48 replies to this topic

#21 Undercover Brother

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 323 posts
  • LocationThe Hood

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:07 PM

In theory, a long-range sniper/support mech could use an XL to gain a speed advantage to go from one firing position to another, avoiding return-fire and (hopefully) keep larger mechs from getting too close for the long-range weapons to be ineffective.

A medium mech can sacrifice some armor or weapons for an XL, if they are designated hunter-killer mechs. They use speed to catch recon units unawares, and to get in behind the weaker rear armor of larger mechs.

A light mech can use an XL in a true recon capacity, for more speed, but usually (because of an XL's size) only does so by sacrificing some armor or weapons.

As for heavies and assault-class mechs: Again, in a support/sniper role, XL can be good... If you want to get deep in the sh*t though, critical damage can be done to an XL much easier than a Standard, and the speed increase from switching is neglegible.

#22 Stunner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 236 posts
  • LocationNM

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:42 PM

I was wondering if XL engines would though allow my mech to have more armour and perhaps add a few heat sinks to shoot longer from long range. Since I normally pilot a cat yeah getting my RT and LT cored means I'm loosing my ammo anyway and dead anyway so why not go for broke.

I don't know if it's possible yet in the mech lab.

#23 Graefin Zeppelin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationHunting pirates at Sisyphus's Lament

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:51 PM

Thats exactly what the Centurion needed, a XL Engine. Especially its right torso...........

#24 Enervation

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 161 posts
  • LocationD/FW, Texas

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:29 PM

I'm in the depends-on-your-mech boat, but i agree that the heavier you get, the less appealing it becomes. Although to be fair, there are some assaults which are completely outgunned because of the engine; just look at the original Tbolt vs Zeus comparison.

Edited by Enervation, 28 July 2012 - 07:30 PM.

#25 Seabear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationMesquite, Texas

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:12 AM

I will swap out for an XL engine to give more speed to my Centurion 9AL. Turns a great mech into a fantasticly versatile machine - speed, armor, weapons!

#26 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,743 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:20 AM

But remember, you give up the ability to slug it out toe to toe, because if you lose a side torso you're done.

You bought that XL engine to increase your mobility, so you have to keep mobile or die.

#27 sweetlime

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:36 AM

I want to play Raven scout and I think it comes standard? I won't be sticking around deep in battles. There is always the chance I'll get sniped, but I'll try to use smarts, speed and stealth abilities to avoid that.

#28 Wintersbite

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:56 PM

I'm having great fun with one in my Jenner. Not so much in my Hunchback or Atlas.

#29 chaz706

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Utah

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:05 AM

Assault mechs should avoid XL engines like the plague.

#30 Onii Guyver

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 17 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:21 AM

View Postchaz706, on 31 July 2012 - 06:05 AM, said:

Assault mechs should avoid XL engines like the plague.

I can see why but 5 large lasers alpha strike instead of 4 with the heat sinks to deal with it makes a difference.
I've always prefered to play laser boats in BT and MW not so much in MW:DA though.
but the con that is constantly pointed out XL engines get your left or right torso taken out and your toast - makes you have to think about heat and ammo explosions as well and CASE just won't have an effect.

Edited by Onii Guyver, 31 July 2012 - 06:33 AM.

#31 Borgadun

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:57 AM

I play my atlas without XL engine. good loadout and heat-management by now, and I will not use it until FF-armor. And even at that time it is still a high risk to be blown up by a lucky shot a the ammo holding torsopart.

I don´t how far the correct reactor-crit function works, but in the tabletop it was 3 hits. a blown left/right torso will blow up an IS version of XL-engines, but Clan version will not.

#32 GioAvanti

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:13 PM

Bros -

There's a reason why most mechs use an XL engine. The only reason not to use an XL engine is that you A) don't have one or :) the mech was supposed to be cheap to produce.

Standard engine = more durable.
XL engine = more space (which can mean more durable, better speed, better weapons)

That's pretty much why everyone will be using an XL engine if given the chance... unless are going to try and just soak firepower for the people with XL engines....

#33 Khanahar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 560 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

Serious necro, eh?

XL engines are highly chassis-dependent.

They're great in Cats, Dragons, or any light 'mech. In any of those 'mechs, the RT/LT just isn't terribly likely to get killed much or at all before the CT.

They're terrible in Centurions or most Assault 'mechs because the side torsos frequently go down early.

#34 GioAvanti

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:28 PM

View PostKhanahar, on 23 October 2012 - 12:25 PM, said:

Serious necro, eh?

XL engines are highly chassis-dependent.

They're great in Cats, Dragons, or any light 'mech. In any of those 'mechs, the RT/LT just isn't terribly likely to get killed much or at all before the CT.

They're terrible in Centurions or most Assault 'mechs because the side torsos frequently go down early.

Eh as an ex Multiplayer Battletech Player I can just say your statement is false (if the player has an idea how to shield).

However its true if you put ammo in a side torso spot.

#35 EyeOne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,488 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCockpit, Stone Rhino

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

It's generally not worth it. I've only done it on long range snipers when I absolutely had to.

I don't think dying so easy with is worth a few extra tons.

#36 GioAvanti

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:36 PM

View PostEyeOne, on 23 October 2012 - 12:35 PM, said:

It's generally not worth it. I've only done it on long range snipers when I absolutely had to.

I don't think dying so easy with is worth a few extra tons.

Gotta learn how to shield (I see some people doing it already) I've only died one extra time because of an XL engine... and I was dead anyway.

Also its a needed choice on anything that has a bigger engine.

Edited by GioAvanti, 23 October 2012 - 12:41 PM.

#37 Khanahar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 560 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:29 AM

View PostGioAvanti, on 23 October 2012 - 12:28 PM, said:

Eh as an ex Multiplayer Battletech Player I can just say your statement is false (if the player has an idea how to shield).

However its true if you put ammo in a side torso spot.

Might have been different in MPBT, but in MWO, shielding doesn't eliminate the need for standard engines in some 'mechs.

I play mostly Centurions, so shielding is my bread and butter. But it's not an unlimited tactic. Eventually, your LA get blown off and either you're shielding with your side torsos. What makes the CN9 great in general is its 2 CT energy slots, allowing you to keep doing damage even if both arms and side torsos (hopefully in the order LA, LT, RA, RT) have already been blown off.

#38 Dandyman

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationCentral PA

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:53 AM

I had an XL320 in my Dragon for all of two matches. The repair bills were insane. I sold it and put in FF/ES to try and free up space. The repair bills for the FF are pretty crazy too, but not as bad as the XL. It's too bad, I really liked the LBX10 on the right arm and the LPL on the left.

#39 Jason1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 800 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

XL engines cost alot and cost alot to repair. that will be a bigger consideration than the space savings, imo

#40 Psylico

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:14 AM

Using an XL depends on your play style. It's clear that it makes you more vulnerable but it also frees up tonnage for weapons, allowing you to do more damage in a smaller window of exposure. It's certainly a trade-off and forces more unit cohesion because XL equipped mechs should not tank damage and instead work around standard engine brawlers as sponges while the XL mechs strip off the enemy's critical components.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users