What The Spider?

27 replies to this topic

#1 razenWing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:25 PM

So between concept art and actual release, there are bound to be discrepancies. I get that.

Black Lanner went from a sleek bird to a mini-EBJ. I am not entirely sure why, but let's say we just roll with it.

But man...

Sun Spider actual screen is released today, and WTF?

Like the whole concept art of the Sun Spider that you got people excited about ACTUALLY DOES remind people of those big camel spider in the desert. Like it's got fangs, a cool geometric hump, sleek slender legs, and it just looks cool in general.

Never would I pre-order had I known the final product look more like a Banshee. Like serious, doods. This is borderline fraud at this point.

I don't know who came up with the Sun Spider in the first place, but kudos, because it looks cool as hell. But man, your modeling team really need to fix something before release. Somewhere, there's a HUGE disconnect between what you guys are saying you are going to put out, and what you are actually putting out.

Cause, this is the 2nd mech release in a row with significant detectable deviation and with 2 fan favorites coming out, DO NOT BUTCHER THOSE.

(like at no point during production, not one person point out... "hey boss, maybe this isn't right. we can't keep lying to our customers?")

#2 Trenchbird

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:29 PM

Thicker legs, more squat torso/arm/chest... Not exactly a massive difference otherwise other than the very thin original legs.

Edited by Catten Hart, 14 March 2018 - 04:30 PM.

#3 Humpday

• The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:31 PM

Wut? It pretty much looks exactly the same as the concept art. And full renditions have been out for a while.

https://mwomercs.com...march-april-may

Edited by Humpday, 14 March 2018 - 04:37 PM.

#4 razenWing

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:41 PM

View PostHumpday, on 14 March 2018 - 04:31 PM, said:

Wut? It pretty much looks exactly the same a second the concept art. And full renditions have been out for a while.

https://mwomercs.com...march-april-may

Unless they changed it between then and now. Because when that was released, I remember that picture too, and no alarm was raised.

But look at this today....

https://mwomercs.com...1926ecc485c.jpg

It looks NOTHING like how it was back in the Roadmap. For example, one of the most recognizable feature is the appendage around the mouth, or the fang. That's completely gone. The side torse is supposed to situate BEHIND the CT cockpit to look more or less like a spider's body. That's gone too. Now, it just reminds me more like a Cataphract,

Like, look again, surely, you guys must see it too. Those two DO NOT look anything similar.

#5 EnochsBook

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 163 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:42 PM

Subjectively, the Sun Spider is going to be one of the best looking 'Mechs in the game by the look of those screenshots.
Slightly thicker legs and wider torso, not a huge issue.

Also, what was the last time the concept art for a 'Mech corresponded exactly to the in-game model? Maybe don't buy packs just based on the concept art.

#6 EnochsBook

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 163 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:47 PM

View PostrazenWing, on 14 March 2018 - 04:41 PM, said:

Like, look again, surely, you guys must see it too. Those two DO NOT look anything similar.

Lol, they look exactly the same.
The newer picture's quality is a bit low to tell if they are different.

Edited by EnochsBook, 14 March 2018 - 04:47 PM.

#7 razenWing

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:52 PM

View PostEnochsBook, on 14 March 2018 - 04:47 PM, said:

Lol, they look exactly the same.
The newer picture's quality is a bit low to tell if they are different.

um... i basically listed why they look different. But honestly, even if I don't point it out, how is it possible that you think they look "exactly" the same???

And no I didn't buy it for the concept art. And as with Lanner, the concept art looked different from the final product, but there's a limit. You can't sell Apples with a picture of an Orange. It's the same thing. There's some tolerance to acceptable differences. But a Sun Spider and a Cataphract look VERY DIFFERENT. That is NOT acceptable differences.

-----------

PS let's not even talk about the concept art. Even just compare between the April Roadmap VS the Screenshot today. THEY ARE WAY DIFFERENT. Click on both links, put them side by side, there is no way you can tell me that they are the same.

Edited by razenWing, 14 March 2018 - 04:54 PM.

#8 EnochsBook

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 163 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:06 PM

Yeah, I don't see it.

The STs are still behind the CT. If by "the appendage around the mouth" you mean the little handlebar-looking things under the chin then they are still there.

Again, the newest picture is poor quality and makes seeing small details and visualizing the perspective hard, but these 'Mechs look exactly the same to me.

#9 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:24 PM

I do not see a huge difference. For me the model is acceptable.

#10 BumbleBee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 527 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:25 PM

They look the same to me

#11 SeventhSL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:27 PM

View PostEnochsBook, on 14 March 2018 - 05:06 PM, said:

Yeah, I don't see it.

The STs are still behind the CT. If by "the appendage around the mouth" you mean the little handlebar-looking things under the chin then they are still there.

Again, the newest picture is poor quality and makes seeing small details and visualizing the perspective hard, but these 'Mechs look exactly the same to me.

Yer I don't see it either.

Meh... its tradition to have a DOA and concept art rage threads at this point in the release. We just need the walking animation rage thread followed by the simultaneous "Its OP" an "It sucks" threads after release . :)

Anyway I'm off back to the normal "MG/Light/LRM touched me in naughty place" threads. Maybe we should remove thread topic voting. I seem to see the same tread topics over an over.

Edited by SeventhSL, 14 March 2018 - 05:35 PM.

#12 VitriolicViolet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 592 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Melbourne

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:41 PM

the only differences are fairly minor. looks basically the same. did what you suggested and put thme next to each other, minimal difference

Edited by VitriolicViolet, 14 March 2018 - 05:42 PM.

#13 ForceUser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 894 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:41 PM

I don't see any big issues.

Banshee though? Might want to go check in with your optometrist, I think you might have a serious problem on your hands.

#14 razenWing

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:42 PM

View PostSeventhSL, on 14 March 2018 - 05:27 PM, said:

Yer I don't see it either.

Meh... its tradition to have a DOA and concept art rage threads at this point in the release. We just need the walking animation rage thread followed by the simultaneous "Its OP" an "It sucks" threads after release . Posted Image

Anyway I'm off back to the normal "MG/Light/LRM touched me in naughty place" threads. Maybe we should remove thread topic voting. I seem to see the same tread topics over an over.

Don't give me that crap. I didn't make one for the past 20 releases. (you can search my history) but there is no way those are the same from april roadmap vs the screenshot released.

#15 Trenchbird

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:44 PM

Posted Image

Relevant to OP.

Edited by Catten Hart, 14 March 2018 - 05:45 PM.

#16 Seranov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:48 PM

Posted Image

Uh, it looks like this. That other picture is looking up from slightly below, which makes it look squatter and fatter than it actually is.

#17 Alexandra Hekmatyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Marshal
  • Marshal
  • 774 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:51 PM

The art is more sleek then the actual mech is gonna be.
Not that I mind as a Marik loyalist in faction it will make it easier to hit.

#18 SeventhSL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:59 PM

View PostrazenWing, on 14 March 2018 - 05:42 PM, said:

Don't give me that crap. I didn't make one for the past 20 releases. (you can search my history) but there is no way those are the same from april roadmap vs the screenshot released.

Please don't take it personally. I'm just musing over the predictability of threads in this forum. You watch though, we will defiantly get walking animation and OP/UP threads. Set your watch by it.

Edited by SeventhSL, 14 March 2018 - 06:06 PM.

#19 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:12 PM

They both look ugly as Oprah Winfrey

#20 Lykaon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:20 PM

View PostEnochsBook, on 14 March 2018 - 05:06 PM, said:

Yeah, I don't see it.

Yeah apart from weapon configurations the basic chassis model looks like it is unchanged to me as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users