- - - - -

Guass Or A/c Sniping Viable?

26 replies to this topic

#1 PhoenixStorm

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:10 AM

Was wondering with a Medium Mech, can I do well with a sniping autocannon or guass gun build using burst damage?

#2 Feezou

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 01:37 PM

First off, what mech do you have in mind? Auto cannons and Gauss rifles are quite different. Gauss rifles deliver a stronger punch at the cost of DPS. Assuming you are going for AC2 or 5s, they are weaker, but are DPS oriented. It can work for certain mediums for a mobile platform, but I wouldn’t recommend it. Heavies make much better snipers IMO but at the cost of mobility. Also, is it going to be an IS or Clan mech?

You could go with a Hunckback with a Gauss rifle. I'd honestly recommend a dual ERPPC Shadowcat, though. The Gauss rifles are heavy and ammo dependent.

https://mwo.smurfy-n...dd349716f0a01cf

I just threw this build together. I doubt it works, but it can carry a Gauss and goes a good speed. There are probably better mechs for this. I might as well test it out.

By the way, AC2s are easily your best bet. For a heavy I'd reccomend a Jaeger with dual Gauss.

#3 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 05 March 2018 - 02:01 PM

You didn't specify if you wanna do clans or not. If clans, a HBK-IIC would work great. You can actually run a dual gauss sniper like https://mwo.smurfy-n...b11dfa8038a9c12

IS can't run dual gauss, but I've had a lot of fun on a dual light gauss bushwacker running this build: https://mwo.smurfy-n...212d64a72e92b03

If you wanna do an AC medium sniper, the BSW-X1 is also your best bet, like this: https://mwo.smurfy-n...c433a8bfcfbb79b

Edited by Eisenhorne, 05 March 2018 - 02:39 PM.

#4 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 02:32 PM

shadow hawk 2k has some great quirks for dakka, is fairly quick and has a JJ.
i run 2xAC/5+AC/2 on it, and all you gotta do is ridge peek.

you can also do the huntsman with 1xGauss and 5xERM for some good vertical trading ability on top of it's natural mobility allowing you to "easily" poptart the gauss.

AC sniping and gauss sniping usually have too low DPS in a medium to dedicate yourself to the role, or require too much facetime for the armor you have, stay aware of your team and keep yourself aware of how the enemy is moving, or you will get rotated on.

#5 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 05 March 2018 - 04:55 PM

From the start I will admit that I'm biased because I've played over 850 matches in the mech and really enjoy it, but I'd like to draw your attention to the Blackjack BJ-1's long distance builds. Of note to start are the BJ-1's quirks:

Heat Dissipation: 7.5% AC/2 Cooldown: -10% Ballistic Cooldown: -10% Ballistics Heat: -5% Ballistic Velocity: 10% Ballistic Range: 20% Energy Range: 10% Base Armour (CT): 7 Base Armour (LT): 6 Base Armour (RT): 6 Base Armour (LL): 6 Base Armour (RL): 6

The ballistic quirks will allow you to use many of the longer range ballistics to good effect and the armour quirks will give you the ability to survive a bit longer with an XL engine and allow the return of the old school brawling builds when using the armour hardening skill nodes and a 225LFE engine

Tweaking the stock build makes for a nice little long distance harasser: BJ-1 With the distance and velocity quirks you can deal damage from halfway across the map (AC2 864m range; 1728 max range)

Here's the build I used for my first >1000 damage match (minus a JJ and light ferro): BJ-1 Just keep hitting them with the Gauss Rifle, and when things get closer use the medium lasers.

This dual AC5 build will allow you to contribute to the match at longer ranges and is cool enough to be a solid closer range build (so long as you're not the center of attention): BJ-1

Here's a fun dual UAC5 build: BJ-1 Just keep using the UAC5s until you run out of ammo, then use the lasers until you win or are killed. An extra ton of ammo instead of the SLs is a viable option.

The above are build I like but ballistics isn't all it can do: BJ-1 Dual PPCs with MGs and lasers when things get close.

To bring the battle closer here's a nice AC10 build: BJ-1 It uses an LFE engine for durability. Since it's getting into a closer range build.

Here's the Boomjack 2.0: BJ-1 The original Boomjack is the Champion build. The original is still potent but with better mechs and weapons entering the battlefields you can get downed quickly with an XL Engine Check. The 2.0 version combined with the armour hardening nodes can return the Boomjack to close to original brawling effectiveness when piloted well. The AC20 is just a satisfying weapon to fire, and when it hits the enemy will feel it.

And to close, the Blackjack's big brothers the Rifleman and the Jagermech are also worth looking into for some good ballistic based mechs, though note that the Jagermech its big and barrel-chested so it can attract a lot of fire. As a counterpoint, you can fit dual AC20 or Dual Gauss on it so you can bring the FLPPD pain.

#6 PhoenixStorm

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:45 AM

is the hunchback hbk-4g good? seems it has better quircks than the bj-1

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:08 AM

It is. Typical builds tend to run slow to moderately fast. The mech however focuses more on firepower and tanking damage.

I have dozens upon dozens of older videos of how awesome it is before quirks. The mech's given quirks that are meant to capitalize on how it would have stood out if not for PGI's "you can customize everything" approach. Basically it has a big gun and as much armor as many heavies in Battletech, and its reflected in the quirks.

This is not a 4G but its more energy-prone cousin the 4H. But effectively the same thing.
Vid 1
Vid 2

And here's the Hunch hero Grid Iron vid. Grid Iron is basically a cross between a 4G OR 4H and 4SP.

Here's a fast build using the 4G, though this video is old. Whether you use LBX or AC or UAC or Gauss is up to you. There's advantages to each.

For a long range build, I really enjoy 3 AC/2s or 3 LBX-2s. For medium range, I prefer 2 UAC/2s and an AC/2 and lately I've been doing UAC/2 + AC/2 + LBX-2 (because I'm me) to somewhat surprising success (I didn't think it'd be any good, but I started climbing the tier too fast again...and now I seem to be going up faster.)

Edited by Koniving, 06 March 2018 - 08:11 AM.

#8 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:14 AM

I do love me a good HBK-4G. Personally, I made a tonne of sacrifices to fit a dual uac5 build in there. Comparing the blackjack and the Hunchback, I prefer the hunchback, for sustainability.

Low calibre Acs aren't exactly sniping though. Its more long range sustained fire, (until jamming if'n you're using uacs.)

~Leone.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:17 AM

Someone mentioned a preference for twin ER PPCs over ACs or Gauss for sniping.

Here's a Hunchback 4P with twin PPCs, a TAG (to help with aiming by showing me the path of my PPCs before I fire and to take note of invisible walls) and 6 medium lasers. Few years old, basically with quirks and the new skill tree it'd only be better than it was (but so is everything else).

Just to give an idea of what twin PPCs (or ER PPCs; just a little hotter with no minimum range) would be like.

(Rewind to the beginning of the video and you can see exactly how I built this stock armor [reallocated but still stock 320 pieces of armor] twin PPC, tag, 6 ML Hunchback 4P).

Edited by Koniving, 06 March 2018 - 08:19 AM.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:32 AM

Twin UAC/5 is doable; good aggressive damage there.

I run that on my Blackjack so I'm not big on it for my Hunch. Have two 4Gs, a slow heavy hitter and a fast harasser/finisher. A twin UAC/5 would be a good go-between.

Single UAC/10 can get a similar result but with slightly less range (and damn is it hot though). Bit more like sniping, however, than the UAC/5s.

Looks like I'd use either an LE 200 or 220 for a twin UAC/5 build. Lower if ammo is really that important. This said, could just do UAC/5 and AC/5 and throw in an XL 250 and get the exact same free tonnage for ammo and other weapons...

Just depends on how much you value speed versus tankability, but since most people don't aim for the smallest (and weakest) side torso, I rarely have an issue of dying like that.

But if you lost the right torso with such a focus on ballistic firepower... you might as well be dead anyway.

Edited by Koniving, 06 March 2018 - 08:33 AM.

#11 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:36 AM

View PostPhoenixStorm, on 06 March 2018 - 07:45 AM, said:

is the hunchback hbk-4g good? seems it has better quircks than the bj-1

I own and like the Hunchback 4G as well, but there are differences between the BJ-1 and HBK-4G. The 4G can't jump and the right side of the cockpit is dominated by the hunch - you won't see any mech coming from that direction without turning. Also the main weaponry in the 4G is intended to be put in the torso which limits its range of motion.

In contrast the Blackjack BJ-1 is intended to have its main weaponry in its arms. That allows for a greater range of motion, with the ability to shoot up or down at an enemy. If you scout out the maps before hand you can find places where a Blackjack can shoot at an enemy with the enemy not able to bring his torso mounted weapons to bear. Add to that the ability to jump to gain more altitude and you can deliver your damage while avoiding the return fire. The BJ-1 is more about maneuvering around the battlefield to get in the right spots while the HBK-4G is about pummeling the enemy with AC20 rounds face to face.

Because I consider the HBK-4G primarily an AC20 carrier it wasn't really in line with your original post, but if you want a mech that uses the AC20 to it's fullest then the 4G is a very good choice.

#12 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 06 March 2018 - 09:06 AM

HBK-4G, uac 10
HBK-4G, uac 5

Sure, it seems like they'd be comparable in damage until you consider the faster refire rates of the 5s. They out damage a dual rac5 build. The ten is much lighter though, and allows for more extras. Honestly, I use a 200 rated engine with more ammo an some ams, I was just showcasing the build here. As always, tweak for your own edification.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 06 March 2018 - 09:08 AM.

#13 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 06 March 2018 - 09:11 AM

View PostPhoenixStorm, on 05 March 2018 - 11:10 AM, said:

Was wondering with a Medium Mech, can I do well with a sniping autocannon or guass gun build using burst damage?

It is Gauß or Gauss.
After the quite crucial omniscientific Carl Friedrich Gauß witch layed the basics for modern understanding of magnetic fields, statistic normal distribution and various other quite usefull thingies everyone should know about. Posted Image

But otherwise...no sniping, regardless of what weapon you use is feasible or usefull (from a team point of view) and especially not from an medium platform that has neither the payload nor the heat capacity to put out enough damage to justify the therm 'sniper'. (someone who delivers quick instadeadly firepower over long ranges)

Edited by The Basilisk, 06 March 2018 - 09:12 AM.

#14 Torothin

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 09:51 AM

Personally a SHC-B is the better choice for sniping. You fit it out with 2 ER PPCs and you can spam from range all day long and you the speed to re position yourself if need be. Gauss sniping in theory sounds good but it's better in the 500 - 800 k kill zone. While ER PPCs can hit from 1600 K out.

#15 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:57 PM

View PostKoniving, on 06 March 2018 - 08:17 AM, said:

Someone mentioned a preference for twin ER PPCs over ACs or Gauss for sniping.

Here's a Hunchback 4P with twin PPCs, a TAG (to help with aiming by showing me the path of my PPCs before I fire and to take note of invisible walls)

A TAG to show you PPC flight? lol... TAG also gives away your position. What a horrible idea for anyone new playing. Added to the fact it is also a waste of tonnage and the build overall is mixed ranges. All the wrong decisions/choices occurring there.

View PostKoniving, on 06 March 2018 - 08:08 AM, said:

This is not a 4G but its more energy-prone cousin the 4H. But effectively the same thing.
Vid 1

For anyone watching this Vid - a good example of what not to do.

Always alpha your lasers and use cover. Firing in 2 groups and then the AC is spreading damage all over the place and also leads to missed shots. Both of which are prolific in this video.

View Postzudukai, on 05 March 2018 - 02:32 PM, said:

shadow hawk 2k has some great quirks for dakka, is fairly quick and has a JJ.
i run 2xAC/5+AC/2 on it, and all you gotta do is ridge peek.

you can also do the huntsman with 1xGauss and 5xERM for some good vertical trading ability on top of it's natural mobility allowing you to "easily" poptart the gauss.

AC sniping and gauss sniping usually have too low DPS in a medium to dedicate yourself to the role, or require too much facetime for the armor you have, stay aware of your team and keep yourself aware of how the enemy is moving, or you will get rotated on.

Now this is the good advice, from a excellent player no less.

Either way Phoenix, in answer to your question, IS Gauss / AC sniping isn't a thing because IS Gauss takes up soooo much tonnage as stated. You really need to be in a Heavy.

cGauss can work in a Huntsman as posted above, as it is lighter and less crit slots as well taken up. Which means you can actually run some ammo on it.

Either way if you really want to "snipe" then it is ER Large Lasers or cERPPC. Don't use IS ERPPC as they are just waaay to hot for a Med IS Mech as you cannot carry sufficient heat sinks to cool it off.

The HBK has been mentioned a few times and here is a rocking build for a 4P ERL if you want to snipe, this is excellent at it. Also a Skill Maze for you. If you don't want to use consumables early then do THIS INSTEAD. The trick is obviously don't stand still or in the one spot for too long. You wanna supress and mitigate incoming fire from bigger mechs and this one does a good job on the IS side. Or the SHC with 3 x cERL works quite well but not ideal.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 06 March 2018 - 10:58 PM.

#16 denAirwalkerrr

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:25 PM

From ballistics nothing aside from UAC2s and C-Gauss can’t be used effectively for “sniping”.

On IS side it’s almost exclusively DRG-5N 3xUAC2 and 6xUAC2 ANG-2A/KGC-000 but last two aren’t for beginners. On clan side 5-6 UAC2 NTG. For C-Gauss NTG sucks and probably only two mechs that do them well right now are 2xGauss+2xHLL+2xERML MCII-1 and 2xGauss+2xERLL+4xERML DEATHSTRIKE.

P.S. Never listen to people recommending you build from their 4 years old videos dealing 400 damage within 10 minutes game.

Edited by denAirwalkerrr, 06 March 2018 - 11:32 PM.

#17 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 07 March 2018 - 02:25 AM

I've tried playing single-gauss mediums (mainly Shadow Hawks), and it's a hard way to play this game. To get some additional punch, I always end up packing lots of ML, and then you're really using the the gauss as a generalist mid-range weapon, with the option of some long-range shots -- which does work kinda, but then you're no longer a sniper.

The sniping party starts at dual gauss, and on the IS side the classic solution is the Gauss-Jager. The civil war 'tech helped that classic build a little as light-ferro gets you some tonnage for armour and the ERML's are the ideal secondary weapon.

IMO that 'mech still works nicely, but it's perhaps not something for beginners, you really need to position carefully to get enough shots off without putting yourself in danger. At least in higher tiers, people really love popping JagerMech side torsi.

As noted above, AC's really aren't sniping weapons anyway, but about sustained firepower.

#18 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 07 March 2018 - 06:15 AM

I never could get the hang of Gauss. Good Luck.

Edited by Spare Parts Bin, 07 March 2018 - 06:16 AM.

#19 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 07 March 2018 - 06:18 AM

The hunches with either Gauss or the energy one with ERPPC's. The shadow hawks can be nasty with the triple AC 2's, but you can use gauss. Then the one energy Shadow hawk with three ERLL's or two ERPPC.

There is also the Phoenix hawks with ERLL's or a rotary with some laser back up.

the clans well the ECM shadow cats are hard to beat. Just one gauss, but the dual ERPPC is just nice and you can change it out with LPL's or ERLL's. Now the huntsman you can do a very good dual ERPPC pop tarter.

Just remember look at the quirks and build from there. Some surprising combinations just pop up and work.

Even the rotary 5 4X raven.

The black jacks can boat AC 2's, the vindicators the PPC's or LL's. the enforcer with AC and energy mix.

Then that annoying Cicada with one or even two ERPPC's that moves and scoots.

#20 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 07 March 2018 - 07:17 AM

View PostSpare Parts Bin, on 07 March 2018 - 06:15 AM, said:

I never could get the hang of Gauss. Good Luck.

Try to treat the Gauss Rifle like a bow and arrow - hold the button down to pull the string, let go to fire. Be calm and methodical rather than running around trying to snapshot moving mechs; it's not about shooting a mech before they can shoot you, it's about putting the gauss round right where you want.

Another trick is to put your Gauss Rifle on all your unused weapons groups. This means all your unused weapons group lights will light up yellow when you hold down the button and turn green when it's ready to fire. For example I might have the Gauss Rifle on group 1, secondary weapon groupings for groups 2 and 3, then for groups 4 through 6 I'll also link to the Gauss Rifle. When I hold down the button for the Gauss Rifle four lights will charge up and turn green around the targeting reticule instead of just one, making it easier to tell when you're ready to fire.

I'd also suggest dropping into Tourmaline Desert to practice shooting at mechs from a distance while moving. You can take longer range shots at the Cataphract, Awesome, and Cicada, and medium range shots at the Atlas, Jenner, and Commando. If you have jump jets the Catapult is a good target for practicing jumpsniping.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users