Hbk-4G(F) Time To Dust Of Ole Painless

4 replies to this topic

#1 RecklessFable

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 167 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:26 PM

I'm trying to come back to the game and I think I get the whole skill tree thing. I had enough points to max my Founder's Hunchie, so I got that going to for me... Though I have to admit, it seems to both fire slower, heat quicker AND handle sloppier than it once did.

What I'm trying right now is:
AC/20 w/ 4 tons
3 Medium Lsers
Light 260 engine
1 Double Heatsink
Light Ferro
Endo

So essentially the classic build with one more ton of ammo. Is that in line with MWO in 2017?

#2 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:17 AM

While I think the AC20+medium lasers build is timeless (I've used it for years on my Blackjack and most recently used it on my Uziel 2S), medium lasers have been nerfed so they don't have the same 4 second synergy with the AC20. Also the weaponry clan mechs can bring to bear are very potent so you can't bully your way around the battlefield like you could with the build in the early days of MWO.

That being said, it's still a very decent medium mech build that is good when operating alongside a heavy or assault mech. You just have to make sure you don't get picked apart at longer ranges before you're able to bring your weapons to bear inside 300m

#3 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:02 AM

A mech's agility - that is, torso speed, acceleration and deceleration speed - are no longer linked to the engine it has equipped. This was dubbed the engine de-sync, and as a result each chassis has its own stats for those values. Some variants also have different values, sometimes faster, sometimes not, in order to introduce some variety/give some disadvantages to a particularly strong variant.
This may explain why even with a 260 class engine, which previously would have made the mech quite nimble, it feels like it steers and handles like a sail barge even though the top speed is 83-ish. It's offset a little bit by the skill tree, but only a little

#4 Darrious Quinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 244 posts
  • LocationUS East Coast

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:19 AM

View PostAudacious Aubergine, on 09 November 2017 - 04:02 AM, said:

A mech's agility - that is, torso speed, acceleration and deceleration speed - are no longer linked to the engine it has equipped. This was dubbed the engine de-sync, and as a result each chassis has its own stats for those values. Some variants also have different values, sometimes faster, sometimes not, in order to introduce some variety/give some disadvantages to a particularly strong variant.
This may explain why even with a 260 class engine, which previously would have made the mech quite nimble, it feels like it steers and handles like a sail barge even though the top speed is 83-ish. It's offset a little bit by the skill tree, but only a little

This.

OP, you stated that you had enough points to "max" the skilltree out for the Hunchie, but where did you assign them?

The Hunchback can still hold its own in a brawl, let the AC20 do its thing. The skillpoints should, IMO as a hunchie fan, is best served in Toughness and Agility trees. Aubergine nailed it. The Engine De-Sync, overall, made mechs slower and a little sluggish compared to what we were accustomed too. If you put points into agility, namely the Torso Speed skills, that will help bring the chassis back up to where you remember it, or at least as close as you're going to get.

You'll make mistakes with your first few attempts with the skilltree. I had to respect more then a couple, but once you understand how it all adds up and affects the mech, you find yourself reusing the same skill builds over and over. Don't fall into the misunderstanding that you have to dump all the points into a tree in order to fill it up or have everything. Cheery pick to what the mech is doing and how you want it to act. For example, my Founders Hunchie has most of its points in Survivability and mobility with firepower 3rd. Then I spread points into operation for heat skills and sensors for at least partial radar dep.

Remember you can plan out your sills in the mechbay a you want, you just cant commit them unless you have the SP available. So you can meta the hell out of it until you find something you like.

#5 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:07 AM

even before "engine desync" I found a 250 granted a little more wiggle room in terms of ammo (and I do in fact need every round on occasion) but since i reinstalled (still not spending money due to gm tolerance) I found the latest tech additions to is have helped me improve it a bit more. I usually play 4g as my credits mech. sometimes i have some pretty solid games like this when I'm playing to the 4g strengths.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Just try to stay away from any meta mechs, then the hunchie age shows. In terms of skills it should be obvious but if you need help I'll screenshot that for you. Even though I'm not sure if my selections are the best.

Edited by Battlecruiser, 17 May 2018 - 03:10 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users