#1 Neutron IX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts
  • Location"Soylent Green. It's what's for dinner."

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:59 PM

Greetings, Mechwarriors!

So here we are, now on Phase 2, and since I had some great suggestions from some of our community on builds to try during Phase 1, I thought I'd open it up for a follow-up.

So, on the following mechs, who has builds they like that could be good for earning those KMDDs?

1). Panther -

2). Blackjack -

3). Dragon -

4). King Crab -

5). Arctic Cheetah -

6). Stormcrow -

7). Timber Wolf -

8). Highlander IIC -

I'm feeling like Panther may prove tricky, and also possibly Blackjack, and maybe even Dragon. Clan mechs this time look promisingly easy, though I certainly hope not to come back with a mouthful of foot after actually trying them out... Posted Image

Cheers, all!

#2 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:33 PM

For the Blackjack, the trial mech is all you need Posted Image .

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#3 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:03 PM

For my Blackjacks I use some pretty standard builds. For the Blackjack-1 I use 2x AC2s alongside 4x MLs with a XL225. The Blackjack-1DC I run with a smaller XL190 dual AC5s alongside six SLs. For the Black-1X I run an XL280 with six MLs and two SPLs. None of these are particularly creative but they all do a good enough job. I would say that the 1DC is probably the best suited for KMDDs. The 1X definitely has a lot of room for various PPC builds though. 2x Snubnose PPCs and 6x SLs is a high risk but moving at about 110 KPH and delivering about 12 DPS isn't bad. Much as I love my BJs they're squishy with those XLs. Course, as Conky says, the AC20'jack is viable. I don't really like it personally - I find it unreliable for doing damage, feel that the confrontational nature of the AC20 runs counter to the very squishy nature of the chassis, and just overall don't have as much fun as you have to spend more time waiting to fight than in other more traditional builds. Still, its viable and its free.

For the Stormcrow running a streakboat is easy as sin. You can run a mix of SRMs/SSRMs and SLs for a close ranged fighter that runs very hot but can tear apart almost anything bigger than you with ease due to the Stormcrow's good speed. You can also run a toned down version of the heavy laser Hellbringer with it. Stormcrow is versatile enough with its pods that there's no way that you can't find a build that dishes out the damage in spades. None of them wll be great all of the time but the high damage builds should be able to deliever you at last one or two KMDDs per match.

#4 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:03 AM

Most of the champion builds seem pretty solid for this kind of thing - the quad UAC5 King Crab, for example.
I'd change the Panther's one to have a pair of snub nose PPCs instead of the two regular ones then use that extra tonnage for a bigger engine. As long as no one is shooting you back, putting 2x AC2 onto a BJ-1 works hilariously well if you can get a solid line of sight at someone. Because of how long the optimum range is, you're still doing maximum damage at at least 600m away

#5 Brethren

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:01 AM

Usually brawl or vomit mechs tend to do quite well on the KMDD end. LRMs as well, but are less reliable in doing so.

1). Panther - I've tweaked the -10K a bit. It carries a light and a heavy ppc instead of 2 regular ones. Worse cooldown, but one additional ton to play with. Still might take a while to get KMDDs, but we only need 3 anyway.

2). Blackjack - I'll probably either use a streak-jack (-2) and hunt for lights or go laser vomit (-1X).

3). Dragon - I might give the trial dragon a try. If it doesn't work out I've got a RAC-Dragon (RAC5+RAC2) to finish the job.

4). King Crab - If you don't get KMDDs in 100t mechs, you either had really bad luck or you're doing something wrong. Posted Image

5). Arctic Cheetah - I smell either a sextet of machine guns or ER mediums.

6). Stormcrow - Streak-Crow (5xSSRM6) could very well be the easiest choice, but SRMs (5xSRM6+Art.) or laser vomit (6xERmedium+1LPL) will work fine.

7). Timber Wolf - Well, here's a swiss army knife if a mech. The trial version lacks ambition for my taste. Cool running, but I think it misses a bit of boom. I've been experimenting with the Set-of-8 quirks (Posted Image ) and found the TBR-S (4xSRM6, PPC, 3 HvySmall) surprisingly neat to play. On the other hand a TBR-A (6xMPL, ATM12) is quite cool running for its firepower.

8). Highlander IIC - Aside from the IIC-C the HGNs are missile platforms and since missiles deal a ton of damage there should be no issue here. LB10+4xSRM6+Art. or ATMs or LRMs - just keep to your battle buddies so you don't get overrun. Posted Image

#6 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:24 AM

View PostRip Snorgan, on 12 March 2018 - 07:59 PM, said:

2). Blackjack -
a. BJ-1X with 8xML. Remember to put your torso lasers on a separate group from your arm lasers.
b. BJ-2. Deck it out with 4xSSRM-4 or SSRM-6 (but that one will lead into heat and ammo issues) and go light hunting.

3). Dragon -
5N is arguably the best variant. I run two of those, one with 3xUAC2, the other with a UAC10 + 2xLL (although you could run 2xUAC2, that option tends to be hotter).

4). King Crab -
LFE 350 or higher (your choice), 2xAC20 (must be chainfired) or 2xUAC-10, six tons of ammo, Medium Lasers. Fill with heat sinks and a Targeting Computer if you still have tonnage to burn (projectile velocity helps you land shots on target).

7). Timber Wolf -
Take TBR-A, swap arms for Prime's, put 8x MPL there and group them into two groups four and four. Fill space with heat sinks, Targeting Computer if you have remaining tonnage.You can do this on -C and -D if you take -A torso pods. Prime and -S can still do 7xMPL.

Edited by Horseman, 13 March 2018 - 06:28 AM.

#7 Bluefalcon13

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 355 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:19 PM

Did my Panthers in this last night. Hella fun, and surprisingly effective even though it is slow as hell. Spec for RAC stuff, mobility, and survival (add in the chassis quirks, hello 35T tank...)

https://mwo.smurfy-n...a15d5d9266c9bf4

Edited by Bluefalcon13, 13 March 2018 - 12:20 PM.

#8 Neutron IX

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts
  • Location"Soylent Green. It's what's for dinner."

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:36 PM

Got KGC done last night.

Was able to use the quad UAC/5 loadout on my 000(L) that I apparently set up ages ago and totally forgot I did, so didn't have to spend a dime in set-up costs (though I did spend some to buy skills as I played it).

Going to tackle the Dragon tonight. Haven't fully settled on the build I want to try. Already owned both Heroes and the Champ, and picked up the last two I didn't have for c-bills with the sale. So many options! Horseman's builds look good, and I also had a pretty solid looking recommendation on a Flame build that I'm considering.

I'll report back with results.

And P.S. THANKS, EVERYONE!

#9 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:16 PM

Dragon 5N 3xAC2 2xerml and a SRM2 1ton top speed of 70

#10 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:23 PM

View PostHorseman, on 13 March 2018 - 06:24 AM, said:

5N is arguably the best variant. I run two of those, one with 3xUAC2, the other with a UAC10 + 2xLL (although you could run 2xUAC2, that option tends to be hotter).

What engine did you run with the UAC10 + 2x LL build?

#11 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:50 PM

View PostAudacious Aubergine, on 13 March 2018 - 09:23 PM, said:

What engine did you run with the UAC10 + 2x LL build?
XL 280. It can be fragile, but once you get the hang of it the mech will survive engagements most of the time.

Edited by Horseman, 13 March 2018 - 09:53 PM.

#12 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:53 AM

If mechs have an abundance of weapon hard points most likely you should go brawl, because brawl -> high DPS -> Easy KMDDs.

For those that can't brawl I suggest:
Panther with 3LL
Dragon 3uAC2s
HGN IIC has a variant that can do SRM6+LB20 but let's face it that like an Orion IIC but slower and larger I prefer this little jewel from the past:

Posted Image

This thing was imo the second best assault mech back when KDK 3 reigned supreme, it had awesome quirks and both uAC10 and LPL were better than they are now, there wasn't much talk about it because everybody was talking about KDK 3.

Then it was nerfed, PGI was mostly targeting other mechs but this one took nerfs from all sides until it was sent back to its DOA status it had achieved promptly upon release. And so it rested forgotten in the hangars of the few of us lucky enough to have lived the brief time when this mech reigned the battlefield, (almost).

Well turns out since that happened (about 2 years ago) as the mech slept the dream of dead mechs many things changed that have brought this mech back to life, LPL was improved a bit, uAC10 benefits from skill tree, other mechs' range quirks have generally been nerfed significantly, as has armor quirks across the board and finally this mech is widely regarded as bad one and received very generous agility stats, it turns accelerates and brakes very good for a 90 ton old lady.

All in all if you can't play the KDK 3 because how poorly it handles you can play this thing instead to get a feeling of what it used to be piloting it. It is a solid mech, fun, deadly at mid range, shields well with its enormous arms and twists fast enough to actually do it in compass with weapon recycling.

EDIT: Just after I wrote this message I played one match because I still needed 1 more KMDD, turns out I over did it a bit:
Posted Image
No consumables were spent.

Edited by Brizna, 14 March 2018 - 02:06 AM.

#13 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:04 AM

Any KGC builds which can do with (slightly) less than an LFE350?

#14 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:39 AM

You can always use STD 325 or even (ewww) the stock 300. if you don't feel like you require speed.

#15 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:50 AM

View PostHorseman, on 14 March 2018 - 10:39 AM, said:

You can always use STD 325 or even (ewww) the stock 300. if you don't feel like you require speed.

I've got an LFE325 atm - wouldn't want to spend more C-Bill on a build than the event is giving.

#16 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:19 AM

View PostExilyth, on 14 March 2018 - 10:50 AM, said:

I've got an LFE325 atm - wouldn't want to spend more C-Bill on a build than the event is giving.

LFE 325 is problematic due to the crit slots it takes up on the mech. Which model of KGC is it and do you have Endo-Steel on it?

You can pad the tonnage using MPLs , LLs or LPLs instead of MLs. Snub PPCs if it's the 000.

Edited by Horseman, 14 March 2018 - 11:24 AM.

#17 Bluefalcon13

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 355 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:27 PM

View PostExilyth, on 14 March 2018 - 10:50 AM, said:

I picked up a LFE 350 for my Zeus mechs, and now my king crab. When the dust settles, I think they will fit nicely in my resistance grasshopper too.

#18 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:24 PM

View PostHorseman, on 14 March 2018 - 11:19 AM, said:

LFE 325 is problematic due to the crit slots it takes up on the mech. Which model of KGC is it and do you have Endo-Steel on it?

You can pad the tonnage using MPLs , LLs or LPLs instead of MLs. Snub PPCs if it's the 000.

Why snub nose PPCs? If I remember they have short range, wouldn't a pair of ERLLs be better than an a pair of Snub Nose PPCs?

#19 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:37 PM

I had a tough run with the Storm Crow. Got my KMDDs but it was a frustrating how easy it was for enemies to strip my armor.

#20 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:53 PM

View PostSteel Raven, on 14 March 2018 - 04:37 PM, said:

I had a tough run with the Storm Crow. Got my KMDDs but it was a frustrating how easy it was for enemies to strip my armor.

What is your build?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users