with the game, its not a common configuration, but weird things tend to happen on a case by case basis ...

beyond that, you might need to get really drastic, and enable the in game logging, though I dont tend to recommend this, if you load it to maximum, by the time you get to the fourth game, the file will be between 100 - 200 megabytes, of junk, and duplications, and things that make no sense, and thousands of meaningless errors ...

I'm using a cable to run up to a wireless router/modem set. (an older Netgear router "WNDR3700v3" which was the initial thought on what may be the issue, but i'm not so certain since it doesn't cause errors on any of the 60+ games i play on a regular basis involving online competitive gameplay. But i've been proven wrong before.)

Modem is from Comcast (DOCSIS 3.0) And i've already tried multiple instances with my antivirus off and on. I run AVG, that's all when it comes to anti-virus programs, as for a firewall i turned it off for 2 sessions (4 games each), with no changes. Turned it back on this morning. I do have Malware-bytes for manual runs and CCleaner for clearing out junk files/registry removal from uninstalled programs, but they don't boot up until i actually turn them on.

In-game settings were one of the first suggestions from the support desk. I usually run on the Default-High settings, but dropped it to medium on Tuesday and Low on Wednesday to continue tests. Both of which did nothing to help with what is going on here sadly. So my settings have returned to being on High.

Some of the guys on the unit were saying about sound being a possible issue back on Monday after the support desk went silent, I tried running it with the sliders to zero, made it the same distance of 4 games both Monday and Tuesday during medium quality tests.

A bit of information that may or may not help though: During my chat with support (which lasted the weekend and ended on Monday with silence after informing them of this.) i managed to get the game to run for 4 hours (10 games + 2 clan matches) without interruption by doing something a bit less straightforward, they had me go into "regedit" and change the game's internal "DWORD" registry from 0 to a bunch of " f ". This somehow got it running again, but upon turning off the game, leaving the house for an hour and returning, the game returned to its normal problem I've been having.

Edited by LycanKnight, 01 March 2018 - 09:33 AM.

#10 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:49 PM

you might want to be cautious with the WNDR3700, depending on a few factors, they tend to be vulnerable to exploiting ... and they tend to spit out that wifi signal fairly far, which opens up more possibilities for attack .... and there are multiple vulnerabilities that the standard firmware has .... hell, I had times in the past when I kicked people off their own internet because they annoyed me, playing WOW, or torrenting .... most of the time when I've got near them, they've been 'sidegraded' to run 'openWRT' instead of the default firmware, which for some models is actually just running an early version .... of their free stuff .... now dont get me wrong, I tend to LOVE netgear routers, because almost all of them can be hacked, and forced to do more than the manufacturer recommended .... and changing the default wifi password tends to not be enough to keep smart people out .... vulnerabilities in the WPS protocol literally give out the password to anyone who knows the WPS PIN, which alot of the time, you cant change, you can change your password, but if someone has the PIN, they get resupplied the new password instantly ... and those PINS, theres only 11,000 possible combinations, because of the way its split into two sections and a crc byte ....

your DOCSIS 3 modem is another story ..... you should probably try to find its address, and try to login to it, it might have some useful information in its logs, but the cable that goes into it ... essentially you share that cable with hundreds of other people .... and not everyones very nice, we used to mess around with DOCSIS 2 modulations, and it used to be possible to 'eavesdrop' someone elses connection ... because its all on teh same media ....

checkout the winMTR program, its free, not overly complex, and can show you information to yell at your ISP on occasion ... beyond that, make sure that mechwarrior is considered to be an exception to AVG ....

#11 Villainy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 115 posts
  • LocationSomewhere there is Ramen

Posted 24 March 2018 - 04:36 AM

Hey, this might be a necro, but I was curious if you were still having the problem, mainly because my PC and your PC are nearly twins. I've never experienced this issue whatsoever, and I run at maxed out settings, with like 12+ chrome tabs, listening to music, and playing MWO with my roommate. The only thing different in your list is I have windows 8.1.

Our Hardware is identical, so if you're having this issue, it may be unrelated software/os/background processes, and not anything to do with your hardware. I've been playing for 4+ years and never had this issue.
Just poking my head in to say so.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users