Head Tracking, 'loose' Arms

4 replies to this topic

Poll: Head Tracking, 'loose' Arms (5 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want a toggle for head-tracking locked Adv.Zoom PiP?

1. Yes (5 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. No (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Do you want the option of controlling only the arms/arms-primary control with a hold/toggle for controlling arms+torso simultaneously?

1. Yes (5 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. No (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 TheoLu

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 73 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNapier, South Africa

Posted 10 March 2018 - 02:02 AM

I play with head-tracking on a monitor. I can't not play MWO without head-tracking having grown so used to it.

However, there's one thing which really bugs me, and that's the advanced zoom's PiP window being locked to your head...

Consequently, it's practically unusable. I can only see it being *partly* usable if one were to be using a HMD where your display moves with your head, but even then it'd probably be a little fiddly to use.

As such I'd like to request a toggle to lock the PiP to where one is aiming rather than where one is looking.

And on the note of locks, in Mechwarrior 3 it was possible to play in a mode where your arms were controlled completely separately from your torso. I'm confident people have asked about this numerous times in the past.

Please implement an option to control the arms primarily, using a 'hold' key to rotate the torso instead, or using dedicated torso-twist keys instead. This would allow for significantly more immersive and tactical play, since there are many mechs which have highly-flexible arms which currently see minimal to no benefit to having those since you're essentially forced to twist your torso out to its extent in order to make use of that functionality.

This is *bad* for mechs which have a slow torso twist rate where you might want to use something like an AC on a mech to your left/right while you want to use your torso-mounted weapons on something dead-ahead of your torso instead.

'kaythanks.

#2 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:21 PM

Engine limitations have be cited in the past as the reason why these are not possible. If they get around to upgrading to UE4, then this might be possible.

#3 TheoLu

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:36 AM

Doesn't make sense to me. In Crysis 2(?) and 3(?) you can, via graphics settings, see a magnified view of what your scope's pointed at despite the fact it's 'decoupled' from your head/viewing direction.

#4 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 31 March 2018 - 10:46 PM

While I'm no programmer, I don't actually think this is Crysis 2 or 3...

#5 TheoLu

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 02:07 AM

It uses the Crytek engine. Ergo, what other games utilizing the engine are capable of, this game utilizing the engine ought also be capable of.

The split arm+torso control at the least is most definitely possible, as the arms can already be aimed independently of the torso (twist far enough and your arms can still yaw/pitch independently of your torso which has locked into its extent).

Being able to make use of such functionality would be immensely useful for people in better-camouflaged ECM/stealth mechs whose arms aren't quite as prominent who want to be able to take covert shots without exposing their position through excessive, unnecessary torso movement.

Take a look at this video for an example of where a lack of mech movement and usage of the free head camera/head tracking and/or arm control can be immensely useful:

This same sort of gameplay can apply for mechs using nothing but ECM too; it's not limited to those with stealth armour nor appropriate camo patterns/colouring. You'd be surprised how often I've parked on top of buildings with my Mist Lynx and been completely ignored by the enemy team because they thought I was 'part of the furniture', taking pot-shots at their backs using a PPC when I was confident everyone was looking away from me.

Now, being able to control just ones arms, especially in a little mech like that, would be useful as its most prominent physical feature are its bulbuous shoulders/its torso in general.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users