• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:44 PM

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4xjjXP

Simply put, a friend is putting together a PC, and apparently there's a APU in there. They'll be adding in more stuff overtime but....

I REALLY feel like that APU is unnecessary. But I'd like to hear from you guys what you think personally of why it's good or bad. (Mind you they're putting a GTX 1050 Ti into it later down the road)

#2 Ragashar

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 61 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:01 PM

The APU is unneccesary if you are going to tag on a separate GPU in any case, but that is integrated in the processor unit and it would seem to be heading this way from all parties (AMD and Intel). The fact is that there is some type of a GPU on a PC in any case. Be it from 2005 or 2020... Mostly the ones that come with the processors are very low powered and if you want to play games, you will need a serious GPU.

Now, as this MWO Forum, MWO is a very CPU centric piece of software. So you need a good processor more than a really high end GPU. But as it is already what 5 years out, any new processor should play this game pretty well. Unless you go out of your way to get a really low end CPU on your PC. My i5-2500k is still handling MWO, and other games I play, like a champ.

Damn, just realized, my computer is almost 7 years old... Man, that never used to happen back when I was young. But with just a few upgrades (mostly GPU side and SSD) have kept it going well. There is no reason to upgrade at this point.

Just to sum it up, the APU is not needed with the 1050Ti going in, but it comes with the package, so what you going to do??? Not like they are offering the same processor with the APU and without, or are they?

#3 GweNTLeR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 583 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:18 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 08 March 2018 - 09:44 PM, said:

This APU is quite powerful and might even provide1080p@60fps on low-med settings in MWO. It has a very similar to r3 1200 performance, and very close price. Basically you get that integrated video for free.

Edited by GweNTLeR, 08 March 2018 - 11:20 PM.

#4 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:38 PM

I'd think it would be a a perfectly fine machine, for general usage ... for MWO ... the jury is out ... and would really depend on how much you expect from it .... I reckon with a trimmed user.cfg ile, it could be made to work quite happily ...

BUT, I'd seriously swap that ram .... you want it to be rated for 3200 mhz minimum ... but its going to be worth doing now, and not later .... for the meantime, running less than that will impact FPS from the onboard GPU .... the difference will probably be %5 - %10 ..... and an AIO watercooler will help it stay reasonable before the upgrade parts come out .... probably more useful than an actual SSD to the average person ....

also, there is a warning with that list of parts, that you may need to update the BIOS before it will acknowledge that CPU .... and this could turn into a problem for the average person if you dont have a spare AM4 processor sitting around that it will recognise, and boot, to do the update .... AMD have a remedy for this, where they mail you a processor that your supposed to mail back to them ... so you can get the job done .... but, if your not aware of it, it could seriously mess up the build day ....

Edited by NARC BAIT, 08 March 2018 - 11:41 PM.

#5 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:56 AM

Well, the major cons to an APU are that it is reliant on having high-performance system RAM to perform its best and it is more susceptible to heat throttling.

The higher-end Ryzen 5 APU is definitely the way to go instead of the Ryzen 3 APU, but a full-on Ryzen 5 CPU and dedicated GPU would be the better approach overall.

#6 DFM

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 261 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:45 PM

View PostxWiredx, on 09 March 2018 - 08:56 AM, said:

Well, the major cons to an APU are that it is reliant on having high-performance system RAM to perform its best and it is more susceptible to heat throttling.

The higher-end Ryzen 5 APU is definitely the way to go instead of the Ryzen 3 APU, but a full-on Ryzen 5 CPU and dedicated GPU would be the better approach overall.

The cpu/gpu is a lot more expensive than the $99 ryzen 3 combo though... If they are planning on putting the 1050TI in it off the bat, the Ryzen 3 2200 doesn't make much sense.

Me? I would spend the money on the 2200, and as much ram as fast as I could afford, and wait on the GPU. Then Gpu, then swap out for a faster r5 or so.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users