• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 500 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:56 AM

View PostDogstar, on 14 March 2018 - 11:28 AM, said:

Thanks MWO, you killed my PC!

heh, MWO was the last straw for my old video card. What a coincidence, this isn't even the first time I saw somebody here say that mwo killed their video card. I did get mine working again though. I replaced it's heatpads and put on some new thermal paste and it works just like normal again.

View PostYosharian, on 15 March 2018 - 11:11 PM, said:

holy **** you ain't kidding

just looked up the price of a 1080ti on my Amazon, sure enough it's more than doubled

wow I am ******* glad I got it before that **** hit the fan

ikr. It's STILL going on. I felt lucky about getting my 1070 for 400 last year. I hardly see any available anymore, and those that are are well over 600 now, ridiculous.

#82 Dogstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,722 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:55 AM

Well to close the saga I managed to get a 1050 ti replacement a week or so later (but on a credit card!) so I'm back to my old (buy slightly shinier) antics

#83 LORD ORION

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:21 AM

It could just be that your computer cares about you.
In a desperate attempt to save you from yourself, your Gfx card volunteered to make the ultimate sacrifice.

#84 The Shameful Newb

Rookie

• The God
  • The God
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 06:28 PM

I think it was back in 2015 or 2014, the front-end module was mis-coded, and it caused GPU use to skyrocket. Sitting in the lobby for any length of time would cause severe overheating, but once I was in-game, there was no heating issues, so I would minimize the game while waiting for my friend to finish modifying his loadout to keep the GPU from overheating, as it was the only part of the game causing issues. It was an Nvidia GPU, at that.

Before it was actually revealed to be a coding error on PGI's part, it literally melted the fan off of my GPU and popped several of the caps on it's board.

And they never bothered to reimburse anyone for THEIR screw-up that damaged people's GPU's before anyone really knew what was causing it.

#85 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,404 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 26 November 2020 - 08:20 PM

Forum Moderator, please /Lock this 2-year thread. Thank you!

#86 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,750 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 26 November 2020 - 09:07 PM

View PostThe Shameful Newb, on 26 November 2020 - 06:28 PM, said:

I think it was back in 2015 or 2014, the front-end module was mis-coded, and it caused GPU use to skyrocket. Sitting in the lobby for any length of time would cause severe overheating, but once I was in-game, there was no heating issues, so I would minimize the game while waiting for my friend to finish modifying his loadout to keep the GPU from overheating, as it was the only part of the game causing issues. It was an Nvidia GPU, at that.

Before it was actually revealed to be a coding error on PGI's part, it literally melted the fan off of my GPU and popped several of the caps on it's board.

And they never bothered to reimburse anyone for THEIR screw-up that damaged people's GPU's before anyone really knew what was causing it.

Built in thermal limiters on any semi modern nvidia gpu would prevent this from happening unless you are manually overclocking and bypassing them with a custom bios. If that is the case then it's not pgi's fault your card ran out of control and blew up.

#87 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 09:16 PM

Posted Image

#88 GuardDogg

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 09:34 PM

Over the years, I kept buying video cards in hoping to improve MWO graphics. Told many times, that MWO is more cpu intensive. Graphic cards hardly changed the graphics. Now, I am using a Nvidia 1080ti. Even a 3080, will not change the graphic improvements for MWO. When I play MWO, I do not over clock, but increase fan speed to 50%. I do have the graphics at very high, but looks no different when graphic settings are at medium, high. When MWO first came out were the system requirements winxp, but now showing Win7? I forget. But these are the min requirements now. Heat, or even over clocking, not proper maintenance can damage cards.
  • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system.
  • Processor: Intel: Core 2 Duo E7300 @ 2.66 GHz / AMD: Athlon 64 X2 6400+ @ 3.2GHz.
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM.
  • Graphics: NVIDIA: 8800 GT / AMD: Radeon HD 5670.
  • DirectX: Version 9.0c.
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection.
  • Storage: 16 GB available space.

#89 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,750 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 26 November 2020 - 11:39 PM

View PostGuardDogg, on 26 November 2020 - 09:34 PM, said:

Over the years, I kept buying video cards in hoping to improve MWO graphics.

Have you tried MrVaads optimization scripts? They don't improve the textures but they do greatly improve the performance and fix the lodding issues with the flashing terrain and pop in structures. So in effect the game does look better by taking out the glitchy stuff.

#90 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,404 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 27 November 2020 - 12:20 AM

MrVaads optimization scripts

http://mwomercs.com/...es/page__st__20

http://mwomercs.com/...ide-and-usercfg

View PostMeep Meep, on 26 November 2020 - 11:39 PM, said:

Have you tried MrVaads optimization scripts? They don't improve the textures but they do greatly improve the performance and fix the lodding issues with the flashing terrain and pop in structures. So in effect the game does look better by taking out the glitchy stuff.

#91 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 27 November 2020 - 12:45 AM

View PostGuardDogg, on 26 November 2020 - 09:34 PM, said:

Over the years, I kept buying video cards in hoping to improve MWO graphics. Told many times, that MWO is more cpu intensive. Graphic cards hardly changed the graphics.
I mean, you were told they wouldn't. Why did you expect a different outcome?

When MWO first came out were the system requirements winxp, but now showing Win7? I forget.
If my memory serves MWO requires a 64-bit OS since a few patches ago. Windows XP is no longer supported, has a negligible market share by now and its' 64-bit version was atrocious.

#92 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 02:45 AM

its impolite to exhume the dead.

#93 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,750 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 27 November 2020 - 02:51 AM

View PostHorseman, on 27 November 2020 - 12:45 AM, said:

If my memory serves MWO requires a 64-bit OS since a few patches ago. Windows XP is no longer supported, has a negligible market share by now and its' 64-bit version was atrocious.

Win7 was the best os they came out with and of course they had to muck it up with cortana and all the info snooping stuff in win10. Thankfully you can disable all that stuff manually but its a bit of a chore as they keep adding in new spy stuff. Oh well this is my gaming pc and doesn't have anything useful to info thieves stored on it.

#94 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 27 November 2020 - 04:01 AM

Looks like Dogstar retired 2 years ago lol 8 months after the starting post. lol

Posted Image

#95 Fae Puka

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 04:16 AM

Heh. Still running MWO on a back up PC with specs far lower than yours, graphics card still quite happy at medium settings 1080p forced - GT545.

This thread hghlights something most folk forget - PCs are dust magnets, passing through a sustained flow of air to keep the case and components cool. This will always entail bringing in dust (btw the average(?) human sheds about 4.5kg of skin that becomes dust each year - lovely fact :)) that will slowly clog up your systems cooling components. A tin of compressed air will set you back £3 or $5 which should last you a couple of years if you open the case up and clear the fins on the cpu cooler, graphics cooler and pretty much the whole of the case - remembering the fan ports because these foul as well.

You've just been unlucky.

#96 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 03:24 AM

It is against the Code of Conduct to post in threads which have been inactive for extended periods of time. If you feel the old thread should be discussed, please create a new thread to generate necessary interest.

Turn Undead!
Posted Image

Thread locked.

Edited by Ekson Valdez, 30 November 2020 - 03:35 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users